Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Jumping the gap
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Jumping the gap  (Read 3130 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 02:35:41 PM »

My girlfriend is not a gamer, but the games GrimReality mentioned are sure bets. I've gotten her to play Katamari Damacy with me, as well as certain puzzle games. They're simple and easy to play.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »

Ever have a girl lie to you about their interest in videogames while first dating?

My current +1 told me how she loved playing final fantasy as a kid and some N64 stuff in high school and college. So I busted out my N64 for some goldeneye action and we only played once.

At my friends house she didn't want to be the 4th in a scott pilgrim game. LAME

LIARS!!!
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »

Key idea there being that she used to like doing those things. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say. Maybe she just didn't like Goldeneye or Scott Pilgrim :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »

nah she liked goldeneye.

Oh well. that just means when the ps2 or 360 fires up it's some solid Yoda time!
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »

An ex lied to me about that.
Actually she lied about lots of things. It's why she's an ex.
Anyway:
KIRBY!

Seriously, I'm shocked noone's mentioned this. Kirby's Epic Yarn is super cute, really easy (you can't die), and really fun coop. I'm playing through it with my girlfriend now, and there's so many "Squee!" moments, it's just adorable.
Oh hell yes. I needed another excuse to pick this up. She did play new super mario with me a few times. It was great fun.

I guess what I'm getting at is I would like to change her perspective a little. I think she's one of those people that needs to be convinced games can make you think. I explaned some of the scenes and stories from Resonance of Fate and her reaction was a bit of shock that all that was in a game. We were having a phone conversation one time and the title theme from FF XIII was playing in the background and she was shocked again. I bet I could floor her again if I pulled out a good strategy RPG and showed he just how much thought has to go into playing it. 

I'm just looking for a way to make it all reachable for a newcomer. Hell, I learned with the genre. My first RPG was Final Fantasy on the NES, so I think maybe I've lost perspective on what it all looks like to a noob

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »

If you're thinking in terms of graphic adventures, The Longest Journey has a very well done storyline and puzzle-solving gameplay to stimulate the ol' grey matter.  The sequel, Dreamfall, has a killer story as well but some gameplay mechanics are iffy.  And those games have the added bonus of strong, and believable, female protagonists.  In terms of difficulty, those games are not easy.  I was new to the genre when I played TLJ and found it of medium-level difficulty. 

Although Ever17 is discontinued and lacks gameplay beyond Choose Your Own Adventure decision making, it had a fantastic storyline that got my grey matter all charged up. 

Forgot to mention with Trace Memory that though it's a great game, it's not very long.  This wasn't a big deal to me since it was still very good. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »

Kim and I have been playing Kirby's Epic Yarn, and it's almost obvious that it was meant for boy-girl play.  Hell, one character is blue and the other is pink.  It's also very easy to get into, with what is essentially 2-button play.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »

Kirby's gonna happen then for sure.

Never thought of graphic novels, probably since I never played one myself. Maybe that could be something we discover together.

I think it's a crazy stretch to think she'll come to a point where she's playing ff6 going OMG this is AWESOME! But one can hope.

I am happy as hell that she enjoys what she does. it gives us plenty to do together. It's probably worlds better than most guys get, still, i'd love to show her gaming's intelligent side.

Perhaps I'm confusing intelligent with nerdy though. There's plenty of puzzle solving in almost any game, even if it's as simple as 'how the hell do I get that coin over there?'

Thanks guys. I've got lots of ideas now.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 12:17:39 AM »

+1 has been watching me play Dq8 while she does other shit.

She said it's making her want to play games again
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »

You mentioned about games that make you go. Wow... that's in a game? Well, the first reaction is to get a game with a really good plot... oh wait, there's no such thing. Better yet, find a game that does a really good job taking the feel of something else and making it a game. For instance, Hotel Dusk does a really good job of turning the Noir detective genre into a game. Bioshock does a great job of reliving 1930s Art Deco and 50s kitch. Okami creates a living, breathing Japanese watercolor painting. Alan Wake turns the Steven King horror genre into a game, with all the nuances of a David Linch TV mini-series. Can I think of an RPG that follows this? No, not really, RPGs do tend to live in their own little worlds with maybe the acceptions of Fallout and Alpha Protocol. Kirby's Epic Yarn does this with children's stories. But if someone is uncomfortable with childish things (as many teens and young adults are), then it might have a negative effect.

Sometimes it's important for people to realize that games aren't just a lonely little bubble that's free from outside influence.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:09:38 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »

+1 has been watching me play dq8 while she does shit around the crib. She was thinking of getting into it, which is cool.

But can anyway recommend a ps2 rpg-ish game that is somewhat light hearted but cuts out all the crap that drags out rpgs? for instance, all the random battles and ridiculous saving system of DQ8 would insure she'd play for like 2 hours and then ditch it.

The thing she likes about dq8 is the music (even though it's repetitive as all hell), the colorful graphics, and the wacky monsters.

I'll probably pick up katamari for her for xmas stocking stuffer type gift in addition to anything that you guys might come up with.

Love,
Yoda
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 03:16:10 AM »

I stand behind Atelier Iris.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »

I'm gonna put in a recommendation for Half-Life 2 since, just like the original Mario, it teaches you the basics of the gameplay without utilizing a formal tutorial.  The game doesn't throw you a complex laundry list to remember but provides an environment designed to teach lessons by way of experience.  Consider the beginning subway level: you learn the guards are a threat and easily provoked, you learn the boxes are destructible if force is applied and stackable if arranged, the little buzzing guard droids annoy you and highlight your lack of a weapon (of which you're eager to use when you get one).  You are shown the Combine are a scary threat and the need to liberate your brothers boils up inside of you.  This all initiates an extended chase sequence that lets you sharpen your newfound skills.  Nothing is shoved down the player's throat.  It's like a good heaping pile of mashed potatoes.  Easy and delightful on the way down.

The whole game uses this fluid method and is a big reason why it's so critically acclaimed.  So drop it down to the most forgiving difficulty and set her loose on some Combine!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:47:25 PM by Alexander » Logged

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 03:12:52 AM »

I'm surprised no one suggested Pikmin yet.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: