Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 11:13:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338624 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys: The Oath in Felghana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Ys: The Oath in Felghana  (Read 3404 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 02:56:58 AM »

I trulu regret starting this game on hard. I'm an action rpg vet, I can run brave fencer musashi with ease, zelda games no problems, alundra pfft, and many others. This game makes every one of those games seem like easy mode. I would rather fight Gannondorf in the original Legend of Zelda, with only 3 hearts, and no armor than continue at the rate I am going. Between the super tiny screen, the horribly tiny sprites, and the poor coloring of enemies vs backgrounds, I am having a horrible time advancing. Bossfights are harsh, with most of their attacks doing at least 1/4 of my health per hit and hitting multiple times, and regular enemies offer roughly the same idea, ravaging me with sheer force of numbers in some cases and ridiculous power in most others. My poor thumb joint is so overworked, it's amazing.

But I refuse to give up. I will continue and I will beat this game. Not because it's good (it's not that good, maybe shoddy voice acting getting to me), not because I have some weaboo sense of honor to fulfill, no none of those weak reasons. I'm gonna beat this game because by god, I refuse to let a video game make me ragequit. 2 weeks, tops, til I finish this (I play these games for only an hour or 2 a day at most, not good with psp stuff for extended durations).

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 03:02:07 AM »

You CAN turn off the VA if you don't like it, I suppose you could even argue that it's a more authentic experience though it seems you'd scoff at that logic anyway.

Everything else is... yeah, that's why I'm on normal. Still having some difficulty with bosses, but not an unreasonable amount. Bonus in that if I try hard I'll have been prepared for it.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 03:11:53 AM »

You CAN turn off the VA if you don't like it, I suppose you could even argue that it's a more authentic experience though it seems you'd scoff at that logic anyway.

Everything else is... yeah, that's why I'm on normal. Still having some difficulty with bosses, but not an unreasonable amount. Bonus in that if I try hard I'll have been prepared for it.
I'm sorry, but the voice acting stays on. As much as I dislike it, you gotta admit, the old butlery-sounding dude who does the narration doing Adol's "responses" is truly hilarious. I had to laugh the first time the narrator says "Adol gave [person in question] his name." Truly remarkable. Dogi's voice actor, however, should really take a note from the Shining Force III school of VAs.

I think honestly I'm just really not used to having to see how to deal with enemy patterns so much. I'm so used to games like Devil May Cry, fighting games as a whole, and basic turn-based rpgs that this style of play is new to me. No counter attacks, no stunning an enemy by hitting them during a move, no dodge roll (REALLY miss a dodge roll). It's so oldschool, and it's killing me more than the bosses I think, lol.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 03:17:56 AM »

I'm sorry, but the voice acting stays on. As much as I dislike it, you gotta admit, the old butlery-sounding dude who does the narration doing Adol's "responses" is truly hilarious.

Well, you can still turn off everyone else (and vice versa) so you can have the best of both worlds. But yes, that narrator's performance is amazing, though I have a different thought than just 'butlery'.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:19:55 AM by Eusis » Logged
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »

I'm playing on hard pretty much because I played it ages ago on PC in normal difficulty, and the enemy patterns change up on harder difficulties along with just hitting harder. I'm still loving it as I did before, and loving the rush. I think its a great call for no healing during fights. Levels and equipment heavily matter, but like a more skill based approach to it, but practice makes perfect.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

Ok, now I want to play. Which is the best game to start on and on which system?

And if Kim is still on, where is that Pearl character from anyway?

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »

Phoenix Wright 2 and 3.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »

Phoenix Wright 2 and 3.
Really? That would not have been my guess. Oh well.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »

I take back every bad thing I said regarding this game, I'm up to valestine Castle, adn it's just amazing now. The music has amped me to kill EVERYTHING I see. I love this game now,

TASTY!
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »

The Valestine... err... Valestein Castle theme will do that to people.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:55 AM »

Well, it seems we have a new Ys fan.

That's never a bad thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: