Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:32:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330066 Posts in 13526 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman  (Read 2046 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »

Kinda surprised I haven't seen a topic for this float around before. Just picked it up today and have put a little bit of time into it. Not past the first couple of stages yet but so far I'm liking the typical NISA humor and the game play mechanics are pretty decent. It looks like a dungeon crawler I can actually sit through without getting bored. XD

What do other people think of this title so far?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:08:43 PM »

I think I really wish I hadn't spent the money I had saved up for it on ClaDun, but whatever, now I got something to play while I wait until I have more money saved up. I certainly looks pretty damn good, in fact, I'd say it's just what I could use right now. And really...why hasn't there been a topic like this yet? Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:09:44 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »

I have it in front of me, but haven't started yet.  All of the reviews I've read are great so I really want to get started, but I'm currently playing EO3.

I'm looking forward to hearing opinions.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »

A bit into chapter 3 and so far I'm really liking the gameplay. The only complaint I have is your gear breaks down too fast and you don't get that much money to pay the hefty repair costs. :-/ So I haven't been able to try the weapon fusion systems or much of anything else because it costs nearly 2-4 times what I make in a dungeon to repair all my gear. (I know you're supposed to cycle through it more often but I really, really like my Rocket Punches. XD )
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »

I finally got around to playing it.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those games I quit in anger and then pick up again five minutes later because it's so much fun that I can't stop.  I can't decide if it's the perfect portable game or a horrible one.  If you quit mid dungeon the game treats it as you die, but at the same time dungeons move quite fast and you can clear one out at a decent speed and still make actual progress with your character.

There's a bit of light "humorous racism" in there, so if you're sensitive, it might not be the best game for you.
For example, the USA's president is an African American woman called "Brick Oldllama."  There's a Chinese woman named "Chitii Wok," and a German named "Frank Furt."
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »

*whistles* This game keeps impressing me more and more as I play it. I really hope this gets the Disgaea treatment where we see future sequels down the road. Two things I have to note:

-Reckless Cop Dangerama has an awesome design. I hope we see cameos of him in future NIS titles.

-The Cosplay system is...brilliant. I'm amazed we haven't had any other games do this before.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:12:17 AM »

5 hours in now, only playing on and off for the last few days. My total level is only 100. I feel the need to elaborate on this game because there seems to be very little interest here.  Here we go, "salesperson" time!

It's really quite sad that this game isn't getting more attention from the "traditional" RPG crowd.  It's quite an addicting little game! I see a lot of anime fans buying the game because there are references everywhere, though I suppose that's a good thing. Anime isn't really my thing anymore, though.

It's funny because while the game does have all the wacky NIS bits, the story is actually quite serious.  The little stories are cute. While some people will get annoyed because they're the "life lesson" type, they feel "genuine." Like something the average person can relate to. Just as an example, quoted from the Valkyria II Review here:

Racist characters become accepting of the Darcsens. The tough guy finds a softer side. The goofballs learn a valuable, serious lesson.

None of that nonsense in ZHP.  While the characters are learning lessons, it's more along the lines of (you guessed it) Saturday Morning Cartoon lessons.  Feeling down in the dumps and don't want to work anymore?  Keep at it, something good, like a promotion, will come your way.  Don't despair just because one bad thing happened to you; your life isn't going to end.Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Don't overlook the game because you don't like NIS or roguelikes.  This is an easy roguelike and you keep your overall progress rather than it getting beaten down to nothing.  This isn't really a traditional NIS game, either.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:15:53 AM by Cyril » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 02:50:45 AM »

Well, since no one else has commented in a while I'm going to at least balance the scale and list some downsides to this otherwise awesome game.

-This game's writing is an anvil dropper. A repeat-offender 100-ton x 100-ton anvil dropper. While I can understand the necessity of it for storyline and parody reasons I still feel like I'm sitting through the world's worst Saturday morning "Sonic Sez" life lessons. At times it comes on so heavy handed and unnecessarily relevant that I find myself skipping text (on a first-time play through). I'm sorry but I play games for a distraction from reality. I really, really don't need my plot interrupted by a "serious" 2-3 minute long monologue about bullying and some (possibly) made up statistics. I still remember my grade-school lessons thanks. Expect this to happen at least once a chapter and extend to other things like World Politics and Parental Responsibility.

-The difficulty variance on the Extra Dungeons is unreasonable. You know I can accept that Bonus Dungeon C would be harder to beat than Bonus Dungeon A. Or that I might have to do long hours of extra training to constantly progress through said Dungeons...but Z.H.P manages to get it all wrong. The "Anime" dungeons are only labeled by name and you can pick them in any order, but their power requirements are not equal either due to enemy level, dungeon type, or "Dark Sun Effect" (for lack of a better  term for those familiar with D2). So if you pick the "wrong" dungeons for your first 3-4 random selections, you're kinda screwed until later in the game. Thankfully amongst my first selection was one of the "easy" dungeons (lots of Prinnies) but someone could easily screw up and not get to experience the bonus features until much later.

Then you have the "Hero" dungeons. Easy at first, gets harder as you progress. Sounds hard to screw up right? Well on the very first one (I'm still trying to beat it) it seems all fine and dandy. You try, get down a bit, die, and are encouraged to basically try again with your new found powers/gear to get even further. This is a fun and rewarding system...until you hit the last floor. Now let me  references Disgaea again. You know how in the Item World you'd have a slightly tougher than normal mook every 10 floors with there being a "God" at the bottom that isn't really "that" hard if you'd made it that far unscathed? Not here. Z.H.P does follow that formula...but the last floor houses a boss so overpowered that it's minions can 1-shot you...even if you can kill everything else on the other 59 floors (including the super-powered, will OHKO you early on, 10th floor guardians) with minimal effort this roadblock will stop you cold.

Let me elaborate. When I finally got down to the final floor (after building up hundreds of levels getting there) I was not "too" surprised when after two steps a minion shot me dead in one hit. I think "Okay, so I need to get stronger". Go through the process again, gain another 100+ levels; "BAM!" one-shot. Get frustrated, farm stronger chips, go up another 100+ levels, try it again..."BAM!" one-shot. Hunker down, gain 200+ levels, actually save up good gear that protects against ranged attacks, use my limited super power that DOUBLES my HP pool and increases defense against ranged attacks..."BAM! BAM! BAM!" three-shot in two turns.

So you're telling me that after farming the dungeon multiple times for anything decent, gaining in total over 1000+ levels in power, can kill everything else in this dungeon without ANY equipment, and tricking out my character so much that the story dungeons are laughably easy I still am not allowed to even cross the map without dying? And this is the easiest "Hero" dungeon? The power curve does not exist in bonus content.

-Finally, I know in every game there's that warning of "take a break every hour" that very few listen to...but it actually should be a warning screen before this game. In big bold red letters with blaring claxons and unskippable narration. Why? This game will generate early Carpel Tunnel like no other game I've ever played before. Z.H.P actually has the "honor" of being the first game in 23 years of playing nothing but RPGs that has finally caused me to gain a repeated-motion injury. >.<; So negative marks for involving just a little "too" much button mashing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:21:37 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »

I was thinking this or Blazing Souls but because of that review it just got, I'll probably get ZHP first.
I'm also thinking Knights in the Nightmare.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:53:21 AM »

Has anyone found any HP chips for your Shadowgram? I've filled the cursed thing to the brim with every other chip but HP ones still elude me. XP
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »

I haven't found any HP chips either.  Wonder if they even exist.  Boss of that first hero dungeon 1 shot me too (well one of her lackeys did).   

Personally I think the story was great in prettymuch every way.  The characters are great, even the really minor ones.  This game certainly makes my top 4 NIS games along with disgaea 1,3, and phantom brave
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »

I've found the "trick" you're supposed to do is wait until Floor 51-59 and find two things. A mirror and a zombie. Place the zombie in front of the mirror and wait until it's cloned. Kill it, then lift the clone and toss it onto the bones of the old zombie. Wait for a clone then rinse/repeat. Eventually you'll have zombies respawning as soon as you kill one, making an infinite XP cycle. I grinded up to about LV 168 before stopping.

Once at the 60F boss, trigger Unlosing SPD for practically infinite turns and kill the leader. Once she's down the dungeon ends.

I'm working on the "Mid" Dungeon now and the unfairness dial has been cranked to 11. Enemies level up based on what floor you're on. 1F-10F = 1 level per floor. 11F-20F = 2 levels per floor, ect. I used to only make it to floor 32-36F until I stumbled onto an Excavator shop item that boosts XP per kill. I directed almost all my hero energy to it so it now gives me +70% XP per kill. Sadly this only has kept up with the insane enemy levels until the mid 40F range. Then it's steam roll city all over again. XP
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »

Yeah I've heard about the zombie and mirror thing on gamefaqs but I haven't tried it yet, I really should.  I'm kinda playing multiple games at once (including etrian odyssey 3 which is also a huge time sink) so I haven't put as much time into it as I could have.  I've only beaten 2 dengeki dungeons and my total level is barely over 1000.  I agree about the power jump from floor 59 to 60 of that dungeon is just messed up though.  the difficulty "curve" becomes a 90 degree angle

also I use Etranger costume =D  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:21:59 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »

Lol, I just now got that costume. Finally had enough of grinding the dungeons in vain so finally decided to finish the game. Really easy when your stored level count is like 4300+. >>; Might try and do more unlocking later. I'm more interested in the alternate endings now.
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »

you get the dangerama costume too?  I've gotten a few of the endings but it seems like most of them are kinda lame.  I'm still gonna try to do as many as I can though.  It is a bit of a pain that you can't just save and reload like in other games to see multiple endings (not without penalties anyway) but at least it doens't take TOO long to go through the dungeons when you're really strong. 

btw i saw a topic on gamefaqs about costumes affecting a wide range of different stats, but me and several others have remarked that we see no difference at all other than elemental resistances.  for example etranger seems to have no stat changes at all, while dangerama just has -20 resistance to all elements
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: