Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329490 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Handheld Must-Avoids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Handheld Must-Avoids  (Read 5216 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »

Some may not agree with me and if you don't I genuinely ask you to explain to me why you like this game: Infinite Space.

The gameplay is so confusing it makes Knights in the Knightmare mechanics look like a baby's toy. The characters look blend and unispiring, voice acting is bad, but luckily it's only in the videos, the graphics are just terrible and for the last, the worst, the combat is so boring it almost made me sleep and I'm not kidding.

Maybe I'm missing the point about customizing your ship and all, but I truly wanted it to be good.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »

Mimana Iyar Chronicle

Haven't seen this mentioned, but I almost picked it up the other day after seeing it cheap.

Avoid?
A bit late, but. . .
Yeah, probably, if you're not a very tolerant gamer.  I mean, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it (it has an excellent localization and surprisingly good voice acting) but there are a lot of problems.
Caer Seraphim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 07:15:33 AM »

Disgaea DS was a mess in my opinion.

The music was butchered, sure, but the rest of everything, including expanded content, was intact. It was actually my introduction to the series, and I thought it was incredible for a handheld srpg. The third one ended up being one of the first games I got for the PS3.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »

Some may not agree with me and if you don't I genuinely ask you to explain to me why you like this game: Infinite Space.

The gameplay is so confusing it makes Knights in the Knightmare mechanics look like a baby's toy. The characters look blend and unispiring, voice acting is bad, but luckily it's only in the videos, the graphics are just terrible and for the last, the worst, the combat is so boring it almost made me sleep and I'm not kidding.

Maybe I'm missing the point about customizing your ship and all, but I truly wanted it to be good.

I like the game mainly for the story, exploration, and customization.  IMO the writing is really good and the characters have good depth to them, especially the main character since he changes a lot throughout the game.  Even conversations with random people in the bars are usually interesting and make the "world" of the game seem more real.  I also like that the game frequently allows you to make choices that change the way the story unfolds, though the game only has one ending.  What battles you fight, what characters join you, what characters you kill, what ships and modules you get, all these things can be affected by your choices throughout the game.  

The ship customization is a lot of fun thanks to the tetris like modules you use to modify the ship and the fact that there are a lot of different modules with different effects.  Certainly more fun than the actual combat IMO.  I'll agree with you the combat is pretty boring, but usually it is a quick affair if you keep stabbing that touch screen to skip the animations (everyone does this most of the time, anyone who says otherwise is lying lol).  Of course, I will sometimes watch the animations just to feel cool when I see a whole ton of projectiles from my ships wreck everything.  I'd say Knights in the Nightmare has much more complicated gameplay, as the only thing especially  complicated about Infinite Space is the ship customization.  The game does do a pretty bad job of explaining how to tell what enemy ship is "in front" though so I had a lot of trouble against the first boss because of that.  Basically though, I'm saying the meat of the game is not the combat so I don't think it is all that terrible that the battle system is unexceptional.  So that is why I like it but I can tell it's not for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:02:01 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »

Lunar: Dragon Song/Genesis. Running costs HP.

Bleach: The 3rd Phantom. It's like a fanfic with a slooooooooooow battlesystem.

what are you talking about? 3rd phantom is one of the best ds SRPG's. easily better than both DS fire emblems wich are both must avoids. i played a godzilla srpg for nes once that was more entertaining than those pos DS fire emblems.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »

Are you harshing Godzilla's grills.

Are u harshing Godzilla's grills?????

sister it's on

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »

Lunar: Dragon Song/Genesis. Running costs HP.

Bleach: The 3rd Phantom. It's like a fanfic with a slooooooooooow battlesystem.

what are you talking about? 3rd phantom is one of the best ds SRPG's. easily better than both DS fire emblems wich are both must avoids. i played a godzilla srpg for nes once that was more entertaining than those pos DS fire emblems.

This coming from somebody who praised SRW L as something other than a lazy cash in. Hell it's arguable as to whether it was an improvement to K or not since K had Dann of Thursday wrecking shit, Calligi's excellent adventure, and an original who deserved to be punched in the face repeatedly versus L's one mechanic fix, the Thundercougarfalconbird, and GW:EW's Wu Fei and the main character from Linebarrels of Iron compete to see who's the bigger douchebag. Hell having Frontier's and Rebuild's debut is more of a mark against L rather than for it considering that Rebuild isn't anywhere near complete (and still lacks enough differences to truly mark it as a different beast from vanilla Eva) and Frontier deserved better despite the show's theme's and ending.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »

Valhalla Knights, oh Valhalla Knights. I want to love you. But I can't.  I suppose the easiest way for me to describe Valhalla Knights 2 is a single player Final Fantasy XI, but with your other party members on AI.  (to me) This sounds like a good thing.  It's not.  You have to run through MMO style world-spaces multiple times with no teleportation.  You can sometimes spend a half hour just running to your destination. This isn't the good type of exploration like a Bethesda game, either.  I hear they fixed this in the later games, though.

This is exactly how I feel. Despite a lack of features VH1 is a bit more playable than VH2. Still the grinding style of these games appeals to me in such a way that I haven't given up on them yet, but they definitely try my patience.

Umm, there really aren't too many I want to outright say avoid actually. Even Deep Labyrinth, while being crappy, offers some first person hack & slash that nothing else I know of does, but I guess Orcs & Elves can scratch a similar itch more effectively.

Orcs & Elves is superb. It is very short but that's because it lacks any annoying filler that would artificially extend the game play. It's very concise and very well designed. The dungeon layouts and puzzles are great. Deep Labyrinth is the opposite. It's rambling, repetitive, poorly balanced, and uninspired. I still managed to beat both chapters of it for some reason.

I've got a more in depth Deep Labyrinth review on my blog if any are curious:
http://lasthumanfamily.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/review-deep-labyrinth/
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »

O&E2 is sort of better but that's trapped on the phone, forever. It's basically a slightly longer O&E1 with a lot more polish and some optional hidden stuff. Also the DOOM RPG games would be cool on the DS. Realistically just releasing a compilation of all of the games made with that engine would work pretty cool, or maybe PSN releases.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:16:50 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »

Oh God Lunar Dragon Song, just Lunar Dragon Song. -.- What was GameArts thinking?? Give me back the Lunar I know and love!!

Sheesh between that and Grandia 3 (which was actually still decent compared to fucking Dragon Song) GameArts looks to be heading in the direction that our dear Square is heading in.

Besides that....other bad handheld RPGs though they are rather old are the Shining Force GBA games, and the Breath Of Fire GBA ports, bleh.

Avid Grandia and Lunar Fan
Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »

and the Breath Of Fire GBA ports, bleh.

Doesn't count, those sucked on the SNES too.

o/` I do not dream o/`

EurAsianGirl
Restricted Members

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »

and the Breath Of Fire GBA ports, bleh.

Doesn't count, those sucked on the SNES too.
Ha-Ha I wouldn't know I haven't played the SNES ones but I've heard that they're much better than the GBA ports except for 2's horrible translation....

Speaking of bad handheld ports, Tales Of Phantasia also is pretty awful. Goddamn we really got the lame-ass version of that game, I wanted the PS1 version dammit!!!! (Or PSP)

Avid Grandia and Lunar Fan
Awaiting Tales Of Graces F, Rune Factory Oceans, Ar Tonelico 3 and Harvest Moon Twin Leaf Villiage.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »

I've heard that they're much better than the GBA ports except for 2's horrible translation....

They are identical ports except for the music quality in BoF2 being slightly worse which is irrelevant because that game had terrible music anyway.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: