Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 01:00:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327628 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs for beginners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: RPGs for beginners  (Read 46441 times)
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »

Sorry, I should have said - The Adventures of Alundra is for PlayStation, not PlayStation 2.

Ah, so what...  It's nice to be able to recommend some great games to somebody who is willing to try them. 

Ah gotcha. Can only find the import copy on Amazon so I'll check the ebay.

I'm always willing to try something new because I don't want to stuck in a rut. Been playing WoW for a while and I realized that all I'm doing is running the instances over and over so I want to break away from that. Also, whenever I hit up the conventions, I always noticed that many cool cosplayers tends to do lot of characters from RPGs. I remember I saw this cool cosplayer and I ask her who she was dressing up. She said Sora from Kingdom Hearts so it piqued my interest a little bit. Recently, I saw this beautiful girl dress up like clown at con and I ask her who is she dressing up as. She said that she's cosplaying as Kefka from FF6.

So that's why I start this thread because I don't want to fall behind and appear clueless whenever I hit up the cons and see those cool cosplayers. Also, it's good opportunity to make up for my childhood since I never had a game consoles when I was growing up so I'm trying to get much games as I can so I can enjoy those to make up for my childhood.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 09:28:10 AM »

Glad to see you getting into RPGs!

Just be prepared, a couple of posts back when you listed the RPGs you'll probably get... that is years worth of gaming right there. Heck, I have a backlog of RPGs nearly a mile high and I've been playing them heavily for the past eight or so years!

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:41 AM »

I agree with Kup.

I would love to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind all those good RPG's and play them again.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »

Glad to see you getting into RPGs!

Just be prepared, a couple of posts back when you listed the RPGs you'll probably get... that is years worth of gaming right there. Heck, I have a backlog of RPGs nearly a mile high and I've been playing them heavily for the past eight or so years!

Damn, that's insane amount of backlog. Well, I don't mind years worth of gaming as long I really enjoy it. Like I said, I already placed an order for the games so I cannot wait to get them.

Star, I loled at that statement of yours. I don't blame you since it seem that you really enjoy RPGs a lot.

It seems to me that you guys sure are really passionate about RPGs and sincerely enjoy it unlike MMO players I encountered. Honestly, this is giving me great impression and I really cannot wait to start the gaming on RPGs. Thanks so much for sharing your passion with me. I really appreciated it a lot.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »

@MGShogun: Well aren't you just adorable.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »

Be warned that Suikoden games are not for everyone. I was already playing tons of RPGs and heard about the Suikoden series and that they were good. So I got Suikoden III and I hated every little thing in it. I even lent it to my cousin to see if he would find something to like about it or the problem was with me and we both hated it.

You have no soul.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »

At some point play FF IV (called II in the USA).  Going back that far gets more difficult and requires more trial and error, or a good walkthrough, but I believe that every RPG fan should play it.  I think it really set a standard for the series and RPGs as a whole.  It's not easy but not impossible either. 
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »

At some point play FF IV (called II in the USA).  Going back that far gets more difficult and requires more trial and error, or a good walkthrough, but I believe that every RPG fan should play it.  I think it really set a standard for the series and RPGs as a whole.  It's not easy but not impossible either. 

Fact. Its the game that made me an RPG fan back in the day.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »

FFIV was great back in the day and all, but it's aged pretty horribly. Then again, that might just because the last time i played it was the remake, and I really hate it when game speed is unnecessarily slow. It's my biggest pet peeve with better graphics in games (Especially turn-based RPGs), because they force you to sit through characters walking and swinging their sword for 5 seconds apiece when in the good ol' days it took like 1 second.

So yeah, personally I'd play the original SNES version, difficulty purists be damned. The playstation version has awful load times and the DS has the aforementioned hair-tearing game speed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »

So yeah, personally I'd play the original SNES version, difficulty purists be damned. The playstation version has awful load times and the DS has the aforementioned hair-tearing game speed.

The Playstation version only has awful load times when loading/saving games, though those ARE pretty bad. Still, I think the positives outweigh the negatives, and until we somehow see a perfectly emulated SNES version of an English "Hard"-type it's my top recommended version, followed by the SNES version. Haven't tried the GBA one to know how that turned out for sure, but it's probably on the level of the SNES version for which to play.

I also still stand by that it's aged better than most of its contemporaries; my bigger problem is that I grew up since it came out.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »

Oh yeah, there was a GBA version too. Guess I would recommend that one since it probably got a better translation and all, and being able to play on the move is a plus.

And don't get me wrong, I loved FF4 when I first played it, but out of the old FFs I'd rather replay FF5 for the gameplay or FF6 for the story, heh.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »

Well there IS the DS remake too. Not sure how hard it is though. I haven't exactly started a file.... My SNES version was buggy, but the PSOne version kicked my ass in the final dungeon. Great game though. I prefer VI though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »

I never understood the whole "hardtype" business. I remember the game being plenty challenging back when I played it as FF II on the SNES. And this was way before I became a wuss about challenge in games. No way would I want to play a harder version.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »

I already recommended Final Fantasy Chronicles a few pages back. It's a compilation of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger.

Be warned that Suikoden games are not for everyone. I was already playing tons of RPGs and heard about the Suikoden series and that they were good. So I got Suikoden III and I hated every little thing in it. I even lent it to my cousin to see if he would find something to like about it or the problem was with me and we both hated it.
I had the exact same problem. I didn't like Suikoden III at all either. 

MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »

@Starmongoose: Aww *blushing*

@Kup: I sure hope not.

@Lard: Lmfao!

@Okami and Yoda: FFIV that really good? Should I wait to play this until I have few games under my belt?

@Hathen: Don't have SNES version. X.X

@Eusis: Interesting statement about FFIV.

Just bought PS2 today so I'm excited about it. Should get the games in couple of days or so. I honestly cannot wait to play those games. :D I feel like I'm waiting for Santa Claus to deliver the stack of gifts under trees for Christmas.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: