Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 04:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334577 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So, besides gaming, what you're thing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: So, besides gaming, what you're thing?  (Read 7496 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

SUURELY you have another hobby besides video gaming.  Try to avoid or add to the whole "movies and music" thing - I'm going more for hobbies and extracurricular or what have you.

DO TELL.

I delve into the arts myself (Go see at http://vanilladice.deviantart.com/ ).  A lot of anime-styled stuff, but I've become more versatile into many other styles as well (which you'd see if I had a chance to update and draw more stuff). I love to draw and I'm taking Art History in school.  I feel like I can "breath" when I see art, I love how I feel around it, and I love how it's a sort of "historical picture book" so to speak.

If not drawing, or gaming, I love going to the gym.  I had a shakey heart when I was growing up, prone to heart palpitations and the like, so I started to work out in order to promote a better lifestyle and help my overall stamina.  Yaay!  I liked it.  Lost some weight when I was gaining in high school and feel great. =)
One particular, i love riding my bike around the city.

I love walking around the mall.  Sue me.  I don't really have money to buy, but I do enjoy a walk.  I try to be a rare girl gamer that buys games and buys some fashionable stuff (fuck me, spent $60 one one game, then went to buy a $200 jacket - fucken hard stuff to live like!)

I hate sounding like a housewife, but I love cleaning.  My mom is a pack-rat, and I do everything but.  I love cooking too.  I didn't pay much attention to it at first; but our family recently emptied our pockets for a nice kitchen renovations and we've been cooking so much - screw restaurants; over priced and poor service compared to cooking for people.  The best thing about cooking: it's a hobby no one can hate you for, we all love to eat.  And I bloody love food - it's a life highlight... so gym is a must...

Otherwise, I'm sort of anti-social.  I have a few close friends and I don't care to make time for a lot of people.  Probably a bad idea and a bad outlook.  But it's hard to find someone genuinely interesting.
I usually do one on one's with friends, and one of my favorite things to do is go to my room, watch a movie or play some games (sorry) and have a beer and chat.  That or a coffee shop or a restaurant.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »

Right now.....studying. :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »

Right now.....studying. :/

Likewise. =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »

Your Lightning is AMAZING. Woa. Very cool. You shouldn't try and hide the url like that :P

Me and a bunch of my friends have been making a geeky fanzine for years now. We all put a lot of work into it and our entire catalog is actually preserved in a museum now. (Woa.) We try to make it look as zine like as possible, because we get told off by all the other Zine makers if it starts to look too "professional". It's a lot of fun anyway, in a Kitsch-y sort of way.  We have even had interview's with a few cool people like Neil Gaiman and Tim Minchin. It's pretty much cobbled together with fanart, short stories, editorials, reviews and interviews. (Some via internet, a couple at backstage of shows, and one coffee shop run-in).

So I guess that's my hobby?

The interview was actually by my friend Nikki, who I'm very jealous got to do it and not me. Ah well.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:59:55 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »

I spend a shitload of time watching a shit ton of anime recently just to experience as many shows as I can and end up with a few.
I do some occasional reading or play board games mostly on really stormy days.
I also like running, riding my bike, and some years go skiing if we have suitable weather.
I had a few acquaintances in each school i went to, but we lost contact and that sucks and finding any of those people online would be a nightmare so oh well.
I play piano for fun
I almost got into drawing artistic stuff, with a spongebob picture I did in school with a art help book thing and it turned really well
now i draw stick figures
I think movies and music (except vgm) are generally just okay
and obviously video games are excellent

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »

When I don't game, I'm studying music theory and reading music history. Specifically, I'm reading about Chopin and his life. I'm a Chopin zealot and take great joy listening to his works and reading about him. It's a shame because I only have his Prelude in E minor under my belt from his repertoire of music.

Other than that, I dable on the RPG Maker vx program and make games I won't release until I'm satisfied with them.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »

I forgot to ask: do you (dice) get paid to draw?
those drawings look professional

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »

You did a good job on Rena from Star Ocean

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »

God DAMN you's a talented artist.  Real nice style, very comic book like.  

Hmmm...I read.  A lot.  I'm a Comparative Lit major (which means I have to study lit in another language, which means I'm fucked because I haven't touched that other language (Korean) in just about a year and a half).

I write.  As much as I can.  I'm currently trying to find time to work on a novel (well I guess sorta 2).  I've written a decent amount of short stories and some poetry here and there.  I've attempted to get published in the past but have had no luck and really I don't have the time/energy/money to try at this point in time anyway.

I like to travel when I can.  That isn't all too often because I've got a perpetual hole in my pocket, but I did get to spend a few weeks this summer in the Caribbean.  

Uh...yeah I think that's it.  I really don't do much.  My current existence is a bit of a lonely one.  I've got a small but slowly growing collection of vinyls that I like to pop on from time to time and just vibe to.  Really I spend a lot of time listening to music.  Mostly Hip-Hop.  
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:27:47 PM »

I'm actually a grammartologist.

your*
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:56 PM »

Usually when people ask me what my hobbies are I just saying "movies and reading, the usual stuff," but this is RPGFan so I can actually pretend to have a personality!

BTW Dice your art is pretty awesome.

Anyway, my hobbies.

- I collect and grow plants. Mostly cacti and succulent recently. I mention this constantly. Anyway, I have somewhere between 70 and 90 now. I mean, in my apartment. I have more at home. I remember when I could list off all the plants I owned by memory. I can get close, still, but I'll end up forgetting a few.

- Making long, rambling posts on forums. This should also be obvious.

- Languages. Taking a linguistics class now. Currently taking Hindi and Swedish. Majored in Russian. Took four years of German in highschool + a semester as an undergrad. Took a semester of French as an undergrad. Took a year of Spanish in middle school. Also spend some time studying Japanese on my own as a YOUNG LAD when I cared about such things. And I've spent various amounts of time reading about Finnish, Greek, and Inuk..ti..tut grammar.

Of course, I'm only fluent in English. And by only fluent in English I mean even though I have a degree in Russia and got like straight A's in Russian I cannot do shit with Russian.

- Programming. Despite my general hatred of CS related things (CS being the other thing I majored in. Did college feel like a complete waste of time to anyone else?), I actually do like programming and programming languages. The creative, problem solving side of things at least. Not HRR O LOG N HRRR LETS LEARN DESIGN PATTERNS HRRR bullshit that's best left for CS grad students that are never going to get laid, ever. Such as myself.

- I do nanowrimo every year. I'm sort of questioning why, though. I don't know if I want to write. I mostly feel like writing because I feel like I need to although I'm horrible at it and I'm not sure what I'm saying needs said anyway. Specific to nanowrimo though I'm pretty sure it's just turning into a dumping-ground for yuppy-goth teenaged girls and Reagan-casualty housewives with fibromyalgia to join up and bitch about how hard nanowrimo is without actually bothering to really do it/cheat on it to win. Even though winning isn't the point and the social aspect isn't either.

- I try to draw a few pictures a year but I don't really have a very good attention span for it. I also find it rather tedious because I never learned how to draw right and mostly just use the straight-line tool in gimp and then shape the straight lines into curves methodically and manually. When I do draw it's usually pictures of anatomically peculiar anteater people decked out in random Haida and Russian orthodox stuff, standing in huge and empty places, such as: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4031/weirdcritter.png

- Food. I don't eat meat and I'm always trying to find interesting and thoroughly ethnic vegetarian fare. Today I went to an ethiopian restaurant, and it was pretty cool. Stuff like that. I also like to actively seek out fruits I've never tried before although a lot of times said fruits are expensive and you also tend to end up at stuff like "Breadfruit" and "Durian". And a lot of times the fruits aren't even ripe. Or are overripe. Unripe sapote tastes like burning. Persimmons, which are usually delicious, taste exactly like what Bradford Pear blossoms smell like.

- Wandering. Sometimes I just get on a bus or start walking and I don't really know or care where I end up.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »

SUURELY you have another hobby besides video gaming.  Try to avoid or add to the whole "movies and music" thing - I'm going more for hobbies and extracurricular or what have you.

DO TELL.

I delve into the arts myself (Go see at http://vanilladice.deviantart.com/ ).  A lot of anime-styled stuff, but I've become more versatile into many other styles as well (which you'd see if I had a chance to update and draw more stuff). I love to draw and I'm taking Art History in school.  I feel like I can "breath" when I see art, I love how I feel around it, and I love how it's a sort of "historical picture book" so to speak.

If not drawing, or gaming, I love going to the gym.  I had a shakey heart when I was growing up, prone to heart palpitations and the like, so I started to work out in order to promote a better lifestyle and help my overall stamina.  Yaay!  I liked it.  Lost some weight when I was gaining in high school and feel great. =)
One particular, i love riding my bike around the city.

I love walking around the mall.  Sue me.  I don't really have money to buy, but I do enjoy a walk.  I try to be a rare girl gamer that buys games and buys some fashionable stuff (fuck me, spent $60 one one game, then went to buy a $200 jacket - fucken hard stuff to live like!)

I hate sounding like a housewife, but I love cleaning.  My mom is a pack-rat, and I do everything but.  I love cooking too.  I didn't pay much attention to it at first; but our family recently emptied our pockets for a nice kitchen renovations and we've been cooking so much - screw restaurants; over priced and poor service compared to cooking for people.  The best thing about cooking: it's a hobby no one can hate you for, we all love to eat.  And I bloody love food - it's a life highlight... so gym is a must...

Otherwise, I'm sort of anti-social.  I have a few close friends and I don't care to make time for a lot of people.  Probably a bad idea and a bad outlook.  But it's hard to find someone genuinely interesting.
I usually do one on one's with friends, and one of my favorite things to do is go to my room, watch a movie or play some games (sorry) and have a beer and chat.  That or a coffee shop or a restaurant.

My hobbies are photography, reading, exercising (sometimes yoga but usually running and gym stuff), and cooking. I like cooking all sorts of stuff. I try and eat healthy but I love junk too.

I like to hang out w/ friends at least once a week to watch tv or play board games.

I enjoy all that Chicago has too offer including the orchestra and museums. Been to 3 concerts so far this year (classical).

I used to sketch but I fell out of that habbit.

I'm a nurse looking for a jrb

I spend time between living w/ my folks and my +1. I'd move in w/ +1 but I'm not going to do so until I'm financially set.

I help out w/ house work a lot w/ my +1 and my folks. At my folks house I just got done repairing a crack on the foundation. At my +1's house I just knocked out a wall and re-caulked her bathroom.

I like going to sporting events. Hockey and baseball are my jams.

I enjoy keeping a clean house.

I'm running a 1/2 marathon on sunday.

I love boozing.

I love smoking dope but only do that once a month or so.

I love saying "haps"
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »

- I collect and grow plants. Mostly cacti and succulent recently. I mention this constantly. Anyway, I have somewhere between 70 and 90 now. I mean, in my apartment. I have more at home. I remember when I could list off all the plants I owned by memory. I can get close, still, but I'll end up forgetting a few.

- I do nanowrimo every year. I'm sort of questioning why, though. I don't know if I want to write. I mostly feel like writing because I feel like I need to although I'm horrible at it and I'm not sure what I'm saying needs said anyway. Specific to nanowrimo though I'm pretty sure it's just turning into a dumping-ground for yuppy-goth teenaged girls and Reagan-casualty housewives with fibromyalgia to join up and bitch about how hard nanowrimo is without actually bothering to really do it/cheat on it to win. Even though winning isn't the point and the social aspect isn't either.

- I try to draw a few pictures a year but I don't really have a very good attention span for it. I also find it rather tedious because I never learned how to draw right and mostly just use the straight-line tool in gimp and then shape the straight lines into curves methodically and manually. When I do draw it's usually pictures of anatomically peculiar anteater people decked out in random Haida and Russian orthodox stuff, standing in huge and empty places, such as: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4031/weirdcritter.png

That plant collecting thing is pretty cool, and definitely a pretty unique hobby.  How did you get into it?

I also agree with you on the college front.  I dropped out once and spent a year and a half being a total bum before going back.  Now that I'm back I'm in a similar spot with a semester left to go and absolutely no motivation to finish.  I figure all I need to do is write one kickass killer book and I'll be set for life.  Fool proof plan obviously.  On a serious note though, I feel like nothing I've done actually in college has at all prepared me for the "real world" and that if I do manage to graduate I'm essentially gonna be in the same place I started without a pot to piss in.

That last part about Nanowrimo kinda makes the whole thing seem purposeless, no?  I mean I've tried getting involved myself but found that I was surrounded by people who wrote with "rules" and it was all such formulaic stuff and talking to them was a bore because everyone was saying the same things in different ways.  Gross generalization but I eventually gave up on the whole thing.  
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »

I know a couple of girls doing nanowrimo.

I don't know how much longer I can tell them that everything they write is pure gold.

Because they accept nothing less.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:56 PM »

How did you get into it?

Moved to a single dorm during my second semester at college, bought some plants from Kroger just for the hell of it, sort of took off from there.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: