Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334699 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys: The Oath in Felghana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Ys: The Oath in Felghana  (Read 3303 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »

Is the "normal" difficulty setting as easy as Ys 7?

No, just check the reviews such as Damian's about that.

Speaking of which: Jeremy Parish's review is up now, and he lavishes more praise on it than he did Ys Seven.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:40:25 PM by Eusis » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:20 AM »

Picked it up earlier, started playing on hard because I'm a cocky SOB....

First major boss wiped the floor with my ass 30 times. I had 90ish hp and each hit inflicted 26 damage, except for the hard hits which did 38. after destorying my hand adjusting buttons to find a good way to charge magic attacks, jump, and move all at the same time, I finally landed on triangle=magic, circle=jump, and X=attack. I gotta say, this was stupidly hard for the first major boss. Maybe I should have taken the games advice and lowered the difficulty. It's especially disheartening after playing Lufia on my ds for the last 3 weeks and slaughtering all who oppose me in the same style of play. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to ice my hand....

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

I know you're playing on hard... but wow, that kind of makes my post half pointless. Getting trashed like that in a single difficulty bump would imply you'd still die a fuckton on lower difficulties.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:34 AM »

Is the "normal" difficulty setting as easy as Ys 7?

No, just check the reviews such as Damian's about that.

Speaking of which: Jeremy Parish's review is up now, and he lavishes more praise on it than he did Ys Seven.

Thanks. I did a quick breeze through the review last time and missed it
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 02:06:05 AM »

I know you're playing on hard... but wow, that kind of makes my post half pointless. Getting trashed like that in a single difficulty bump would imply you'd still die a fuckton on lower difficulties.
If it makes you feel any better, I can play most megaman X titles without changing the dash button and still breeze through fights with just the x buster...and that doesn't even phase my hand. This game requires following one of my most hated methods of battle, poke and run. You spend 90% of a fight waiting to tag your opponent like 2-3 times, then back to jumping around like a maniac waiting for your next shot. I think on the easier or even normal settings, you'll at least get better defense, better hp, or maybe easier exp accrual for leveling. I could also be spoiled from easier games and just not used to something demanding of my skill.

Oh, and another thing, Parn got to enjoy my raging as the boss in question (Ellefalle I think, if you were wondering) whipped my ass for 15 minutes. He seemed rather pleased.

TASTY!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 05:20:07 AM »

I've never played a Ys game, but I'm deciding whether to get this one or Seven. What would you guys suggest for a newbie?

beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »

Personally I would recommend Oath in Felghana before Ys Seven. I haven't finished Ys Seven yet, but so far I think Felghana is better and more memorable.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

Oath is generally regarded as better, but Seven might be a bit more approachable. Don't sweat it too much.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »

How do you pronounce the name of this series anyway? Never played any of them, but I'm getting curious

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »

^ Like "geese" but without the "g."
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »

Thanks.

Apparently pronouncing it like 'wise' will get me punched in the face by a young girl with a crystal ball, so I just wanted to be safe.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »

Pearl is one dangerous girl...best to be careful :-P

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »

Finally got it, put about an hour and a half in I think, and now I think I can comment on the controls. The 2000 D-Pad is pretty nice with it, and my fingers are slightly sore so I can't really comment on the analog nub, but I've been fine with it for Ys Seven so I don't think I'd have too much of a problem. And, uhh, about the controls: I didn't think I'd say this, but I think the Japanese configuration really may be ideal. It used O for attacking and X for jumping, which seemed pretty backwards given that O's in the same position as A and X for B, but by putting jump at the bottom I can easily press either Attack or Magic from there, and since Magic has that slight delay that can be mitigated by holding it in and releasing when convenient it's not much good to put the instantaneous melee attack on that button. So give that a try; I really wish SCEA/SCEE had stopped this asinine inconsistency between regions 15 years back when they easily could've squashed it.

Anyways, I'm liking it a lot more than Ys Seven! I wasn't sure how I'd feel now, but Ys Seven feels too... bloated, I guess. Too many redundant skills, large areas to go over, while Oath is more straight to the point, kinda like what was said in the interview.

Edit: Hate typoes that make me say the exact opposite of what I meant to.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:11:44 AM by Eusis » Logged
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »

I'll agree there. I still think Ys Seven is a great game, and a fun experience, but can't deny some parts feel dragged, and it was mostly the later half that I got that heavily into it.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 03:40:03 AM »

Completed the game in 12 hours, here's my review: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24237716&postcount=261

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: