Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:57:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327560 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Piracy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Piracy  (Read 1039 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2006, 09:19:24 PM »

1up story on SiN episodes piracy

What're your thoughts on piracy, folks? First off, I'm not making this so you can talk about everything you've pirated and whatnot, or if you even do it, just your thoughts on the issue and how the various industries that this is relevant to are affected. Personally, I don't see it as a huge problem if something is old and hard to find, but pirating every new game while buying next to none doesn't sit well with me, espicially if you really like it and want to see more. Even if the company's not seriously harmed by the missed sales, I still consider it a 'thank you' for having made the game.

Nevertheless, some are too zealous about stopping it - we all know about the RIAA and Sony's shortlived rootkits afterall. And it's pretty obnoxious to have to sit through a long warning about piracy when booting up, say, Dead or Alive when that's not going to deter /anyone/ that cares to do so, and seeing the MPAA's campaign gets annoying at times.

Discuss.

Edit: I'll note that even when it's justified, I do not see it as being /right/.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:27:06 PM »

SOME pirating is helpful to the industry...like trying out a game and then going to buy it. Pirating can even bring about interest in games from the same developer etc creating more sales.

Many game developers, like lord british, have said that they like people to play their games, and if it takes it being pirated then so be it, but at the same time they need the revenue.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:28:25 PM »

Tv shows I don't see a problem with. I guess it's the recording argument. I can tape a tv show and watch it, fast forwarding through comercials(And now I guess tivo or whatever people don't even need to do that) and I don't see how that's any different than just downloading a show.

Commercial music, same deal except with ghetto tapes.

Game music, I feel if I bought a game I should be able to listen to it's music. It's a PART of what I bought. For game music of games you HAVEN'T bought, downloading songs actually serves the game company by showing you a reason you should buy said game.

Games on current gen systems, wrong. Older games, not so much. Particularly if it's something not released here. Don't want to bring terranigma to the states? Well, I'm playing it anyway.

Movies, wrong.

Anime(That's not on tv), same thing, unless it's not actually coming here. 'Not coming here' not being the same as 'Not liseanced YET'.

Though while I note what I feel is right or wrong, I can't say I'm not guilty of going into the wrong catagory at times.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 12:24:00 AM »

Well, perhaps if Ritual made GOOD games not so many people would feel the need to pirate them. Not everyone is ready to put down 30 bucks (or however much they wanted for SiN: Episode 1) for a bad game.

Yeah, ok, so I know people don't just pirate bad games. But I'm opposed to the mindset that every pirated game is lost revenue for the publisher/developer. This is of course not true. Yes, they will lose some sales, but the majority of the people who pirate would never have bought the game in the first place. Not that this makes it right, of course.

But people will always pirate stuff, so if developers want to combat it they need to give the players and incentive to buy the game legitimately. I think Stardock is on the right track with Galactic Civizilations 2. That game doesn't have any copy protection scheme at all, but to be able to download updates for it you need to have a working serial key and download it from the website. This shows respect and trust for the users (by not having any copy protection in the game they assume that the players have concience), which I think also makes gamers more eager to support them. When a developer think that you're a mature person who will pay for something they enjoy, and not a little 14 year old kid who pirates everything he can get his hands on, that creates a lot of goodwill.

The same holds true for movie/music piracy as well. Not everything is lost sales So much of the stuff that's released is mediocre, and customers just don't want to spend money on something they're not sure they're going to enjoy. When a movie ticket costs $10 (well, they usually go for $13 in Sweden. Not sure what you pay over there), you want something good for that money.

But I digress. It's stupidly early in the morning here, and I'm not quite sure where the hell I'm going with this rant. I guess my point is that people will still buy quality products, while the more mediocre stuff gets pirated (but not even that is true. Just look how the game sales charts are being flooded with movie cash-ins). So maybe the solution would be to develop better games? Yeah. Maybe.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 01:57:17 AM »

As a musician, I don't mind most music infringement.  P2P has helped me earn a little money, and really, if you're music's getting pirated, chances are you're successful enough to afford it or indy enough that anyone listening to you is probably going to buy your homeburned CD.  There's certainly a section of people who're getting hurt by it, but especially with the numbers on the iTMS and CDBaby, it's just not a huge issue.

I used to be a lot more anti-game-piracy than I am now.  I'm no saint; partially it was just because it was inconvenient before broadband and when I mostly played console games.  I have a decent-sized shelf of purchased current-gen PC titles.  But half the games I have to crack anyway because the copy protection cripples performance, and from there, it's a pretty short step to just pirating the game, playing it for a couple hours, deleting it, and never picking it up used or finishing it.

Movies I generally leave alone, anything I'm seeing I'm either watching with friends at a theater or rented, or it's something like Ray where it's a must-buy DVD.  I don't watch a lot of TV shows, but I do keep a healthy collection of cartoons because up until just recently the DVD market for them was non-existent, and even though I've picked up the Batman, Superman, and Justice League sets, I'm pretty sure they're not going to finish releasing Gargoyles, or The Tick, or anything like that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: