Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  what are your top five consoles of all time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: what are your top five consoles of all time  (Read 4078 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »

Mine are pretty much based on how much fun I had while playing games on the system.

1) GBA
2) PS2
3) GC
4) N64
5) PS3

Note I never owned a NES or SNES. Otherwise they'd probably be up there.

beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »

1. Super NES
2. PSX
3. Neo Geo (I never owned one but I really love the games for it.)
4. PSP
5. PS2
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »

In no particular order: Playstation, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Genesis, PC

I chose the Playstation because when I had it, I purchased and played the most games for it.  This was my golden era of RPG playing.  

My Dreamcast remains hooked up to this day because I still think it has yet to be surpassed in terms of fighting games.  And games like Jet Grind Radio still ooze more style than New York Fashion week.  

I like my PS2 for sentimental reasons and it has unexpectedly had one of the longest lifespans of any home console.  It still gets more play than most of my newer platforms.  

Although watching a friend play FF7 made me first get into RPGs, I cut my teeth on the Phantasy Star games on Genesis.  I also love my Genny for its durability.  My first-gen Genny had cola spilt on it but it survived and contined to work perfectly 20 years later.  I lost that Genny in a move, but if I were to plug it in now, it would still work perfectly.  I can't say any of my newer consoles would survive a cola spill like my bulletproof Genny did.  

PC.  This should be obvious.  If PC doesn't count as a gaming platform, then I don't have a 5th yet. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »

some people don't know the greatness of the 3do.  
it had the first need for speed game ever.  Immercenary.  best version of madden.  arcade perfect ports of street fighter 2.  amazing road rash game with awesome music.   wing commander 3.  alone in the dark 1&2.  sim city, theme park.  arcade perfect samurai showdown. gex, star control, return fire.  the list goes on and on.  don't hate.  
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 06:05:41 PM »

don't hate.  

It's surprise on my end, not hate. I'm more or less neutral on the 3DO myself.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »

PS2
PSone
Mega Drive
NES
PS3

Honorable mention: dreamcast, lots of awesome games but unfortunately it's life was just way too short.

I never actually owned a SNES but it's definitely one of the best consoles ever along with the PS2, it just didn't have such an impact on me because me and all of my friends had a mega drive back then.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »

Turbografx
Intellivision
Neo Geo Pocket Color
WonderSwan
MSX
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »

PS2
Gamecube
GBA
PSP
Nintendo DS

In case you can't tell, I loved last Gen.:) And Portable games.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »

Suckerrrrrrrrrrr.  You missed out on Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarine of Time, Majora's Mask, and...and...and...Quest 64.  And, umm...Turok?

I've played Mario 64, OoT, MM and Mario Kart at my friend's house. Majora's Mask in particular was a game I couldn't have enough of. But overall, the PS1 was a WAY better system than the N64.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 11:26:12 PM »

But overall, the PS1 was a WAY better system than the N64.

No shit sherlock. The N64 did a lot of things right too, the design of the console brings a lot of good ideas for the future generations.

The games? There are the classics that have aged bad or are still playable like Sin and Punishment, but that depends on the game really. Also, is kinda curious that the design of the N64 was because of Super Mario 64 and what Nintendo wanted to achieve with that game.
harmonic42

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 11:26:31 PM »

The SNES and PS2 are so close I can't decide, but since I'm a Generation X'er and the SNES has more nostalgia factor, I'm going with it for #1.

1) SNES
2) PS2  <- very close 2nd!
3) NES
4) PS1
5) N64

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »

I may not have ever owned an N64, but when I borrowed my friend's, Mario 64 made me nauseous.

And I got the GameCube version of Ocarina of Time anyway.

In no real order: SNES, PSOne, PS2, DS and Wii. DS so that I can cover my GB library too, Wii for the same reason (GameCube library) plus VirtualConsole/WiiWare.

Honorable mentions: PSP, I've only had mine for like three months. I love it/the available library though. Same with the PS3 - ask me again in a few years.

As for the NES and Atari, I just didn't play enough titles on either system.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 12:13:29 AM »

1. SNES
2. PS1
3. PS2
4. PSP
5. PS3

Honorable mentions: Dreamcast, NDS, Gameboy Color

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »

I really wished I had owned a PSOne as a kid. While I'm still glad I got a Nintendo 64 (I seriously still play all the games I have left on it from time to time, and I do need to finish Mega Man 64), I can't help but think I would've gotten into RPGs much sooner if I had more available to me than Pokemon, Paper Mario, and Digimon World.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 01:12:06 AM »

1. Super NES
2. PSX
3. Neo Geo (I never owned one but I really love the games for it.)
4. PSP
5. PS2

I can't believe I forgot all about the NES.

1. SNES
2. PSX
3. NES
4. Neo Geo
5. PSP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: