Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Save Data Self-Erasing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Save Data Self-Erasing  (Read 1468 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:56:27 AM »

So I pulled my copy of Riviera on GBA out of the depths of my bookshelf today. I turned it on to find all my save data was gone. I assumed I'd just deleted it at some point and forgot.

Anyway, I played about an hour, saved and then quit. Turned it back on to find all the data is gone again. Other than that, the game works perfectly. It's just been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years; hasn't been dropped or gone through the wash or anything.

Anyone know why this would be happening?

dcorban

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »

Bootleg copies often have this problem.

GBA games have two methods of saving. The method used varies from game to game. Some games use a battery backed up SRAM, other games use flash memory which doesn't require power.

Often, a bootleg version will use the battery method even if the original legit game uses flash.

Look in the cart slot for the Nintendo logo and copyright. It won't be there on a bootleg.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »

It's not a bootleg. The logo, copyright, model number etc. are all there. Bought it new from an EB Games at the time.

Edit: Also, the first time I played it a few years back I had no issues with the save data at all.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:56:08 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »

I can't lie, I was kinda hoping this was about Nier.

Maybe the flash memory just went bad especially fast on the cart? I haven't heard of this happening before, so I'm guessing the cart's somehow damaged. PSP version doesn't go for much, so I guess you'll need to hunt that down if you have the system.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »

Maybe the flash memory just went bad especially fast on the cart? I haven't heard of this happening before, so I'm guessing the cart's somehow damaged. PSP version doesn't go for much, so I guess you'll need to hunt that down if you have the system.

Yeah, I was considering that. Amazon is the only place I can find it so far and they have it for $30.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »

I have the same problem with my copy of Pokemon Silver. Sad too, because I spent days on end on it back in the day. Thank god I have Soul Silver now.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »

Yeah, I was considering that. Amazon is the only place I can find it so far and they have it for $30.

If you can land a US points card you MIGHT be able to get it cheaper on the US Marketplace. And if you have a stick that can store the game.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »

Found a slightly better price on eBay for a brand new one. Think I might go with that.

Thanks guys.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: