Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334683 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Handheld Must-Avoids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Handheld Must-Avoids  (Read 5285 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »

ff3

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »

Dark Spire.

I love dungeon crawlers but this game wasn't just a retro styled "remake" of Wizardry/Might and Magic. It's as if the developers wanted to make a game purposefully old school and annoying just to piss the player off.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

Dark Spire.

I love dungeon crawlers but this game wasn't just a retro styled "remake" of Wizardry/Might and Magic. It's as if the developers wanted to make a game purposefully old school and annoying just to piss the player off.

I know this isn't a debate thread, and I certainly don't want to turn it into one, but I couldn't disagree more about this.  I find Dark Spire to be immensely better than many of the other dungeon crawlers on DS (IE Etrian Odyssey).  Admittedly, the first two floors are a bit rough at the start, but from there it's "easy."  The puzzles are actually interesting, the music is great, and the art style is beautiful.  The story is probably one of the best written I've encountered, but you won't really understand it unless you play at least twice in a row and pay attention to even the simplest comment and item description.

My main complaint about the game is that Magic simply becomes so overpowered by the time you hit the 7th floor that I wouldn't even fight half of the battles without a Mage or two (or three, or four) for those groups of 10+ enemies.

I will note, however, that Atlus absolutely butchered the game and the original version is a good deal better.  Freezing is relatively common, one glitch that makes a side-quest enemy not appear, an "oversight" that stops you from completing the game - period - once triggered you can't undo it, and every time you cure a status effect some coding shows up.
If you do play the Dark Spire, you may want to use a walkthrough on 4F and 5F so that you don't accidentally trigger the glitch - something very easy to do.  That or simply don't do any events on 5F until you've explored as much as you can of 4F.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:42:27 AM by Cyril » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »

Dark Spire.

I know this isn't a debate thread, and I certainly don't want to turn it into one, but I couldn't disagree more about this.  I find Dark Spire to be immensely better than many of the other dungeon crawlers on DS (IE Etrian Odyssey).  Admittedly, the first two floors are a bit rough at the start, but from there it's "easy."  The puzzles are actually interesting, the music is great, and the art style is beautiful.  The story is probably one of the best written I've encountered, but you won't really understand it unless you play at least twice in a row, which is a shame.

My main complaint about the game is that Magic simply becomes so overpowered by the time you hit the 7th floor that I wouldn't even fight half of the battles without a Mage or two (or three, or four) for those groups of 10+ enemies.

I will note, however, that Atlus absolutely butchered the game and the original version is a good deal better.  They made more freezes than were in the original, one glitch that makes a side-quest enemy not appear, an "oversight" that stops you from completing the game - period - and every time you cure a status effect some coding shows up.

I whole-heartedly agree. I actually found that the Dark Spire did a lot of things right. Sure it's rough at the start, but once you get into it, it's a lot of fun. It has a lot more emphasis on exploration and puzzle-solving, too, which in my opinion puts it far above the competition, and like you said, the story is great. One of my favorite games on the DS by wide margin.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »

ff3

I actually enjoyed FFIII a lot. Even more than FFIV which some people seem to worship.
With the exception of the story in which IV is miles better, I thought the gameplay to be really fun, switching jobs as you please is fun, the difficulty curve is better.

I think IV starts a lot better, a galaxy away, but near the end the options you have in III made it much more fun, enjoyable and customizable for me.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »

Lunar: Dragon Song/Genesis. Running costs HP.

yup. yupyupyup.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »

ff3

I actually enjoyed FFIII a lot. Even more than FFIV which some people seem to worship.
With the exception of the story in which IV is miles better, I thought the gameplay to be really fun, switching jobs as you please is fun, the difficulty curve is better.

I think IV starts a lot better, a galaxy away, but near the end the options you have in III made it much more fun, enjoyable and customizable for me.

I love Final Fantasy III, but I didn't enjoy the DS version. The added story elements never really felt right, and the battles were made tediously long thanks to the animations. I didn't care for the job rebalancing, but only because I don't see why jobs in an RPG need to be balanced. You go through all that work to get those new jobs, they better be better than what you already got. It's still better than nothing for those who want the real deal, but I just preferred to play the NES version with a fan translation.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »

Ok, I just played Ys VI for real, grabbing it for $6 from GameStop. I'm going to return it when practical because after Oath I can't settle for this. The Slim makes the load times somewhat tolerable, but the shitty frame rate and extremely blurry textures are too hard to swallow after how well Oath's port turned out. But hey, at least I appreciate that port all the more thanks to this, and will probably feel similarly about Trails in the Sky!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:02:33 AM by Eusis » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »

ff3

Easy solution: play The 4 Heroes of Light instead. It's like Final Fantasy III, but better in almost every aspect.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:50:44 AM by Tomara » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 01:07:36 AM »

ff3

I love Final Fantasy III, but I didn't enjoy the DS version. The added story elements never really felt right, and the battles were made tediously long thanks to the animations. I didn't care for the job rebalancing, but only because I don't see why jobs in an RPG need to be balanced. You go through all that work to get those new jobs, they better be better than what you already got. It's still better than nothing for those who want the real deal, but I just preferred to play the NES version with a fan translation.

Easy solution: play The 4 Heroes of Light instead. It's like Final Fantasy III, but better in almost every aspect.

Now that's a solution I could get behind. Could, but I won't. I haven't played 4 Heroes of Light yet, so I don't know how it compares to either version of Final Fantasy III, and considering the fact that FF3 is one of my favorite FF games ever (and favorite NES game), I have too much nostalgia to make such a statement without having definititive proof of its quality.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 01:34:33 AM »

Lunar: Dragon Song/Genesis. Running costs HP.

yup. yupyupyup.
Wait what? Running costs HP!? What were they thinking!?

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »

Mimana Iyar Chronicle

Haven't seen this mentioned, but I almost picked it up the other day after seeing it cheap.

Avoid?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »

As for DS....it's a bit more subjective I think. It doesn't seem to be that there are any truly bad RPGs, more just that they disappointed - like Infinite Space. Can anyone else elaborate?

Apparently it disappointed you but I think it is the best game on the DS.  Just sayin'

I'd say to avoid Golden Sun Dark Dawn unless you like

1) being treated like a 5 year old constantly
2) horribly written dialogue
3) not having any significant innovations/changes to the original golden sun battle system
4) awkward item menus and a useless world map
5) general lack of dungeons
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »

As for DS....it's a bit more subjective I think. It doesn't seem to be that there are any truly bad RPGs, more just that they disappointed - like Infinite Space. Can anyone else elaborate?

Apparently it disappointed you but I think it is the best game on the DS.  Just sayin'

I'd say to avoid Golden Sun Dark Dawn unless you like

1) being treated like a 5 year old constantly
2) horribly written dialogue
3) not having any significant innovations/changes to the original golden sun battle system
4) awkward item menus and a useless world map
5) general lack of dungeons

I thought dungeons were plentiful enough.

One thing I hated the MOST in the game was the "fright" music when you entered the "dark" areas.  How annoying...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »

I played the game about 9 hours and gave up.  In all that time I completed only one dungeon which took maybe half an hour.  There were some other little "dungeons" with enemy encounters but you could run through those in like 3 mins so they didn't really count imo.  My brother beat it and he still said there still weren't much dungeons so I found it easy to believe.  Game rather have you run around and watch boring cutscenes repeatedly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: