Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334683 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Component Cable for PS2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Component Cable for PS2  (Read 2187 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »

Worth tracking down?

I know they're cheap on amazon but just wanted some input. I play my ps2 on 2 tvs. a 19" 720i and a 42" 1080p LCD

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »

I don't think it could hurt anything if it's cheap. I have a 36" TV and even Persona 3, which is not exactly the most graphically amazing PS2 game ever, looked a lot better than with A/V cables. Worth if if you've got a nice TV IMO. 

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:55 PM »

Certain games look better on a big tube TV though. Emulation (PS3 or PC) is the better route
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »

You'll probably prefer S-Video for the HDTVs for PS1 games and some PS2 titles like Ico and Disgaea, they're in 240p and not all HDTVs accept that signal over Component, just look at one of the older threads in this specific forum. For PS2 games though it's pretty great, mine's 26 inch 760p and I think they look pretty nice over component generally. Some games look kinda crappy though like PSU, but there's the 360 version and it's not like I can play the PS2 version online anymore anyway.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »

Oh god Ico looks terrible via the normal video cables. It literally looks like I'm playing a 360 w/o my contacts in lol.

The 42" tv doesn't even have an s-video. The 19" does though.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:10:04 PM »

It IS worth testing, my TV supports it and is a Sony Bravia. One from 2005 though, so they could've easily dropped that in recent years. I wouldn't count on a Vizio or Westinghouse supporting it though.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »

I bought one last year for my ps2, one of the best purchases ive made. The difference is huge even on games without "P" support (the difference it makes in shadow hearts more than paid for the cost of the cable).
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »

I have a $20 cable that has plugs for PS2/PS3, Wii, and xbox/360.  I was just looking for Wii component cables, but this was cheaper and had a ton more functionality.

See if you can't justify that purchase.  Check the no-name cables at Gamestop or somewhere.

Although PS2 games still look bad on my Bravia.  Even with pillars on the sides, there seems to be some sort of guesswork being done by my TV to fill in missing rows of image data.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:28:54 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »

I have a $20 cable that has plugs for PS2/PS3, Wii, and xbox/360.  I was just looking for Wii component cables, but this was cheaper and had a ton more functionality.

See if you can't justify that purchase.  Check the no-name cables at Gamestop or somewhere.

Although PS2 games still look bad on my Bravia.  Even with pillars on the sides, there seems to be some sort of guesswork being done by my TV to fill in missing rows of image data.

I found that turning off all the programs TVs have that reduce motion blur or whatever make for a better picture.

My friend's PS2 took a shit so he gave me his cable. Much sharper image and color. So far I've only tried DQ8.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »

Try DQ in widescreen (with your TV set to fullscreen), and then try it set to 4:3 with pillars on your TV screen.  You do get a wider view with the game set to wide, but the image quality will be better at 4:3. 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: