Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334760 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition  (Read 2459 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »

Is the other DLC on the disc or is it a download code?

I've just un-sealed my copy now to have a look - I was interested in that myself.

It has 2 discs - one labelled as the main game, the other as "Additional Content Packs Install Disc".  To my suprise, it also has the redeemable code for the Mass Effect 2 Blood Dragon Armour.

So...the DLC is on the disc and is installed to the hard drive to play it with the game?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »

It does help, thanks a lot.

Definitely will be picking this up for PS3.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »

You see, this is why one waits. I'll probably pick this game up once it goes down in price.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »

I waited and it's certainly cheap enough for me now!  I picked it up on day 1 for £29.99

I worked out what I would have paid had I bought the game originally, the expansion and the 7 DLC expansions and it was something stupid like £80-£90!  This is already a bargain, don't wait any longer!

Oi, but it's $60 in my country, and that's way more than I'd be willing to pay. I'll wait until it's less than $30.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:14:24 AM »

Has anyone picked this up for the PS3 yet? When I put the disc in, it immediately installed a title update...I thought that all patches were already included with this game, unless title updates are different than patches.

I had the 360 version when it came out, and the PS3 version is prettier slightly, plus I prefer the PS3 controller.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »

I, too, will be receiving this game shortly, and I wanted to know what difficulty setting to pick.  I'm an RPG veteran, but I also don't obsess over making myself as powerful as possible, especially if the game warrants multiple playthroughs.

My chief concern is:  is normal so easy that I will be bored with the gameplay, and is hard so difficult that I'll become frustrated to the point of disinterest?

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »

I've yet to beat the game, but made it about 25% playing nightmare. From what I've read, normal is pretty easy for the experienced gamer. THe main changing point is that hard and nightmare have area of attack spells harm your allies which can be quite annoying.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »

I, too, will be receiving this game shortly, and I wanted to know what difficulty setting to pick.  I'm an RPG veteran, but I also don't obsess over making myself as powerful as possible, especially if the game warrants multiple playthroughs.

My chief concern is:  is normal so easy that I will be bored with the gameplay, and is hard so difficult that I'll become frustrated to the point of disinterest?

I played it on normal. There were some difficult fights and bosses but most of the game went smoothly. I usually play RPGs on the normal setting (except Ys 7, could have gotten away w/ playing that on a harder setting) but FPSes I play on hard or veteran.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 12:19:35 PM »

Difficulty settings depend on the platform, the console versions are somewhat easier because the friendly fire settings are lower, amongst other things, like less enemies on screen at once in certain battles.

Basically:
Easy - no friendly fire
Normal - 50% damage from friendly fire on PC, zero on consoles
Hard -  100% friendly fire on PC, 50% on consoles
Nightmare - 100% friendly fire on all platforms

I like having to position my characters and spells rather than just spamming them, so I'd start with normal (if on PC) or hard (if on consoles). If that isn't difficult enough you can change the setting at any time.

Once you get round to Awakening I recommend sticking to nightmare if you want to have any challenge at all (and even then it's still too easy for the most part).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:26:24 PM by DPB » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »

Consoles were dumbed down a bit as the tatical nature of the game sufferes a bit due to the control scheme. I'm playing a dagger rogue this round and find it much easier as I'm in the thick of the battle and can see what's going on, where as my bow rogue was too far from the action to see and react to giving orders effectively.

I would love to play this game with a mouse and keyboard on the PC.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »

I'm getting the PC version.

Thanks for the info about difficulty.  Is it just friendly fire that changes at various difficulties, or do the enemies get tougher in terms of AI/stats?

Also, how should I handle the downloadable content, having never played DA:O at all?  Should I go bare-bones, or should I add everything on?  Or is it all content that gets added after gaming completion?

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »

There's a table of the difficulty settings here.

As for DLC, I'd install it all. The Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar are integrated into the main campaign - you can play RtO and WK after you've finished the game but it doesn't make sense from a story persepctive. Awakening, Golems of Amgarrak and Witch Hunt let you continue using your character from the campaign. Darkspawn Chronicles and Leliana's Song are stand-alone adventures using pre-generated characters.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »

Thanks for the link and explanation.  Very helpful.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: