Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 12:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329985 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  To the Moon [Now Available!]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: To the Moon [Now Available!]  (Read 10618 times)
Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:41:18 PM »

Hiya everyone! My name's Reives/Kan from Freebird Games, creator of Quintessence - The Blighted Venom and The Mirror Lied.

After 5 years of making games and composing soundtracks, I have finally released my first commercial project, "To the Moon" [Sci-fi/Drama/Psychological].

Announcement Trailer:

In-Game Preview Trailer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original Soundtrack demo: click!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the Moon is an unconventional RPG/adventure game, revolving around a reverse-chronological story that spans a life time.

Dr. Eva Rosalene and Dr. Neil Watts have rather peculiar jobs:

They give people another chance to live. Literally.

There exists a technology that allows doctors to weave artificial memories, such that a patient can request attempts to alter their mind, and wake up with memories of things that didn't actually happen.

However, since these new memories are permanent, the conflict between them and the existing authentic memories clash in such a way that it ceases the person's ability to properly function.

Thus, the operation is only done to people on their deathbeds, to fulfill what they wish they had done with their lives. . . but didn't.

But creating a new memory is not as simple as pressing a button.

The technology allows the doctors to step into the memories of the patient, which are reconstructed as interactive scenes. The doctors then gradually traverse backwards through memories of the patient's life until they reach childhood -- at which point, the wish of the patient in present time would be transferred over.

Along with the doctors' influence, the patient (as a child) could then lead an entire different life inside their head, working toward and fulfilling their dying wish themselves. And if all goes well, they would wake up, having lived the dream life they never had, and embrace a brief moment of blissful fulfillment.

Shortly after, they'd be drawing their last breath.

Every once a while, there comes a life that is rather peculiar.

This particular story follows Dr. Rosalene and Dr. Watts' attempt to fulfill the dream of the dying elderly man, Johnny. In their mission to do so, they traverse backwards through the manís memories, unfolding his curious life story before their eyes.

With each step back in time, a new fragment of Johnny's past is revealed. And as the two doctors piece together the puzzled events that spanned a life time, they seek to find out just why the frail old man chose his dying wish to be what it is.

And Johnny's last wish is, of course. . . to go to the moon.

The original soundtrack of the game will also be available, of which 50% of the profit will be donated to charities for autistic spectrum disorders, something that is relevant to the game's story. It is composed by myself and the talented Laura Shigihara, composer of Plants vs. Zombies (and her upcoming project, Melolune), who is kindly writing a special vocal song for the game.

I'll be posting more info/screenshots about the game and its mechanics as the project nears its release date! All feedbacks are appreciated. c:

Cheers, and hope you guys like how it's looking so far!
Reives/Kan
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 02:26:24 PM by Reives » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »

Holy hell.

That concept is just so intriguing. x.x How clever.

I do indeed like how that is looking.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »

Your ideas sound very interesting, if a bit depressing.

Okay, really depressing.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »

I feel the opposite. I think it's really uplifting.

What's more depressing, a man dying having his dreams never realised? Or dying happy and content, even though his memories are fabricated.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:51:20 AM »

Day one for me!

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »

I have to admit, most of the time I'm pretty ambivalent to indie RPGs - there hasn't been one that's really grabbed me.  The concept for this game is really, really intriguing.  I'm excited to see what the final product is like.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:19:12 AM »

Wow. Your post sure did what you intended it to do. The premise is fantastic. It kinda reminds me of Inception, but that's certainly not a bad thing.
I'm not much of an indie gamer either, but I might just be getting this one.
Thanks for letting us know about your game.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »

Hey it's Reives with one of his rpg maker games! Can't wait!
Does the game come with a where's waldo map too? :3

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »

Quintessence: The Blighted Venom is still my favorite freeware indie game and I loved the atmosphere in The Mirror Lied.  I'm interested, and I too have been a bit ambivalent toward indie/RPGM stuff lately.  A lot of it seems to be retreading familiar ground and this one sounds like it's treading ground less often seen in games and more in movies, as someone else said with Inception.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:36:38 PM »

Hey, many thanks for the support guys! I really appreciate it. (And hiya again Dincrest & Wild!) Also, no worries about being ambivalent toward indie RPGs; I stand by my work and want everyone to be able to give it a try risk-free, so on top of the 1 hour free trial, there will be a 60-day money back guarantee to cover yer behinds from all angles. c:

And without further adieu, here's a platypus.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 02:48:15 AM by Reives » Logged

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »

I'm actually pretty interested in this title, as well. I've played a few indie RPGs, and I loved the Mirror Lied. Question, though; do you have a good proofreader for the text? One thing I've noticed with many of the indies I've played is that little if any proofreading/editing happened to the text before release. In text-heavy games, a lack of good spelling/grammar and dialogue flow really hurts the presentation.

Also, shameless plug: if you need/want someone to give the dialogue a once- or twice-over (gratis, no less), I am looking to get a game under my belt. PM me if you're interested.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »

Hey Phoenix. Yeah, spelling/grammar mistakes are definitely a big turn off for me too. I think with some of my old projects early on, I did have cases where rushed releases resulted in some unfixed errors, but I'm being very careful with this one. At the moment there isn't someone for proofreading specifically, but the alpha demo testers are reporting all the linguistic errors they can find which have been really helpful. None the less, if you'd like, it would definitely help. It's a really important aspect of story-heavy games, so someone to check it would really be appreciated. c:

Hm, there's something that's been worrying me a bit. . . The game's title doesn't seem to be very search-engine-friendly. Perhaps it's just because the website/threads for the game has just been made a few days ago, but at the moment the only way to google a page related to it (e.g. this thread or the main site made earlier this week) is to add "Freebird Games" at the end; even "To the Moon RPG" (or +adventure game) doesn't result in any relevant pages, despite all the other titles with "moon" (and dear lord there're a lot of them) don't start with "To the" and aren't RPG/adventure games.

Do you guys think when the game is actually released with some actual coverage, it'd make enough difference for it to be searchable?

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »

"Hang on, The Cheat! We're blasting off ... TO THE MOON!!!"

~Strong Bad

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »

Farewell, Ruins of the Moon.

Google skips words like "the" and maybe even "to" by default, I believe.  

ahh, nevermind.  I'm wrong about that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:18:28 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:20:05 PM »

This could be fantastic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: