Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  advice from you RPG experts...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: advice from you RPG experts...  (Read 3029 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »

I've been thinking about getting Nier but I heard it got some mediocre reviews.

That it did. I try not to really give too much attention to reviews from more major outlets. When I look around here, see comments from other RPG fans (aside from our two reviews on the site), it's got a much better reception here than in mainstream. And just seeing it, it felt like my type of game.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »

Handhelds like the PSP or the DS are the way to find good RPGs nowadays.

The only distinguished RPGs of this generation have been Valkyria Chronicles, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Tales of Vesperia, and Fallout 3. That's a mere five games to the virtual dozens of the previous generation. You are fine where you are, believe me.

Demon's Souls and Nier say "hi, don't ever forget me again".

Demon's Souls I'll admit to forgetting. Nier doesn't qualify for me. Nier has only one thing going for it: Old man as a protagonist. Every other part of it has been done before, better, and with a colour pallet that wasn't a grey-green smear.

Nonetheless, the idea that you can count the good RPGs on your available fingers inside a console generation is deplorable.

I do not count Oboro Muramasa or Borderlands, btw. They have RPG elements and I realise we cover them, but they don't register on my personal RPG radar, much as Zelda and Snatcher don't.

i would stay away from vesperia. especially if you have played and liked abyss. the pacing both in terms of gameplay and story blows ass.

Your impeccable logic astounds me. Pray tell, why must someone play Abyss and not Vesperia, when the second is in fact a fine and gentle game?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:30:47 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:43:24 AM »

Hi everybody.  So, I've been out of the console RPG realm for maybe 5 years or so.  I think the last game I played in earnest was Xenosaga 3 or Persona 4.  My short request is can anyone recommend any good, entertaining RPGs released in the past few years?  Here's some more info...

I grew up on all the classic SNES RPGS... graduated to the some of the 'best of the best' on the PS and PS2 such as FF series, Chrono Cross, Xeno series (my favorite), Star Ocean.  What I am looking for is story driven & interesting games probably targeted towards adults.  In my quest I've played the persona games and while entertaining they weren't necessarily the most 'deep' games - but better than some of the stuff i've seen on the shelves.

I'm a bit limited in my consoles, unfortunately I never made the jump to PS3... I do have a Wii & PS2 still.  I didn't figure it's worth it yet to buy a PS3 just for FFXIII, and from the reviews I've read I don't think I'll get one for that exclusive purpose unless somebody's pretty much giving it away.  I'm glad to hear about this game Xenoblade but I'm slapping myself in the face once I heard they're pretty much taking the heavy story elements from the game.  Could anyone make any suggestions?  What do you think?

P.S. sorry if there are any similar posts to this I did not scour the board.  Thanks

Try Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits and Stella Deus for PS2.  Also try Skies of Arcadia for the Game Cube.  I found them all at a GameStop in Atlanta (Cumberland Mall) for 10-20 bucks each, but that was about 3 yrs ago.  Amazon probably has them in that price range.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 01:34:59 AM »

Mark, did you even play Nier?

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »

Mark, did you even play Nier?

Played, yes. Quit around 6 hours in, bored to tears. I may revisit it, but not anytime soon. I realise that the "full game experience" can only be had via multiple playthroughs, but being as sick to tears as I am about enigmatic JRPG plots, it just didn't hold me in place.

I realise it may simply be a matter of my being impatient, but I'm simply not willing to play a game three times to get the full effect right now. Maybe another time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:43:11 AM by Hidoshi » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »

Not to be a jackass, or one of those people who stalk someone else's online profile to make senseless arguments, but your generic and cookie-cutter complaints about the game, as well as your online profile not showing the game in your played list at all, makes it difficult for me to put any stock in your opinion about it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »

Either way though it is your word against Kyle and Pat's. Quite a few people who've gotten through the game love it, so it's a game that's definitely worth trying out rather than disregarding as just being some generic action RPG.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

Not to be a jackass, or one of those people who stalk someone else's online profile to make senseless arguments, but your generic and cookie-cutter complaints about the game, as well as your online profile not showing the game in your played list at all, makes it difficult for me to put any stock in your opinion about it.

How do you add games to your online profile?
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »

Well, as you please. Played it at a friend's yadda-yadda. I just don't buy games anymore unless I'm sure I can spend the money in good conscience.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »

Played, yes. Quit around 6 hours in, bored to tears. I may revisit it, but not anytime soon. I realise that the "full game experience" can only be had via multiple playthroughs, but being as sick to tears as I am about enigmatic JRPG plots, it just didn't hold me in place.

Nier's plot is actually a lot less enigmatic than most JRPGs, but no, they don't explain the whole thing in the first 6 hours...

As for needing multiple playthroughs, keep in mind that they aren't completely playthroughs.  You're not starting back at the beginning, and everything carries over so there's no need to redo sidequests or anything like that.  It's possible to get the second ending in just a couple of hours.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »

Nier's plot is actually a lot less enigmatic than most JRPGs, but no, they don't explain the whole thing in the first 6 hours...

As for needing multiple playthroughs, keep in mind that they aren't completely playthroughs.  You're not starting back at the beginning, and everything carries over so there's no need to redo sidequests or anything like that.  It's possible to get the second ending in just a couple of hours.

Curious. How many endings are there in NieR? I saw DR mention a third ending in the Game Journal.

(Yeah.. I still haven't broken into my copy of the game yet.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »

How do you add games to your online profile?

Ever played on the Xbox? It's automatically added, the only way to NOT have it there is by deleting it while you still have zero achievements. Similar for the PS3, albit only for games with Trophy support.

Also, it has 4 endings and destroys all your saves upon seeing the final ending. This is not a game you want to play through on a shared profile.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »

Also, it has 4 endings and destroys all your saves upon seeing the final ending. This is not a game you want to play through on a shared profile.

........what. I've never heard of that happen, haha. Good to know.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »

No no, it does make sense after all. I've just never seen a game do that before. Sounds like it'll be an interesting experience. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »

That'd be awesome if you didn't warn you and you called your friends over to show them the cool ending.

"DAMN YOU NIER! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU TO HELL!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: