Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 05:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338203 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys: The Oath in Felghana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Ys: The Oath in Felghana  (Read 3391 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:31:13 PM »

Guys, it's out! There's also a review Damian wrote, though I have to admit I'm curious as to what PSP he played it in on since the analog nub and D-Pad are both much nicer on the 2000. Anyways, I'll have my copy arrive on Friday, and anyone who doesn't want to go to a store or order online can get it right now off of the PSN.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »

Ya know I really wish sony would take some initiative and have more PSP demos available on the marketplace. I'd have loved to test this out before buying it instead of having to torrent a whole copy to see if I'd like to buy it. I'm not made of money, and these games aren't easily obtained for free except illegally. I never understood why some companies indulge players with a demo, while others just assume their game will be bought. Funny thing too is it's normally big name companies who offer demos of their games, like SE and Activision and EA. Meanwhile, these companies' gams will normally see regular sales numbers anyway.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:09:54 AM »

Look, just play Ys VI on the PS2 or whatever. It uses the same engine and so the gameplay's an evolution from that, the biggest change is how you don't carry healing items but rather use them automatically as enemies drop them. If you DID play Ys VI, well, you can draw your conclusion from that.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Making a demo is more than just cutting a part of the game and pasting it saying "here, play this!".  Not to mention XSEED is just the publisher.  While they do have a deal of sorts with Falcom, they don't have any part in the development of the game.  It would be Falcom who makes the demos.

Anyways, my copy hasn't arrived yet.  It's a good thing, I suppose, since I have a huge backlog right now.  Still, I love Ys and have no problem supporting XSEED, so buying is a no-brainer for me.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:15:34 AM »

I'd like to grab both the recent Ys releases, but there's a part of me that wants to wait until I&II come for PSP, grab all three, and play them in sequential order.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »

Geez, I still gotta get Ys Seven first, but this one will definitely be next.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:06:59 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:13:12 AM »

I'm going to get it...soon.

I enjoyed 7 too much to pass this up. I dig the sprite characters here
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:18:20 AM »

Eusis, the PSP Damian played from is the old 1000 model, which he wind up borrowing from me since I got myself a 3000 model. So in that sense, I bear responsibility for that. :p

Anyhow, this is my favorite Ys game and am glad to see it finally reach stateside. For those who played Seven first, keep in mind it's way different than Seven, and a lot shorter, but most definitely sweet.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:09:20 AM »

Anyhow, this is my favorite Ys game and am glad to see it finally reach stateside. For those who played Seven first, keep in mind it's way different than Seven, and a lot shorter, but most definitely sweet.

I take it it's a bit more like Ys: The Vanished Omen, then? I certainly hope it is. I really liked that game.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »

I'd have loved to test this out before buying it instead of having to torrent a whole copy to see if I'd like to buy it.

You've been warned.  I catch you talking about piracy again and we are going to be in trouble.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »

I'd have loved to test this out before buying it instead of having to torrent a whole copy to see if I'd like to buy it.

You've been warned.  I catch you talking about piracy again and we are going to be in trouble.
No, I'm not saying I did, I'm just saying that if I'd like to try the game out before I purchase, I'd have to go to these extremes to do so. Whether I pirate or not is not for discussion, nor would I talk of it here anyway. If I want a game, I buy it, no questions asked. I'm just skeptical about this Ys title now because I did not like VI, but I did enjoy VII greatly. Seeing as VI and this one (III in the series I think) play relatively similarly, I'm kind of trying to see if it's worth it. Parn suggested this title to me, and he's honestly never steered me wrong beforehand (well, except for FFXI...sonuvabitch).

Long story short, it was just a statement of what I'd have to do to try this title before buying, not what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy it if I can find it in my local stop....and sell it the moment it doesn't fit my tastes.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »

It may not have been actual piracy talk, but you were pretty much tottering at the edge there.

Anyways, if you didn't like Ys VI then there IS a good chance you won't like this. Then again, who knows? How recently did you play VI? Your opinion could've changed since and you don't even know it, or you did something like play the PSP version that was a notoriously bad port.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »

It may not have been actual piracy talk, but you were pretty much tottering at the edge there.

Anyways, if you didn't like Ys VI then there IS a good chance you won't like this. Then again, who knows? How recently did you play VI? Your opinion could've changed since and you don't even know it, or you did something like play the PSP version that was a notoriously bad port.
Good point, I played VI when it first released on the PS2. It's not that I hated it, but it wasn't worth me keeping after a single run. Now the reason I'm even looking at III is because first, Parn HIGHLY recommended it to me, and second, I loved VII to the point where I got everything, capped levels, and maxed most everything, and the music in VII was great, as were some of the tracks I heard in the older versions of III. I just can't help jumping back to VI and how I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. Guess I'll just drop the 40 beans and pick it up.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »

Actually, it's $30 if you go for the regular version. You'd basically be paying $10 more for the music CD and Calender, and it's pretty easy to see if you'll like that enough to have some of. And if you got through to the end of Ys VI then it DOES seem plausible that Oath is improved just enough to put it from 'care enough to beat it' to 'really enjoy'.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »

Is the "normal" difficulty setting as easy as Ys 7?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: