Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 09:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329485 Posts in 13499 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What the hell does this mean? E3 Gone?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What the hell does this mean? E3 Gone?  (Read 3025 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:11:51 PM »

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3538&Itemid=2

Any editors have any insider info on this? It doesnt sound like E3 is going to be totally gone, but more like.....very toned down.

Disturbing news at the very least.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »

I read the news on GameSpot - I'm waiting to see what's up until the ESA makes their statement.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 03:21:50 PM »

ho - ly crap.

Yeah, um...

*tears*

I'm glad I at least made it to the last two E3s.

We'll see what happens.

Ramza

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 03:23:03 PM »

The aforementioned GameSpot news item is talking about a downsize rather than a complete shutdown. Still sad news if it all turns out to be true.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »

That'd really suck, but maybe it'd promote game news to be released at a better rate than simply shoving it out all at once. But then, I wonder if A. Someone else will organize a new event, or B. they'll use some other currently occuring event for the big announcements, like CES, PAX, or even SDCC. PAX seems the most fitting, though CES would amuse me, given that's what E3 essentially killed.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
That'd really suck, but maybe it'd promote game news to be released at a better rate than simply shoving it out all at once. But then, I wonder if A. Someone else will organize a new event, or B. they'll use some other currently occuring event for the big announcements, like CES, PAX, or even SDCC. PAX seems the most fitting, though CES would amuse me, given that's what E3 essentially killed.

CES is far from dead, it's simply moved to a more hardware assorted electronics show.  You see a lot of companies that do Home Theatre, Car Audio, etc, showing off their new stuff.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »

I think Sony is behind it all....
They were obviously embarassed about their ps3 showing so they want the damn e3 gone!
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »

Egh. All in all, if true I think it's a good thing. E3 has gotten absolutely ridiculous over the years, and I can't really blame companies for not wanting to spend all that money on the event.

On the other end of the coin, however, if it's true that the "new E3" would only host hundreds, it gives the bigger sites even more of a deathgrip on the journalism aspect of it all. E3 is gonna be one of the most reliable avenues that smaller places have in making new contacts and meeting new people in the industry and the like. But, at the same time, video game journalism is the only branch of journalism that has as many homegrown, "wow-this-looks-cool-and-i'll-get-free-games-and-attention-from-important-people" outlets because of the nature of it all, so maybe I shouldn't bitch about that either :P

There are many people I was looking forward to meeting next year, though =((((((

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 06:29:44 PM »

On the one hand, I can see why companies want to save costs. However, if they really cut down it down to a few hundred selected media representatives, the question will be how do you select those lucky ones who can attend that new E3. Sure, you have the big commercial sites like GameSpot, IGN, 1UP or Famitsuu, but what about the fan sites? Are you going to introduce a lottery or select sites based on their performance on GameRankings :P?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 11:19:25 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
CES is far from dead, it's simply moved to a more hardware assorted electronics show.  You see a lot of companies that do Home Theatre, Car Audio, etc, showing off their new stuff.

Should've noted that I meant as far as  /games/ go. Fully aware it's alive, just not really doing much for video games, though that seems to have been improving.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 11:57:11 PM »

Well, there's always the Tokyo Game Show, at least. Also, would RPGFan qualify as one of those lucky sites that would still be able to go? :P You guys do a good job, though, seriously. I wouldn't see why not.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 12:02:54 AM »

I don't know how many sites get in for doing nothing, but if it's in the /hundreds/, I half expect only the big name magazines/sites could go. Probably depends on how many hundred though, and if that includes developers and those folks.

Edit: Alternatively, it could also mean only one or two people go to E3 rather than half the staff.
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 12:32:02 AM »

Well, there's always the Tokyo Game Show, at least.

TGS is hella difficult for a lot of foreign outlets to get press access to, and they're downsizing too from what I hear. Who knows though.

Also, would RPGFan qualify as one of those lucky sites that would still be able to go?

I don't exactly have RPGFan's perspective, but if I had to guess I'd say it'd be hard unless publishers themselves got to dole out a certain amount of invites  and it wasn't an all-ESA thing.

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 02:08:41 AM »

I would assume that if they were cutting down media representatives that sites like RPGFan would be shafted even for fansites with lower ratings on the basis that they cover only a genre.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 03:24:39 AM »

I would assume that if they were cutting down media representatives that sites like RPGFan would be shafted even for fansites with lower ratings on the basis that they cover only a genre.

I think Rico's right. However...

unless publishers themselves got to dole out a certain amount of invites and it wasn't an all-ESA thing.

That would be awesome. I'm sure Square Enix and Atlus would get us in. ^^

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: