Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319221 Posts in 13034 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 2 IS Remake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print
Author Topic: Persona 2 IS Remake  (Read 19720 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:36 PM »

[
To be fair RPGs and game industry in general has changed since then. People now are much less likely excuse pitfalls and clunky gameplay of yesteryear like that, especially when a Remake should smooth this stuff out. One of the reasons P3 and 4 were so well receive is because a lot of these issues were streamlined or fixed.

Anyway, if there's way to lower encounters to more manageable levels, it won't much of a problem then.

Gamespot gave it a 50% rating. To me, a 50% rating is a game that is sloppily put together, has alot of glitches, maybe has second rate voice actors, probably a movie tie in game. Generally stuff done to generate a quick buck. Yes game reviews are subjective, blablabla, but Innocent Sin did not warrant a 50% rating simply because the reviewer didn't like the encounter rate.

While I shouldn't egg on the score pedantry, GameSpot DOES have a page describing their scores. I haven't read the review fully, but those cons DO go beyond "high encounter rate", though a lot of that is down to personal taste too.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:47 AM »

I didn't really like either of the Persona 2 games that much, but... 50%? Seriously?

(I did like Persona 1 tho lolololol don't ask me to explain thangs brozzer)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:14:27 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

evilkaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »

eh i dont care what any reviewer thinks that isn't a hardcore RPG fan. If you love RPG's then review RPG's if you love shooters then review shooters. If you dont have a deep appreciation for the genre then i dont trust your review. I know P2 will have its flaws, after all it's a port of a PS1 game. I'm still getting it though.

I missed all the classic rpg's from back in the day. Not because I was too young, but because i was too stupid. I only played the "fun" games. The closest game to an RPG i played was pokemon. So now i have dedicated my life to finding and playing everything i missed out on. I got my work cut out for me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 05, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »

eh i dont care what any reviewer thinks that isn't a hardcore RPG fan. If you love RPG's then review RPG's if you love shooters then review shooters. If you dont have a deep appreciation for the genre then i dont trust your review. I know P2 will have its flaws, after all it's a port of a PS1 game. I'm still getting it though.

Ugh, that line. Look, it's valuable to get a wide range opinions, not just from an increasingly insular group. Maybe you'll want your RPG lover to review a shooter because it's more inclined to people predisposed to RPGs, like Bioshock, or it's waffling the line like Deus Ex. Or maybe it's just a really great, accessible game to anyone. Similarly this review has the merit of telling people that can't stomach older games and/or is more of a modern Persona fan that this game isn't for them. 5.0 is pretty harsh, but people who haven't played EP before may well find themselves agreeing with that score in the end, or at least go for one SLIGHTLY higher.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: September 05, 2011, 12:39:42 AM »

Oh man I hope PopMatters reviews IS. Their reviews of Atlus games are generally idiotic. Like, complaining about a lack of tutorials for Knights in the Nightmare (It had like, 50, right?) or trying to turn the demon conversations from Devil Summoner 2 into some metaphor for... idk some fruity bullshit.

Also here is their Portal 2 review summary:

While GLaDOS may have taken on the role of the passive-aggressive mother especially during the closing moments of Portal, the nature of the antagonism present in feminine interpersonal conflict is heightened here in some more traditionally cruel ways.

Also their oath of felgana review has the phrase "Sexual Politics" in it. It's fucking Ys. You're thinking about it too hard.

o/` I do not dream o/`

evilkaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2011, 01:11:08 AM »

n
Ugh, that line. Look, it's valuable to get a wide range opinions, not just from an increasingly insular group. Maybe you'll want your RPG lover to review a shooter because it's more inclined to people predisposed to RPGs, like Bioshock, or it's waffling the line like Deus Ex. Or maybe it's just a really great, accessible game to anyone. Similarly this review has the merit of telling people that can't stomach older games and/or is more of a modern Persona fan that this game isn't for them. 5.0 is pretty harsh, but people who haven't played EP before may well find themselves agreeing with that score in the end, or at least go for one SLIGHTLY higher.

...wow, I wasn't expecting that intelligent of a response you sir have earned some respect points. I will admit that i was a little wrong in my opinion that RPG games should be reviewed by RPG lovers. I was so mad at the review because the original PS1 game(or at least one of they're editors) gave it a 9.2 but the "port" to the PSP lost points for dated mechanics and dated visual design. It's a P-O-R-T, all the added was some upgraded character portraits, some new missions and better sound. Did chrono trigger loose points for outdated graphics? Or FFT war of the lions loose some for dated mechanics?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:13:29 AM by evilkaz » Logged

I missed all the classic rpg's from back in the day. Not because I was too young, but because i was too stupid. I only played the "fun" games. The closest game to an RPG i played was pokemon. So now i have dedicated my life to finding and playing everything i missed out on. I got my work cut out for me.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »

Well it's not going to going to get the same score because games are rated relative to what makes games "fun" in this era. Like it or lump it, repetitive battles and random encounters don't add up. Certain things don't age well, etc.

As for CT and FT:WotL: Those are bad examples.

Chrono is beloved partly because of it's charming style and spritework.

And Tactics is a prime example of an excellent turn based srpg

It's just the reviewers POV that P2 is just dated, so what?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:20:21 AM by Yoda » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2011, 02:02:28 AM »

...wow, I wasn't expecting that intelligent of a response you sir have earned some respect points. I will admit that i was a little wrong in my opinion that RPG games should be reviewed by RPG lovers. I was so mad at the review because the original PS1 game(or at least one of they're editors) gave it a 9.2 but the "port" to the PSP lost points for dated mechanics and dated visual design. It's a P-O-R-T, all the added was some upgraded character portraits, some new missions and better sound. Did chrono trigger loose points for outdated graphics? Or FFT war of the lions loose some for dated mechanics?

Damn, I forgot about that import review. Well, I'll blame the complete change of staff for that, I imagine it'd be docked down to 8 or 7 if the same crew were around and the same person (was this a Greg Kasavin review? Alex Navarro?) reviewed the PSP version.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »

I'll blame the complete change of staff for that

Man, RPGFan and their wacky mass 'staff changes' and by staff changes I totally mean 'firings' and by 'firings' i mean 'firing squads.'

I hear that Dincrest goes to bed on top of a massive pile of skulls every night.

---edit---

Okay, so the RPGfan staffers keep murdering GameStop staffers and not eachother, whatever. The important thing is that we get their oil.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:29:39 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 05, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »

No no, I meant GameSpot. See, they have a review... though I thought it was from someone whose name I recognized, not this Peter Bartholow.

Edit: Guess he became a Game Designer. Also had a tepid reception to Legend of Dragoon for anyone that cared.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:28:25 AM by Eusis » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »

I'll blame the complete change of staff for that

Okay, so the RPGfan staffers keep murdering GameStop staffers and not eachother, whatever. The important thing is that we get their oil.

Pretty much why Dice keeps a low profile these days.  She's on to their scheme.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »

Well, at least Gamespot is consistent. The Persona 1 remake got the exact same score. Odd though, since there were improvements to the gameplay mechanics for Persona 2.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2011, 04:32:17 PM »

My favorite gameplay improvement in P2 was physical attacks being totally useless, that was great.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »

Well, thats true of them all after 1, really.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »

Well, thats true of them all after 1, really.

I actually used the rush command a lot in P3/4

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: