Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318958 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  advice from you RPG experts...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: advice from you RPG experts...  (Read 2860 times)
Markatl

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »

Hi everybody.  So, I've been out of the console RPG realm for maybe 5 years or so.  I think the last game I played in earnest was Xenosaga 3 or Persona 4.  My short request is can anyone recommend any good, entertaining RPGs released in the past few years?  Here's some more info...

I grew up on all the classic SNES RPGS... graduated to the some of the 'best of the best' on the PS and PS2 such as FF series, Chrono Cross, Xeno series (my favorite), Star Ocean.  What I am looking for is story driven & interesting games probably targeted towards adults.  In my quest I've played the persona games and while entertaining they weren't necessarily the most 'deep' games - but better than some of the stuff i've seen on the shelves.

I'm a bit limited in my consoles, unfortunately I never made the jump to PS3... I do have a Wii & PS2 still.  I didn't figure it's worth it yet to buy a PS3 just for FFXIII, and from the reviews I've read I don't think I'll get one for that exclusive purpose unless somebody's pretty much giving it away.  I'm glad to hear about this game Xenoblade but I'm slapping myself in the face once I heard they're pretty much taking the heavy story elements from the game.  Could anyone make any suggestions?  What do you think?

P.S. sorry if there are any similar posts to this I did not scour the board.  Thanks
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »

The PS3 doesn't have *tons* of RPGs yet so not having one isn't so bad.

So you've played Persona and Xeno, I assume you've played all of them? As in Personas 1-4, Xenogears, all three Xenosagas? I know you mentioned a few of these. As for Xenoblade, we're not sure it's coming. It came out in Japan in the ...summer? and Nintendo hasn't told us a thing here yet.

If you liked the Personas, you might like the other SMTs. Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Devil Summoner 1 & 2 are all on the PS2.

Maybe try Shadow Hearts too. I've got Covenant but still haven't gotten to buying From The New World even though it's like $20.

The Wii can play GameCube games, but I've only played Zeldas and Fire Emblems for RPGs on those two systems.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »

I'm a bit limited in my consoles, unfortunately I never made the jump to PS3... I do have a Wii & PS2 still. 

You're fine then.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Markatl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »

Yes I've played Persona 3 & 4 and everything Xenogears/saga.  Thanks for the rec.

I've heard a lot about all of those SMT games. Last I heard they were a little hard to come by?  When browsing my local gamestop (that's all there is around Atlanta) I haven't been able to run across many copies.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »

Yes I've played Persona 3 & 4 and everything Xenogears/saga.  Thanks for the rec.

I've heard a lot about all of those SMT games. Last I heard they were a little hard to come by?  When browsing my local gamestop (that's all there is around Atlanta) I haven't been able to run across many copies.
Have you tried Amazon?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »

I recomend the shadow hearts trilogy. I think you'll like it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »

The only distinguished RPGs of this generation have been Valkyria Chronicles, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Tales of Vesperia, and Fallout 3. That's a mere five games to the virtual dozens of the previous generation. You are fine where you are, believe me.

For the previous generation, if you haven't played a Suikoden title, now is the time to fix that. Suikoden I and II are excellent, III is good (though different than the first two in certain key aspects), IV is a bit of a black sheep (lots of technical and directorial issues), and V is a great return to quality.

I also recommend looking into Front Mission 4 if you like SRPGs and a good future/modern military story. As well, look into Dark Cloud 2, one of my classic favourites.

This generation has sucked the dog's balls where RPGs are concerned. We're into the home stretch as far as generational lifespans go, and have piss-all to show for it. A combination of the economy going in the shitter, game development costs skyrocketing, and a lack of direction and innovation on the current consoles has left the genre bleeding from the ears.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »

Handhelds like the PSP or the DS are the way to find good RPGs nowadays.

The only distinguished RPGs of this generation have been Valkyria Chronicles, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Tales of Vesperia, and Fallout 3. That's a mere five games to the virtual dozens of the previous generation. You are fine where you are, believe me.

Demon's Souls and Nier say "hi, don't ever forget me again".
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:04 PM »

Persona 2, which I'm playing now, is worth a shot but is also rare.

Amazon is your best bet for the SMTs, they usually run for around $30 there. I got them all there. Only exception being Devil Summoner 1, it's out of print.

And yeah.. Nier's the only PS3 RPG in my library, actually. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:33:33 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »

I won't bring up Nier, but the lack of Demon's Souls is very disturbing. Better than all those combined if you ask me.

EDIT: beaten... damn it!

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

For the previous generation, if you haven't played a Suikoden title, now is the time to fix that. Suikoden I and II are excellent, III is good (though different than the first two in certain key aspects), IV is a bit of a black sheep (lots of technical and directorial issues), and V is a great return to quality.

I also recommend looking into Front Mission 4 if you like SRPGs and a good future/modern military story. As well, look into Dark Cloud 2, one of my classic favourites.

This generation has sucked the dog's balls where RPGs are concerned. We're into the home stretch as far as generational lifespans go, and have piss-all to show for it. A combination of the economy going in the shitter, game development costs skyrocketing, and a lack of direction and innovation on the current consoles has left the genre bleeding from the ears.

Demon's souls, Nier and Resonance of fate say hi.

Edit: lol

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »

Persona 2, which I'm playing now, is worth a shot but is also rare.

Amazon is your best bet for the SMTs, they usually run for around $30 there. I got them all there. Only exception being Devil Summoner 1, it's out of print.
If all else fails turn to ebay.

And yeah.. Nier's the only PS3 RPG in my library, actually. :)
I've been thinking about getting Nier but I heard it got some mediocre reviews.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »

i would stay away from vesperia. especially if you have played and liked abyss. the pacing both in terms of gameplay and story blows ass.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »

Edit: lol

lol Indeed.

The "experts" in gaming said that God Hand was a mediocre game too, and just like Nier is one of those game that you will enjoy if you like memorable games. Nier is really a good experience, with nice voice acting and a mighty awesome soundtrack to make things better.

Who cares about numbers when the game is actually better than the majority of JRPGs in this generation.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

The "experts" in gaming said that God Hand was a mediocre game too, and just like Nier is one of those game that you will enjoy if you like memorable games. Nier is really a good experience, with nice voice acting and a mighty awesome soundtrack to make things better.

Who cares about numbers when the game is actually better than the majority of JRPGs in this generation.
Ehhh...maybe I'll think about it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: