Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:18:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340922 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Hyperdimension Neptunia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Hyperdimension Neptunia  (Read 7785 times)
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2010, 05:09:28 AM »

When I was younger and had time to grind like that, I was all over it.  I think my worst time was in FFVII and I mastered every Materia I had at the top of the Shinra building before I even left Midgar. That was something like 200,000 AP (Thief Materia) at ~18 AP per battle.   For comparison, a non-grindy Midgar usually nets you less than 2,000 AP.
That's amazing! I only had the patience to get a few of my materia up to level 2. I didn't start getting the higher level magic until around Mt. Nibel.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2010, 07:32:51 AM »

...in other words, this sounds like a fairly typical Idea Factory game.  It has potential, owing to its kooky ideas, but botches up on execution particularly regarding gameplay balance.  Yep, they haven't learned from their mistakes yet. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2010, 08:05:29 AM »

I agree with Pat about them improving gradually.
Instead of losing fans by drastically changing each game to be innovative like squeenix does, they slowly improve until a game that anyone playing it would like.
but they also need to stop hurrying with projects and make sure each game has no technical problems.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »

...in other words, this sounds like a fairly typical Idea Factory game.  It has potential, owing to its kooky ideas, but botches up on execution particularly regarding gameplay balance.  Yep, they haven't learned from their mistakes yet. 

It's Idea Factory, not Execution Factory...

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »

I'll give you that, Kevadu.  I mean, heck, Suda 51 masterminds some of the most twisted avant-garde ideas for video games but they don't always play very well.  Of course, Killer7's somewhat clunky gameplay was definitely overshadowed by Suda's artistic merits but Flower, Sun, and Rain wasn't quite so lucky (if I am to believe Kyle's review, and I generally trust him.)  

Heck, I could call Peter Molyneux an "idea factory" since many of his games had ambitious ideas that were so far ahead of available technology that they ended up falling short.  

insertnamehere- I'll give you that about playtesting.  I wonder if the balance issues mentioned in that link would have been addressed had there been another pass in playtesting. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:13:06 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2010, 05:51:57 AM »

Idea Factory makes games aimed towards lonely fanboys with anime wetdreams.

I can't believe their shit is still receiving attention from NISA. It's disheartening.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

Sigh...anyway here are some screenshots from IGN. :)

Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »

I played through Trinity Universe and enjoy the battles.

As long as I can easely skip the story if it's not interesting, I can play a rpg for the gameplay.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »

I played through Trinity Universe and enjoy the battles.

As long as I can easely skip the story if it's not interesting, I can play a rpg for the gameplay.

Same here, and I'm looking forward to playing Trinity Universe and Cross Edge along with Hyperdimension Neptunia when I get a PS3.

Thanks, man. I'm liking the style, to say the least.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:39 AM »

the grindy, time-consuming nature of the combat.

I'm sold.
Welcome to the club. :D

I can't even comprehend the thought process behind this sentiment...
Honestly, I can't either. Unless you have no life outside of gaming, why would you want grindy, time consuming combat? I'm so glad I don't play this type of shit anymore.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 12:47:13 AM »

Same here, and I'm looking forward to playing Trinity Universe and Cross Edge along with Hyperdimension Neptunia when I get a PS3.

Me too. I especially liked the downloadable character designs for Red Entertainment and 5PB. Although I'm thinking they'll most likely be included in the game in the North American release.

http://www.compileheart.com/neptune/news6/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:49:44 AM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »

Me too. I especially liked the downloadable character designs for Red Entertainment and 5PB. Although I'm thinking they'll most likely be included in the game in the North American release.

Man, Red Entertainment's character looks BA! I hope she is included in the NA version, I'd love to have her in my party.=)

I'm sold.

Honestly, I can't either. Unless you have no life outside of gaming, why would you want grindy, time consuming combat? I'm so glad I don't play this type of shit anymore.

It gives me a sense of satisfaction. Grinding gives the game a sense of progression, and I enjoy seeing how far I had come. Plus, I just enjoy raising something from nothing. I also enjoy trying to find the quickest and most efficient way to complete any battle in an RPG, and if the battles naturally take a lot of time, then it has a greater impact when I figure out the best way to make it go faster. It's only really annoying if you have a battle every 5 seconds, which I hope HN doesn't suffer from. I don't like it when any game is too easy, or if battles are too quick (unless they're only quick because I found some trick), because then it's not satisfying and I get bored of it quickly.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 01:31:48 AM »

I'm liking 5PB's design the best so far.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 02:26:37 AM »

Man, Red Entertainment's character looks BA! I hope she is included in the NA version, I'd love to have her in my party.=)

I'm sold.

It gives me a sense of satisfaction. Grinding gives the game a sense of progression, and I enjoy seeing how far I had come. Plus, I just enjoy raising something from nothing. I also enjoy trying to find the quickest and most efficient way to complete any battle in an RPG, and if the battles naturally take a lot of time, then it has a greater impact when I figure out the best way to make it go faster. It's only really annoying if you have a battle every 5 seconds, which I hope HN doesn't suffer from. I don't like it when any game is too easy, or if battles are too quick (unless they're only quick because I found some trick), because then it's not satisfying and I get bored of it quickly.
Ah, I see. More power to you then!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010, 02:38:35 AM »

It gives me a sense of satisfaction.

Ooooh yeaaaah~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: