Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331266 Posts in 13564 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What the hell does this mean? E3 Gone?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What the hell does this mean? E3 Gone?  (Read 3049 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 03:40:32 AM »

The more that i think about it, the more they invited people totally irrelevant to the game industry - several celebrities and bands had gone, and I /think/ EB/GS employees got to go in years past. As well as what I hinted at in my previous post, they might just be cutting down on people who really aren't with the press or active, significant members of the industry, as well as letting fewer people from each site/magazine come to cover the goods.

And the more I think about it, the more it seems silly they have an extravagent expo that they pour millions into, yet close off to anyone that isn't press/trade/celebrity. It was crowded as it was from all I've heard, but it seems like their efforts were more in line to get the average person involved, when instead it's being relayed in pieces to everyone but the aforementioned. They would probably produce more money with a public variation where they could make money off of the general public that wants in, and maybe sell some games and stuff for a slightly discounted price to lure in more revenue, and possibly generate further hype.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

Time for silly melodrama: Oh fate, thou art a cruel mistress.  Why dost thou taunt and mock me so?  I couldn't go to E3 last year because I was still a newbie contrib on staff and only full fledged editors can go.  I couldn't go this year because of accursed final exams.  And now with this news, I may never get to go.  Heh, and thanks to being in a gigging band, I was (and still am) getting better at shameless self-promotion and PR stuff.  

Now I'll be logical:

On the other hand, scaling back is not something I'm surprised about in the least.  I mean, they did make attempts to scale back this year by trying to cut down on and even eliminate "booth babes" (because such models don't come cheap) just to name one example.

It almost sounds to me, especially with the premonitions abound in this thread, that they're aiming to streamline E3 into a more professional event like a conference (like maybe AERA or something) and less of a bombastic trade show spectacle (like NAMM or something.)  

Maybe as someone said, the new E3 may work like an academic conference in that media outlets that want in but weren't among the elite top invitees may have to submit a proposal or something outlining why said media outlet deserves to be there.  

Of course, that's not always fair because you never know who's on the committees to read and accept proposals into their conference.  I mean, to use an example from academia, you could have an amazing qualitative research study proposal for submission but if the committee reading it to judge your participation in the conference are all quantitative researchers, your chances of getting in are slim, despite your proposal's awesomeness.  

In other words, I think Ramza and Rico are right.  It will likely end up a "who you know," the connections you have, and the palms you've had to grease to get in rather than "what you know."

EDIT: Just so we're on the same page, I'm cool with downsizing.  You may not get to shake hands with as many people, but the people you do shake hands with will be more relevant for forging contacts.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »

It's official, folks.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »

I knew Sony was behind it :D
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »

Honestly, I can see downsizing as a good thing.  Have you guys ever tried to conduct a meeting on the show floor?  It's fucking impossible, especially when you're as deaf as I am and only hear background rumbling.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Honestly, I can see downsizing as a good thing.  Have you guys ever tried to conduct a meeting on the show floor?  It's fucking impossible, especially when you're as deaf as I am and only hear background rumbling.

I tried to do an interview with one of the Sigma Star Saga dudes in '05 in a closed off part of Namco's booth and still couldn't hear half of what he said :E

Yah, I don't think it's a bad thing. Seems like it's gonna be a real kick in the nuts to the little guys though.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »

I just hope that with this downsized, that they /do/ release news on a more consistant basis and not just 'save it all up for the big show'. If they keep doing that (I admittedly half expect them to do it anyway for this next show), then I'll just be annoyed.

Also, could we be seeing E3 in July now?
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »

Having it in July wouldn't be bad.  Summer months are practically dead when it comes to games/gaming news.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »

E3 renamed to E3Expo - Etertainment Entertainment Expo... Expo?
I don't see why E3 didn't work before, And if they want to seperate the smaller expo from the original incarnation, wouldn't something like E3Con sound stupid, but less redundant? Or better yet, a total rename to show how different it is?

Edit: Nevermind, it's the E3 Media Festival. Same GameSpot URL as above, but updated. And the attendence is estimated to be 5,000 - I think RPGFan will get in just fine, just not the assorted store employees that are there only for playing games early and free booze.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 09:10:37 PM »

Does anyone else hear the word Festival and think....BIG SHABANG?

And....5,000 people still sounds like a big deal to me, not nearly what both articles posted seemed to portray.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 09:12:33 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Does anyone else hear the word Festival and think....BIG SHABANG?

And....5,000 people still sounds like a big deal to me, not nearly what both articles posted seemed to portray.

Makes me think it'll be more along the lines of what it's meant to be - show off future stuff to the press to report to everyone else. As it was in recent years, it was more like a extravagent party that was highly exclusive to a fault.

Edit: I'm trying to find the attendence numbers of earlier shows - this may really just be regressing back to when it started, rather than turning into some event that's dramatically smaller than ever before.

Edit 2: Started with 50,000 according to GameSpy. Yeah, definitely turned into a dramatically smaller event than ever.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: