Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335245 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Handheld Must-Avoids
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Handheld Must-Avoids  (Read 5308 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:59:23 AM »

I don't want to just make a general bitching thread, but somebody in the other thread suggested this and it twigged my mind to the Fighting Fantasy DS game - Warlock of Firetop Mountain, which I had been meaning to see if it had been reviewed.

It had ... :/

As far as PSP RPGs, I'm not sure what's good and what's not. I know that the ports for Valkyrie Profile and Ys - Ark of Napishtim are supposed to have pretty brutal loading times, other than that I'm not sure what to avoid.

As for DS....it's a bit more subjective I think. It doesn't seem to be that there are any truly bad RPGs, more just that they disappointed - like Infinite Space. Can anyone else elaborate?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:36:08 AM »

Spectral Souls has horrible load times.  I know no-one on RPGFan except a few people like Idea Factory so I really don't have to mention this but this port is horrible.  I'm not sure about Blazing Souls Accelate's load times.
Aedis Eclipse is decent, though.

Many people can't stand any Global A titles.  They're generally quite repetitive and somewhat grindy.  I find them fun, but not particularly good.  The World Revolves Around Me (or, if you're in North America "My World My Way") is fun, but unless you're rather tolerant of very old-school styles avoid all DS Global A titles.  The PSP has one as well, but it was GameStop exclusive and I didn't try it.  I hear this ones a tad bit better.

Mana Khemia PSP is a disaster.  I loved the original Mana Khemia and played it to death.  What could be wrong with a game you love on a portable system?, I think to myself. Dear God, everything.  The load times are horrible, even when it's installed.  Think 5-10 load times on a simple area switch.  I hear playing it from a download is better, but I only have the UMD and can't comment on that.

Most people didn't like Dragoneer's Aria. I liked it, but couldn't finish it.  Which, if you can tell from my posts, I'm generally a very tolerant gamer and like pretty much everything, so that's saying a lot.  I just got bored with it after a while.  It was interesting though, nice character designs, interesting worldspaces and story, but bad pacing and too many battles.

Valhalla Knights, oh Valhalla Knights. I want to love you. But I can't.  I suppose the easiest way for me to describe Valhalla Knights 2 is a single player Final Fantasy XI, but with your other party members on AI.  (to me) This sounds like a good thing.  It's not.  You have to run through MMO style world-spaces multiple times with no teleportation.  You can sometimes spend a half hour just running to your destination. This isn't the good type of exploration like a Bethesda game, either.  I hear they fixed this in the later games, though.

Will I get attacked if I say Class of Heroes?  I love dungeon crawlers of this style, but this one I just couldn't get into.

My list of DS titles is shorter since I'm actually a bit pickier on DS titles I pick up.

I'd say "be cautious" on RIZOAWD, or in North America "Wizard of Oz: beyond the Yellow Brick Road."  This game is a solid old-school RPG. Very old school. 4 characters, non-customizable.  If you go in knowing and expecting this, you'll probably enjoy it.  If you hate this, you won't like the game at all.  It has, in my opinion, some of the best graphics on the DS and the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant. Iin my own humble opinion "Seasons" is Sakimoto's best song in the last 5 years.  RPGFan's Soundtrack review of the game seems to agree with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfKijGhkmI

One title I'm hesitant to mention here is Black Sigil.  This game has so many technical problems it's not even funny.  Glitches are everywhere, there's freezing, and there's even a full optional dungeon that you can't enter.  Despite the problems, if you're willing to suffer through them, is an interesting story with some great characters. Isa is one of my favorite female characters of all time.

I could add a few more, but I think many titles I play are a bit too niche and are something you would pass over anyway.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:01:15 AM by Cyril » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:19 AM »

Lunar: Dragon Song/Genesis. Running costs HP.

Bleach: The 3rd Phantom. It's like a fanfic with a slooooooooooow battlesystem.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »

Need I plug my review for InuYasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel again?  That game had no redeeming qualities in my eyes. 

Although I haven't played Heroes of Mana, word on the street is that the game is truly awful.  Word on the street also is that while Flower, Sun, and Rain has some delightfully bizarre ideas (it being a Suda 51 game and all) the execution makes it highly unplayable.  I haven't played it, so I can't judge. 

Worst PSP RPG is easily Astonishia Story. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:22:54 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »

Disgaea DS was a mess in my opinion.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »

Valkyrie Profile wasn't really THAT badly ported, certainly not enough so to offset the fact the PS1 game is ridiculously valuable nowadays. Ys VI doesn't really get that defense though, the PS2 version is cheap and not that hard to find, so I think the biggest reason to get it is just to have all the Ys games on the PSP. I suppose the RAM for cutting load times on the Slim might help though.

Umm, there really aren't too many I want to outright say avoid actually. Even Deep Labyrinth, while being crappy, offers some first person hack & slash that nothing else I know of does, but I guess Orcs & Elves can scratch a similar itch more effectively. Well, now that I think about it I didn't much like Kingdom Hearts 358/2 from what I played, but I doubt that'd deter anyone who is a big enough KH fan, if they haven't already played it. You're better off sticking with Birth by Sleep at any rate, I was impressed by what I played of that! Steal Princess is also kind of rubbish, but that really isn't an RPG, just a title from RPG companies (developed by Japan's Climax, released by Atlus).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »

I'll +1 Heroes of Mana and any other game made with the same engine (i.e. Blue Dragon Plus and FFXII Reverent Wings). Japan still has a long way to go in the field of RTSes. And marring JRPG mechanics to the genre didn't help the first time, why would it work the third time?

From the Abyss. Despite what that joker who reviewed this game for this site said, this is one of the most barebones dungeon crawlers I've ever had the misfortune of blowing $19 bux on. It looks like Secret of Mana visually speaking kinda but without anything that made SoM fun or interesting. The single moment of interest in the game was talking to one of the five NPCs in the game after defeating a specific boss as she would slowly go more insane and spiteful at you as the game went on (at the end though the town suggests that it needs to be evacuated and she magically regains her sanity and composure to suggest that she evacuated and nothing comes from the insanity save for a chuckle and a feeling that you've just blown $19 bux on a complete fizzle).

Of the other two Dungeon Crawlers I've played on the system Children of Mana was a vast improvement over From the Abyss in every way imaginable to the point where FtA doesn't even hold a candle to CoM. And Summon Night: Twin Age is an equally vast improvement over Children of Mana in the exact same way (save for character designs which were equally bland for different reasons).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »

From the Abyss. Despite what that joker who reviewed this game for this site said, this is one of the most barebones dungeon crawlers I've ever had the misfortune of blowing $19 bux on.

Poorly designed too. At the beginning of the fire levels, I found a magic ring that drained all fire damage. Guess which element all the enemies, including the boss, attacked with in that part of the dungeon?

Though I have to admit it invincibility was kind of fun...
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:22:01 PM »

From the Abyss. Despite what that joker who reviewed this game for this site said, this is one of the most barebones dungeon crawlers I've ever had the misfortune of blowing $19 bux on.

It got a 73% on here, which is like nearly the lowest possible score you can get on this site as an RPG Lol
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »

It's definitely barebones, but I never hated it nor cringed. Just whatever about it, and was a bit generous. It does not do anything terrible to make the experience painful, but does nothing well either. That is my excuse for it.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »

It got a 73% on here, which is like nearly the lowest possible score you can get on this site as an RPG Lol

I've seen a lot worse.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »

I've seen a lot worse.

Which is a kind of funny example since most people seem to like it way more than Neal did. Gotta have a voice of dissent somewhere I guess.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 05:06:28 PM »

Haha, it was the first thing that came to mind other than Trinity Universe. But this score was lower, so it won. ;)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »

Actually now that I think about it: While there are some awful games that get higher scores than they probably deserve, you CAN argue the fact it's a volunteer site is why the very bottom will remain unused; how many people are going to play through completely awful games without being paid to? Or at least mocking it on Youtube or whatever.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »

Yep, I hated Cladun and every other critic really liked it.  On the other hand, I loved Wild Arms XF and every other critic hated it. 

But another handheld game I'd personally put in the "skip this" pile is Mimana Iyar Chronicle, but there was a handful of people on the forums who rather liked it. 

I still stand behind InuYasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel, Heroes of Mana, Flower Sun & Rain, and Astonishia Story as must avoids.  Oh yeah, Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner was not a good game either.  You should have seen my review of it before it was proofread for the site:P

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: