Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 05:53:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327900 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Shit like this really pisses me the fuck off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Shit like this really pisses me the fuck off  (Read 3344 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 11:33:10 PM »

I'll say it's more slanted in my favour than yours.

An obsessive addiction to an online game, her mothers death, being a single mother and raising a new born baby? She's a high-risk person. Your notion that she did it just cause she liked Farmville a lot doesn't really hold water. Would someone who knew right from wrong shake a baby to death, being aware that a sane person knows the consequences, over something so trivial?

I'm not saying she deserves a free pass. And I'm not saying the poor baby doesn't deserve justice, but the world is not black and white and there is a lot we have to consider. God forbid you ever have a mental breakdown, lose control of your own body and do something you will regret.

While everyone ultimately has to take responsibility with their own actions, wouldn't you hope someone out there is ready to see the full picture, and not just what they see on the news?

Where did you read that she's a single mother and that her mother died? ( Not trying to be a jackass but I've read this story from 3 sources and none mention these points)

And I'll say again. Having a snap or episode is one thing, shaking the baby then fully realizing what you're doing, putting the baby down, then proceeding again is just cold murder.

And having a "mental breakdown" should not lesson her punishment by any means.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »

I heard her being a single mother on the Irish news, so whether that's true is up for debate, but here is the article where she said she found her dead mother.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39890549/ns/local_news-jacksonville_fl/

During the cigarette do you think the baby stopped crying? Of course not, the baby was probably crying even more now due to the shaking it just received, the crying was her trigger. So while she tried to calm down, the crying continued and it set her off again.

And I will have to disagree about having a breakdown not being cause for a lesser sentence. (and so would the law and a slew of medical professionals)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:47:10 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 11:49:32 PM »

I find it unacceptable for excuses to be made for anyone that murders a baby because it wouldn't stop crying.

And I'm sure a guilty plea has something to say about this. She did not plea insanity or mental incompetency.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »

A guilty plea, to me signifies regret.

A sociopathic bitch would feel no regret.

She has a very good insanity defense, and I'm sure her lawyer told her so, but she opted to plead guilty.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 11:59:53 PM »

I respect your point of view and your love of RPGs.

For this I shall go have some tea and murder demons, not babies.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »

I respect your point of view and your love of RPGs.

For this I shall go have some tea and murder demons, not babies.

Quite good my friend. Quite good, I think i'll do the same.

I think the disproportionate polygon-mess in Wild ARMs are supposed to be demons.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »

Oolong tea here.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 08:21:21 AM »

I find it unacceptable for excuses to be made for anyone that murders a baby because it wouldn't stop crying.

And I'm sure a guilty plea has something to say about this. She did not plea insanity or mental incompetency.

Just to make a brief point as I drive through, neither of these things actually signifies much of anything. How to approach the actual case is dependent on way too many factors that we don't have just based on one internet link.

That's all I really have to say about it. My wife is an attorney that has a state contract and often ends up representing folks in exactly this type of case. It ain't pleasant stuff, but it's almost always a hell of a lot more complicated than a short headline and article make it.
Redeemed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »

I like to think of myself as an extremely patient person, especially when it comes to kids. Over the years I've worked a lot with young kids/preschoolers/toddlers through various jobs and volunteering, many of whom had severe behavioral problems. Had to deal with ALOT of crying and temper-tantrums. Totally didn't phase me, especially the more I did it. Completely able to tune out crying fits, stay completely calm, and not feel any negative emotion.
It's strange though. Once it was my own kid, for some reason it had a much stronger affect on me. Honestly, at times it would make me feel a little crazy. Of course, I never came close to shaking my baby or harming him in any way, but I was surprised that my blood would boil a bit at some times and I would even have to trade off with my wife occasionally. And my son wasn't even really that fussy compared to some stories I've heard from people I know. Maybe other parents here can relate. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm someone who has tons of experience with kids, has a healthy marriage, lots of support, a stable life with few tragedies, never had any psychological/depression issues,  and yet I could still be affected by a little baby who I love more than pretty much anything in the world. So, while I absolutely don't think this mother should be excused for what she did, I do have a shred of pity for her and have a hard time being completely judgmental of her. There by the grace of God go I...
It's a tragedy all around.
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »

I like to think of myself as an extremely patient person, especially when it comes to kids. Over the years I've worked a lot with young kids/preschoolers/toddlers through various jobs and volunteering, many of whom had severe behavioral problems. Had to deal with ALOT of crying and temper-tantrums. Totally didn't phase me, especially the more I did it. Completely able to tune out crying fits, stay completely calm, and not feel any negative emotion.
It's strange though. Once it was my own kid, for some reason it had a much stronger affect on me. Honestly, at times it would make me feel a little crazy. Of course, I never came close to shaking my baby or harming him in any way, but I was surprised that my blood would boil a bit at some times and I would even have to trade off with my wife occasionally. And my son wasn't even really that fussy compared to some stories I've heard from people I know. Maybe other parents here can relate. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm someone who has tons of experience with kids, has a healthy marriage, lots of support, a stable life with few tragedies, never had any psychological/depression issues,  and yet I could still be affected by a little baby who I love more than pretty much anything in the world. So, while I absolutely don't think this mother should be excused for what she did, I do have a shred of pity for her and have a hard time being completely judgmental of her. There by the grace of God go I...
It's a tragedy all around.

I know exactly what you mean; your own child just amplifies your emotional response. Whether it's biological or behavioral (or a combination of both) it's there to make sure we don't leave the baby in the nearest banana tree when it starts to cry.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 11:30:54 AM »

Another sick ass story involving murder and video games.

http://kotaku.com/5676373/teen-confessed-murder-in-world-of-warcraft

It's different but I didn't think we needed 2 murder threads going.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »

Yeah...I was going to stay away from this thread because I knew it'd be a mess, but what dyeager said pretty much sums up my feelings.  It's too easy to have an emotional response to the news article and condemn this woman without getting all the facts.  This is why cases like this should NOT be reported until after the trial.  I don't know the circulation of the article, but I assume it's gone somewhat viral since it ended up here and just imagine the kind of public pressure that is now going to be put on the judge and lawyers who already have enough pressure as it is.  News media needs a swift kick in the ass and restructuring.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 11:47:17 AM »

Me and wife have bee trying to have a child for years with no result. So yeah...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »

Perhaps my resonse was an emotional kneejerk, but to me, few things are more reprehensible than a heinous crime committed against a child.  

I've heard that even in prisons themselves, child molesters are often kept in separate wards because they'll get beaten to death by other inmates.  Even super hardened criminals have a code of ethics where killing, maiming, torturing adults is okay but never hurt a kid.    

Redeemed- you've mentioned working in an MD/BD school, correct?  I just started the school year working in an MD/BD school and it's been quite an eye-opening experience.  Heck, it still is.

EDIT: CDFN- I know this may not mean much, but don't lose hope.  My cousins had been trying to conceive for almost a decade and only finally conceived earlier this year (they had twins.)  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:27:25 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 03:40:43 PM »

Me and wife have bee trying to have a child for years with no result. So yeah...

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hope it changes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: