Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331853 Posts in 13589 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So, besides gaming, what you're thing?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: So, besides gaming, what you're thing?  (Read 7465 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »

Honestly, between a full time job, a wife, and a kid, I don't have a whole lot of time for hobbies. I certainly have them, but my time is limited.
Fortunately, what I do for a living(I work in sales at a landscape company) is pretty cool and ties in quite nicely with my #1 hobby/lifestyle: gardening. I have spent inordinate amounts of time turning my yard into a beautiful English style cottage garden. I love it. I actually go through a bit of withdrawal in the winter. Thank goodness for my other hobbies. I know it's generic to say books and movies, but outside of games and gardening, that's what I do. I watch lots of movies(and select tv shows. I'm watching Doctor Who right now). I read every day, but in such small amounts of time that it tales me forEVER to get through a single book.
That's it. gardening, gaming, movies, and books. If I wanted to try something new, I would have to eliminate one of the old, and I don't want to do that.
BTW, IMO exercise doesn't count as a hobby unless it's something like biking, hiking, sports related, etc. Going to a gym is not a hobby.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »

We have even had interview's with a few cool people like Neil Gaiman and Tim Minchin. It's pretty much cobbled together with fanart, short stories, editorials, reviews and interviews. (Some via internet, a couple at backstage of shows, and one coffee shop run-in).

Very, very jealous. :P

I really do watch movies as a hobby (I'm part of my University's film society) though not as much lately.

Poetry and short stories is my thing; I've not tried to get published before but I'm young and I don't think I've reached  a point yet where I'm terribly happy with my work. I do enjoy writing however (argumentative as well as fiction), which leads me to my other thing... politics. I study politics and economics at University. It's not my passion, so to speak, but I can't think of anything else I would rather study. I feel like it supplements my base of practical and emotional knowledge.

Oh, and I blog but irregularly (see sig). I'm an amateur hat-lover, I sing as much as my floor mates can tolerate it, I shop as a form of therapy (usually perfumes and books for my huge backlog) and I sit at cafes looking at other people whenever I'm not actually with other people.

I'll probably go into some form of international charity work when I graduate. I guess. The world is my oyster. My delicious, Tabasco and squeeze'o'lemon juice oyster.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »

Right now.....studying. :/

I should add - procrastinating. :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 11:27:23 PM »

We have even had interview's with a few cool people like Neil Gaiman and Tim Minchin. It's pretty much cobbled together with fanart, short stories, editorials, reviews and interviews. (Some via internet, a couple at backstage of shows, and one coffee shop run-in).

I really do watch movies as a hobby (I'm part of my University's film society) though not as much lately.

Oh, and I blog but irregularly (see sig). I'm an amateur hat-lover, I sing as much as my floor mates can tolerate it, I shop as a form of therapy (usually perfumes and books for my huge backlog) and I sit at cafes looking at other people whenever I'm not actually with other people.

I read your blog a while back, until I caught a glimpse of a picture of Pennywise the clown. Then I made Hugh let me sleep with the lights on, and listen for strange noises while I slept. If it sounded like a burglar he should probably wake me up, but if it was making clown noises he probably shouldn't wake me up and let him dispose of it himself.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »

I'm actually a grammartologist.

your*

I thought the word was grammatestician.  Huh.  Guess you learn something new every day. :)

I work, game, and read, and I like British sci-fi.  Should totally go to England some day, or at least some part of Great Britain.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »

I read your blog a while back, until I caught a glimpse of a picture of Pennywise the clown. Then I made Hugh let me sleep with the lights on, and listen for strange noises while I slept. If it sounded like a burglar he should probably wake me up, but if it was making clown noises he probably shouldn't wake me up and let him dispose of it himself.

Just thinking about Pennywise has me laying down in the dark at night wondering if Tim Curry's fanged grin is going to appear out of nowhere, telling me to come on down. Where I'll float. Cause we all float down there.

Maybe I'll wait for sunrise before turning in.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »

Come to Scotland, Tooker!

We need the tourism.

Buy a funny ginger hat, people will respect you if you buy a ginger wig and run around asking everyone how they can possibly eat haggis.

@CastNuri: Me too :( It's hard to be scared with the golden touch of sunrise filtering through your window while birds cheep in song.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »

I'm lame in the sense that I have little else outside the nerd fandom, being a hermit and all. (in my mind)

I'm mostly into anime, and even moreso, manga, which I cram a lot of reading during work whenever I'm not busy (bosses don't mind)

I also do the whole board gaming/card gaming thing, and used to attend this bi-weekly group, but suddenly got busy and have not attended in a long while. Such a major bummer since my family absolutely sucks at them. :/

I also goof around with my own writing, mostly keeping to myself, and occasionally friends, and just freewirte without grammar, coherent dialogue (for the most part), and so on. I mostly just throw in strange, stupid, ideas and just roll with it. Also, making it intentionally convoluted just so see how strange I can make it. It ties in with why I have such an interest with strange, random, trippy stuff, especially in animations.

Yeah, I'm not versatile at all, but obsessive about the things I'm into. :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »

Yeah, I'm not versatile at all, but obsessive about the things I'm into. :p

Sometimes I wish I could be like that. I take interest in a little bit of everything, but I can never seem to keep up with people who know fucking EVERYTHING about a particular subject.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 01:26:13 AM »

Right now.....studying. :/

I should add - procrastinating. :/

And I respond, in kind.
We both do-eth not what we shouldeth do.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »

I'm an astronomer.... Sort of. Still in the process of getting there. But I do have the tendency to look through telescopes when a) it's not part of a lab class and b) when I'm not getting paid to do so. :-P

In short, trying to earn a degree in my spare time. It tends to get in the way of my gaming. (Then again, sleep tends to get in the way of 8:30 am classes.)

I like shopping; my wallet doesn't. When I go home, I mostly see friends, so I tend to see lots of coffee places and lots of bars. And bubble tea places. Mmmm bubble tea.

I'd love to go to hockey games, but my team is in Calgary. Sometimes I'll see them when they play in Vancouver. Should I wear a Calgary jersey in a Vancouver arena? Probably not. Is it entertaining, and do I do so anyway? Yes and yes. :-) Sadly, I can't even catch games on TV/online half the time.

I would perhaps read more like when I was younger, but I barely get time to play games as is. There's a whole bunch of Greek literature I'd still like to get to. I don't do manga (or anime) however. I used to draw, but it's been a while. I don't write fiction... but technically, I blog, although I've written two entries on BlogSpot, ever, and my last one was a DmC rant. :-P

But I do cook, or at least I do so without burning the place down. And not having to cook for anyone else = more experimenting, because I'd hate for anyone else to taste one of my failed experiments. ;)

Oh and I work at a website that covers RPGs. You might have heard of it.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 02:17:24 AM »

This will sound crazy but about 4-5 years ago I started having weird dreams about Edmonton of all places. In a span of several years I had about 15 dreams involving the jewel of Northern Alberta. They involved me traveling there, living there, and just general oddness that only fucked up dreams can provide. Before those dreams I had never really even heard of that city. I just woke up once and was like "Edmonton."

If you think this is BS go to connectedtoedmonton.com and check out the forums. I registered under Yoda and told them my tale and probably freaked them out.

Ever since then I've had an affinity for our neighbors to the north.

In addition to crap I listed I love to travel. I've never been outside of North America but there's plenty to see and do here.

I like to take road trips around the midwest. I've also been to my fair share of baseball stadiums
US Cellular Field and Old Comiskey (I am a White Sox fan)
Wrigley
Yankee Stadium (the house that ruth built, not the new one)
Shea Stadium (most violent crowd I've ever seen)
PNC in Das Burgh
Comerica in Detroit
Miller in Millerwaukee
Hump Dome in Minny
Great American Ballpark in Cincy

I'm a huge candy and chocoholic. My favorite ice cream flavor is ben and jerry's half baked. I could polish off a pint in about 30 min.

I drink tons of tea of all sorts. Don't care for green tea because to me it smells like fish food flakes.

I'm up late because my back is killing me.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 03:36:45 AM »

I love knitting, crocheting, that kind of stuff. Since I make way more than I could use or even give away, I started selling my stuff at animeconventions together with some likeminded people. We also give amigurumi workshops there sometimes. One of the fun parts is that we go to places of the country and types of animecons we normally wouldn't have visited. Yaoicon was actually a lot of fun!

Manga. I read too much manga. You can find over 1500 volumes on my shelves. Since I wanted to do something more with this, I started writing for Aniway, a magazine about anime, manga, videogames and Japanese culture, earlier this year. I don't get paid, but I do get free manga and games once in a while.

What else? My two adorable little rabbits! Their names are Chibi and Senka, they both have a dark past and their totally different personalities make them a great couple (and lots of fun to watch!). Chibi is very outgoing and overprotective, he enjoys running around and fighting cats. His favourite food is banana. Senka thinks everyone and everything is annoying and prefers to hide in the shadows of the big cherry blossom tree. She's a lot nicer than she looks, it just takes some time to get to know her.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »

At this current moment, trying to go indie :)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »

I like drawing and writing. Can't say I'm particularly good at either one with what I see from all the other artists over the internet showcasing their work, including Dice (Quite jealous). I also have 0 familiarity with photoshop and whatnot, and have no clue where to start (Also way too lazy to learn with RPGs getting in the way :P).

Otherwise, I'm much like a stereotypical nerd. I'm not a fan of the outdoors, or other people. I enjoy being able to choose between silence and noise and having my thoughts to myself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: