Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:34:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327997 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Hyperdimension Neptunia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Hyperdimension Neptunia  (Read 7113 times)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:28 PM »

I think people still have this idea that Playstation is the way to go for RPGs. It just isn't like that this generation of consoles. Most franchises are going multiplatform nowadays. It seems the JRPGs that come out exclusively on the PS3 are of the sub par nature.

Honestly, just buy the system that you are more comfortable playing with. JRPGs this console generation suck, so I find myself playing more games on the 360 due to achievements, fluid multiplayer experience, and better entertainment console.(Netflix, Downloadable Games, etc.) I will never buy a PS3 game if it is also released for 360, because I feel PS3 as a console is inferior when you can play the same game on a 360. But, I keep my PS3 around for awesome exclusives like Heavy Rain, Metal Gear,Demon Souls, Valkyrie, etc.

Buying a system for one, probably 90%, crappy JRPG is absurd. Buying a PS3 for Valkyrie Chronicles or Demon Souls is a better =).
If you have the money, buy one. It's as simple as that....
I don't know why I'm typing this. I don't think it's related to what anyone was talking about lol.
Happy Halloween!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »

Honestly, just buy the system that you are more comfortable playing with. JRPGs this console generation suck, so I find myself playing more games on the 360 due to achievements, fluid multiplayer experience, and better entertainment console.(Netflix, Downloadable Games, etc.) I will never buy a PS3 game if it is also released for 360, because I feel PS3 as a console is inferior when you can play the same game on a 360. But, I keep my PS3 around for awesome exclusives like Heavy Rain, Metal Gear,Demon Souls, Valkyrie, etc.

Some of those advantages are either on the PS3 in full force now (Netflix) or are kind of cruddy on the Xbox anyway (more often than not it's a far better deal to just buy the retail version of a game than the downloadable one, unlike Steam). Also, ALWAYS getting the multiplatform game on the 360 is naive at best, outright idiotic at worst. If you really don't know, yeah, it's usually safer to err on the side of the 360 since it'll probably run the same, but some games like FFXIII, Darksiders (pre-patch?), and Lords of Shadow are at least slightly better on the PS3, and in the case of Lords of Shadow you won't have to worry about swapping discs to go to an older area.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

We only got an Xbox 360 because literally all of our friends have one. And I can certainly say I don't regret getting one, but still if it weren't for that I probably would've gotten a PS3 and I doubt I would've regretted that either. What I do need, though, are those obscure RPGs that will never come to the Xbox 360, like Hyperdimension Neptunia.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 01:33:29 AM »

We only got an Xbox 360 because literally all of our friends have one. And I can certainly say I don't regret getting one, but still if it weren't for that I probably would've gotten a PS3 and I doubt I would've regretted that either. What I do need, though, are those obscure RPGs that will never come to the Xbox 360, like Hyperdimension Neptunia.
I wouldn't exactly call it obscure it's just being published by NISA. Which means it will definitely not be on the XBox 360...

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 01:34:48 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/15/super-dimension-game-neptune-playtest-moments-that-make-you-say-what/

A review of the game for all interested.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »

You know, that almost made me want to play it, at least until they started talking about the grindy, time-consuming nature of the combat.  I don't have time for that crap.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 02:44:11 AM »

the grindy, time-consuming nature of the combat.

I'm sold.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 02:53:50 AM »

I'm sold.
Welcome to the club. :D

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 03:00:14 AM »

You know, that almost made me want to play it, at least until they started talking about the grindy, time-consuming nature of the combat.  I don't have time for that crap.

Well, at the very least they've patched battles to move faster for the Japanese version.  We usually get the games with patches pre-installed.

Grindy, well, I haven't played it (my husband did), but he says it's ridiculously unbalanced at some points.  Which is really weird, because Trinity Universe wasn't that grindy at all.  All I had to do to stay on top of my levels was to go into a dungeon every chapter.  If I went into more than one I usually ended up over-leveled. I compare this to TU because, as far as I'm aware, they play similarly. And here I was, hoping they had learned some semblance of balance.  Idea Factory is known for ridiculous difficulty spikes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:02:11 AM by Cyril » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 03:49:26 AM »

I'm sold.

I can't even comprehend the thought process behind this sentiment...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 04:02:55 AM »

I'm sold.

I can't even comprehend the thought process behind this sentiment...

I dunno, I just like grinding. Blame the NES/SMS/Apple II AKA the consoles that have most of my favorite RPGs.=P Also, I like things that are complicated, provided I can wrap my head around it (I always like to try), and since the battles are being patched to speed things up, I'm sure the speed won't be too much of a problem. Even if it does, the challenge will make it worth it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:06:00 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 04:30:03 AM »

Speaking of grinding one time I grinded to around level 21 in Breath of Fire III. Keep in mind this while
Code:
Rei and Teepo were still party members.
So needless to say grinding doesn't bother me at all either.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 04:35:22 AM »

Speaking of grinding one time I grinded to around level 21 in Breath of Fire III. Keep in mind this while
Code:

Grinding in Breath of Fire games is surprisingly entertaining.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 04:40:15 AM »

I'm just not gonna comment on Idea Factory. Like a lot of other reviewers on the site, I think you guys can guess where I stand.

But damn those environments look bland. But maybe I'm just looking at the worst screenshots.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 05:02:42 AM »

Code:

When I was younger and had time to grind like that, I was all over it.  I think my worst time was in FFVII and I mastered every Materia I had at the top of the Shinra building before I even left Midgar. That was something like 200,000 AP (Thief Materia) at ~18 AP per battle.   For comparison, a non-grindy Midgar usually nets you less than 2,000 AP.

Nowadays, I can enjoy grinding, depending on the game.  I min/max every time I play Final Fantasy VIII (which requires you to not fight or  level at all on any characters other than Seifer until Disk 2, where you level 1 character to 100, then you have to wait until Disk 3 and max everyone with 4x Stat bonuses).  Grandia, Final Fantasy V and Tactics are probably my favorite grinds. At this point I practically play the games for the grind and Stat/skill development.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:07:32 AM by Cyril » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: