Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 12:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328013 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So, besides gaming, what you're thing?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: So, besides gaming, what you're thing?  (Read 7409 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »

Oh and I work at a website that covers RPGs. You might have heard of it.

Wait, so is it true that Mike wears his fursuit to work?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »

But I do cook, or at least I do so without burning the place down. And not having to cook for anyone else = more experimenting, because I'd hate for anyone else to taste one of my failed experiments. ;)

I do a lot of this as well now that I'm at University. Experimenting in the kitchen is fun and the worst thing that has happened so far was me setting off the building fire alarm. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »

Best thing I ever did was going to Chinatown and getting a good wok.

My thai basil chicken is as good as the shit you get in the restaurants.

Dice, nice art!

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »

Outside of RPGFan, I...

1) Work as a TA (Teacher Assistant) in a special needs school for MD (multiply disabled) and BD (behaviorally disordered) children. 

2) Am heavily into fitness, particularly cycling.  I used to weigh 240 lbs (about 109kg) back in 2008, but cycling, weight training, and a nutritional overhaul has me now at 154 lbs (70kg.)  I also enjoy hiking and occasionally jogging.  One day I want to compete in a small-time bicycle race.  Longest ride I've done was 40 miles. 

3) I play bass guitar.  I've been playing on and off for about 7 or 8 years, 3 of which were spent taking lessons.  I currently play in a punk band (no name yet) and sometimes perform solo acts under the "Neal Nerdypants" moniker.  Music is a huge part of my life and I like to go to local shows on weekends.  I have a pretty active social life through my local music scene. 

4) My most unique natural talent is in voice imitation and I recently recorded an audition/demo CD of my voices to try and do some small time voice over work.  Being a voice in a cartoon is on my bucket list. 

5) Like some of you, I do enjoy experimenting in the kitchen.  I love making pizzas. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »

I used to run, I did a 10K and some triathlon back when I was 17 but haven't attempted anything nearly as big once. I do lots of yoga although not as much as I was able to do in the summer (nearly every day).

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »

This summer was the first time I did a full yoga class. Before my only exposure was Wii fit (lol)

It was a 90 min class aimed at athletic types. I lost about 2lbs in sweat and at certain points I almost slipped in my puddle of sweat lol.

Well it got easier but there was some advanced stuff I could not do. I guess it takes some people years to get to that level. I went to about 5 classes all in all.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »

I read constantly. Right now i'm going through 'Black House' by Stephen King and Peter Straub as well as some 'Bleach' manga.  I watch a lot of movies and series as well.  I'm currently going through season 3 of the X-files and season 1 of Caprica.  I like to walk a lot too as there is a trail behind my house.  I guess the only other thing that comes to mind is music.  Mostly, I listen to metal but not exclusively.  I could list a thousand songs and groups I dig but I won't.
Additional. I make a mean pot of chili:))
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:54:19 PM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »

I have more hobbies than I care to list.  Honestly, sometimes I really feel that I need to learn to focus on just a couple of things.  Anyway, I'll just mention some of the more interesting ones:

1)  Backcountry skiing.  If you don't know what that is, let me explain.  Rather than using some sissy lift to get up the mountain (downhill skiing), or sticking to mostly flat stuff that still has to be groomed (cross-country skiing), you go out to some mountain that's often deep in the wilderness, climb it using your own power (and some fancy specialized gear), and then ski down some totally pristine powder.  Oh, and you spend a lot of time worrying about be killed in an avalanche (a very real danger).

2)  I built a sailboat once.  Not sure if that counts as a hobby since it only happened once, but there is a Boat 2 in the vague planning stages...

OK, that's just two for now.  I guess the rest is more of the usual.

Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

Right now.....studying. :/

I should add - procrastinating. :/

And I respond, in kind.
We both do-eth not what we shouldeth do.

Amen to that. At the moment I'm putting off finishing my stats assignment.

Like Mesh, I program. I try to solve a few problems from the UVa Online Judge which is a massive database of programming problems. Fun times trying to get programs to run as fast as they can. I also like learning the languages. Picking up the nuances of C++ over the holidays and probably going to teach myself C# and Objective-C shortly after.

I like to run as well. Trying to train myself for the Boston Marathon in a couple years and a half marathon next year. Not doing too bad, though I have to get off my ass and get myself registered at the university cardio room so I can keep going during the winter. Though they only allow you a 30 minute max time slot and I usually run for an hour doing 7 miles. My goal has been to get my time down to a 1.5 miles every 10 minutes. That way I over shoot a bit so the qualifiers should go ok.

I play a lot of chess and sometimes go. So much so that I kind of want to try writing a chess program or even a go program sometime. It would be quite an endeavour but a somewhat nice intro to the field of AI which is likely where I want to study later in life.
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »

I studied international relations in school but haven't been employed in my field for quite a while.  It was actually much easier while I was in school to make contact.  I really need to pursue a Ph.D. to do what I want, but the expense of that is overwhelming.  In the meantime, I read a lot of history books and keep track of current events.  I've spent a lot of time in the U.K and Ireland researching their politics.    

On the lighter side, I watch a lot of foreign films.  Crime drama and political satires from France and anything post-WWII to the 1960s from Japan are among my favorites.  Currenly I'm reading classic Japanese literature which actually inspires a lot of what we play in games.  Developers can get even more ideas from literature.  

I play a lot of jazz on my guitar and bluegrass on my banjo.  I took music in school but forgot so much and have probably taught myself more about music theory than anything I've learned from a teacher.

A few weeks ago I starting learning to play golf.  Right now I'm more sore than anything else.  

I like to cook too.  When I was in college and away from home for the first time I used tons and tons of recipies but now I just improvise.    
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »

UVa Online Judge

Oh Jesus McChrist I just remembered that I need to get back to project euler.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »

This summer was the first time I did a full yoga class. Before my only exposure was Wii fit (lol)

It was a 90 min class aimed at athletic types. I lost about 2lbs in sweat and at certain points I almost slipped in my puddle of sweat lol.

Well it got easier but there was some advanced stuff I could not do. I guess it takes some people years to get to that level. I went to about 5 classes all in all.

The 90 min classes are my favorite. Especially ones with lots of Vinyasa, whereas in Hatha I just fall asleep. =P

But there's lots I have done... Power (it's too early in the AM for me) and Yin (I can't stay still for so long) and others.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:02 PM »

I'm in the same boat as Lord of Sha... er, Grim Reality in being married with a kid. Miles takes up most of my time when I'm not teaching or looking for work.

I teach, it's what I do and what I've been trained to do.

I like economics (Freakonomics FTW!!!)

I'm a beer geek, and it saddens me greatly that I cannot afford beer anymore.

I like reading books on odd topics such as ethnolinguistics, addiction, neurology, and brain-based learning. I'm addicted to learning how the brain works.

NPR - yes, I'm a filthy hippy who actually has been a sustaining member (and would be if I still had a full-time job with discretionary funds)

Oh, and boinking the wife. I like that a lot.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »

The 90 min classes are my favorite. Especially ones with lots of Vinyasa, whereas in Hatha I just fall asleep. =P

But there's lots I have done... Power (it's too early in the AM for me) and Yin (I can't stay still for so long) and others.

It was a vinyasa style class. There are certain poses I couldn't do unless i stretched for them every day for years. Also, some of the stuff where you wrap your forearms around your legs and put all your weight on the palm of your hand? forget it.

Whenever people say to me Yoga isn't real exercise I politely shoot them in the face (not really).
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »

NPR - yes, I'm a filthy hippy who actually has been a sustaining member (and would be if I still had a full-time job with discretionary funds)

I <3 Wait Wait a ton.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: