Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:07:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  what are your top five consoles of all time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: what are your top five consoles of all time  (Read 4054 times)
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »

I want to preface my list by saying it is in no way based in logic.  Meaning, looking at it objectivly one would have to say the current gen represent the best we have ever had in terma of quality and graphics.  My list will be completly emotional.  The systems I had the most fun with.

1). Sega dreamcast.
The dreamcast came out when I was a freshman in college, and gave us the greatest leap in graphics we will ever see.  Psx to the dreamcast was night and day.  Also, the japanese games being released were amazing.  Seaman, shenmue, jet set radio, code veronica.  Not to mention online play.  Simply put I will never be as into gaming as I was in 99 and 2000

2) sony playstation.  King of the rpg. And the greatest game ever made ff7

3). Ps2

Probably deserves higher but I played the ps2 more now that its a dead system than when it was out.  Great rpgs, although the fall of the jrpg began here

4) xbox 360

Took online gaming to a new lvl.  Friends list, gamerscore.  Spiritual succesor to the dreamcast.  Just a great system all around.

5) 3do.

This ame out in 92.  The amazment of cd gaming and 32 bit graphics was a sight to behold when compared to the snes.  3do had a lot of great games.  Including immercenary, a game about an mmo that captured the world matrix style.  Now you jack in to stop it

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »

And the greatest game ever made ff7

Pffffffff...hahaha.  This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

Anyway, mine looks more or less like this:

SNES
DS
PS2
GBA
Gameboy

My affection for the SNES likely resides entirely with that being the system I grew up on, and the system I spent the most time with overall.  I have many memories of entire summer vacations spent leveling and exploring in FF4, FF6, and Earthbound.  The PS2 is just a classic system all around and is worthy of praise on any level, and the handhelds have made all my various trips along the east coast far more bearable, as well as just being my favorite systems simply due to portabiliy/having great games.

Although I can't really think of a system that I've actively disliked after owning it...so most of this list would probably jump around completely depending on the time of day/phase of moon/zodiac year.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »

I want to preface my list by saying it is in no way based in logic.  Meaning, looking at it objectivly one would have to say the current gen represent the best we have ever had in terma of quality and graphics.  My list will be completly emotional.  The systems I had the most fun with.

1). Sega dreamcast.
The dreamcast came out when I was a freshman in college, and gave us the greatest leap in graphics we will ever see.  Psx to the dreamcast was night and day.  Also, the japanese games being released were amazing.  Seaman, shenmue, jet set radio, code veronica.  Not to mention online play.  Simply put I will never be as into gaming as I was in 99 and 2000

2) sony playstation.  King of the rpg. And the greatest game ever made ff7

3). Ps2

Probably deserves higher but I played the ps2 more now that its a dead system than when it was out.  Great rpgs, although the fall of the jrpg began here

4) xbox 360

Took online gaming to a new lvl.  Friends list, gamerscore.  Spiritual succesor to the dreamcast.  Just a great system all around.

5) 3do.

This ame out in 92.  The amazment of cd gaming and 32 bit graphics was a sight to behold when compared to the snes.  3do had a lot of great games.  Including immercenary, a game about an mmo that captured the world matrix style.  Now you jack in to stop it

3DO? I had that and regret it dearly. The only game worth playing on it was the port of Star Control II

My top 5

1) PSX: Sure the games didn't age well but for the 1st couple of years every game I played I loved. From arcade style stuff like NBA Jam, Philosoma, some of the fighting games that showed up, to wipeout, g-police (such a hard fucking game), warhawk, twisted metal... god the list is never ending.

JUMPING FLASH!

2) 360: The pure addiction and immersion to games like oblivion, reach, the myriad of FPSers is a testament to how fluid and easy online play is on this. Also: Mass Effect series. Borderlands

3) Sega Genesis. Even though I never owned this the awesome shooting games and shit like star control and herzog zwei kept me sleeping over at my cousins house.

4) SNES. Countless hours playing FF4 and Secret of Mana, Actraiser and Axelay

5) PS2: I've owned this now for 10 years and I'm just now starting to appreciate this RPG powerhouse.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »

PS1
SNES
PS2
DS
Sega Megadrive (Genesis)

I was a pretty clumsy child so I've went through most of those consoles at least twice.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:45:02 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »

No particular order.

1.) Playstation 2

2.) Playstation

3.) XBox 360

4.) Sega Saturn

5.) Super Nintendo

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:05:37 PM »

1. PS2
2. SNES
3. GameCube
4. PSone
5. Genesis

And the greatest game ever made ff7

Pffffffff...hahaha.  This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

"...quite possibly the greatest game ever made".

I still think that people take this thing seriously.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »

"...quite possibly the greatest game ever made".

I still think that people take this thing seriously.

Yeah, in 1997. I remember Gamefan. I used to the have the issue that had the preview for FFVII in it. I would read it all the time in anticipation.

1.PS2
2.DS
3.SNES
4.PSX
5.N64

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »

GameFan was the best magazine man.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »

(Shouldn't we change the title to "what are your top five consoles of all time, RPG-wise" so the mods don't move the thread?)

1-PS2
2-PS1

Ahh the PS1. I never planned to buy it actually. Back in the day all I had in mind was the N64. I literally thought about that console every night ever since I heard about it. Then came the day I was supposed to buy it. My excitement was like the N64 Kid times ten. I went with my uncle since my father was on a business trip to the US. He didn't know what console I was getting but he took me to the store and that's when I asked for a N64. My uncle said "Hold it! Why don't you get the PS1?". I looked at him and said "Nintendo makes the best games. Why would I want a PS1?". He then bombarded me with info, half of which didn't seem relevant to me. In the end he convinced me, went out the door with a PS1 in hand.

And I'm thankful to him till this day :D

3-SNES
4-Sega Mega Drive 2
5-PS360.

Also, a great track from FF7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjllAIqwJLE . Amazing game.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

1. CD-i
2. Magnavox Odyssey 2
3. Virtual Boy
4. Game.com
5. Fairchild Channel F

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »

No Jaguar?

Trevor McFur is crying in the Crescent Galaxy
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »

No Jaguar?

Trevor McFur is crying in the Crescent Galaxy

I was going to go with the Jaguar CD, just because it looks like a toilet.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »

1 - PS2
2 - Wii

Hey, I'm still noob. :P
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »

Ahh the PS1. I never planned to buy it actually. Back in the day all I had in mind was the N64. I literally thought about that console every night ever since I heard about it. Then came the day I was supposed to buy it. My excitement was like the N64 Kid times ten. I went with my uncle since my father was on a business trip to the US. He didn't know what console I was getting but he took me to the store and that's when I asked for a N64. My uncle said "Hold it! Why don't you get the PS1?". I looked at him and said "Nintendo makes the best games. Why would I want a PS1?". He then bombarded me with info, half of which didn't seem relevant to me. In the end he convinced me, went out the door with a PS1 in hand.

Suckerrrrrrrrrrr.  You missed out on Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarine of Time, Majora's Mask, and...and...and...Quest 64.  And, umm...Turok?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

Holy hell, actually citing the 3DO? Not how I expected a first post in a thread like this to go.

Anyways...

PS2 - One of the best libraries a system can hope to have really.

SNES - Took much of what was introduced on the NES and polished it to near perfection, or at least surpassed it greatly in ways the NES probably couldn't handle.

PS1 - This really was a game changer, and in hindsight may've housed the best library of Squaresoft games. Would've been even better if SCEA were less strict about what came over here, but it still turned out great.

DS - The best handheld. Each successive one got better and better, and this one really nailed it.

NES - What REALLY got me into gaming, and still houses quite a few novel games with few to no alternatives on newer systems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: