Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 01:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341232 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Phantasia (PSP) Screens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia (PSP) Screens  (Read 7969 times)
Fei

« on: July 31, 2006, 12:57:32 AM »

Hey folks! This is my first post....ever....I don't know if you have seen the new Tales of Phantasia screenshots but I found them on this site:

http://www.onlywired.com/2006/07/30/tales-of-phantasia-psp/

frankly...it looks kinda...meh. I was hoping that they would atleast do it in 3D. I remember playing the SNES ROM...and that was a great game. Does anybody know if this is a direct port or not?
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:11:15 AM »

Holy balls, that looks pretty (for 2D at least). It reminds me a lot of Tales of Destiny, of which I think had a particularly alluring graphical style.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »

Huh. not as big of a leap as I thought, I thought they'd be touching up all the graphics over the PSX version. Instead, it just looks like the battle sprites are, and I need to look at pictures of those again. But, hey, it's still a good looking game.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:56 AM »

It's still a pretty looking game.  3-D graphics be damned!  :P

I do have to wonder, though, what they mean by "Full voiced version".  Far as I can recall, only the battles, chat sessions, and a few scenes were voiced.  So does this mean that more scenes will have voices in them than the past versions of ToP?

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »

Quote from: "Spoony Mage"
It's still a pretty looking game.  3-D graphics be damned!  :P

I do have to wonder, though, what they mean by "Full voiced version".  Far as I can recall, only the battles, chat sessions, and a few scenes were voiced.  So does this mean that more scenes will have voices in them than the past versions of ToP?
They mean that there's voiceacting in the text.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:49:39 AM »

Quote from: "Mana Knight"
They mean that there's voiceacting in the text.

Heh, pretty much guarantees we either A. won't ever get it, or B. we can dread hearing half of the VA. It is possible to do a lot of VA and make it sound good; I'm sure that all of it combined would have less voice acting than the KotOR titles and maybe Jade Empire. But the question is if Namco will care as much as Bioware would?
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:41 AM »

Loosk nice, looks like theyre trying to wash away the damage done by the GBA one.. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Fate Linegod

yandy_zer0
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:25:02 PM »

If the remake looks gorgeous as ToD, I'll buy it.
But it doesn't seem so for this game.

"We're anything but Normal"
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:29:14 PM »

I like the graphics, but I'm not buying a PSP specifically for this game.  I would buy Valkyrie Profile as well, but I'm not going to buy a PSP for two games.  I'll stick with the GBA version even though it makes me cry sometimes.

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 12:21:13 AM »

It is just a port of the PS1 version (with some added stuff), which wasn't very good in my opinion.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »

Yikes.  Looks pretty bland actually.

Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:54:58 PM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
It is just a port of the PS1 version (with some added stuff), which wasn't very good in my opinion.
It's definitely better than the schotty GBA version, from what I hear.  The majority of Tales fans say the PS1 version is the one to get, from what I hear.

I don't really know if they game will come stateside though.  In some ways (although probably not true) SCEA would like it to come stateside, to prove it can do ToP better than GBA (although I really doubt they care, but they should).  

I hope it comes to Europe at least, since other RPGs are doing very well there.  If it doesn't, I may still import it.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »

Quote from: "Mana Knight"
It's definitely better than the schotty GBA version, from what I hear.  The majority of Tales fans say the PS1 version is the one to get, from what I hear.

I found the SFC version of Tales of Phantasia to be superior.  Mainly because of the battle system, as it was faster paced, and just more fun in my opinion.  My favorite part of the PS1 version was the World Map.  But the battle system was awful, and I really didn't like the art style in comparison to the original.
Sacred-Star

popoddessy2001@hotmail.com SummonerYuna82 Sailor_Water00
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 07:58:14 PM »

That does look pretty cool for 2d graphics and all.  Can't wait to play it.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 10:55:16 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Loosk nice, looks like theyre trying to wash away the damage done by the GBA one.. =P

What do you mean, wash away the damage done by the gba one?! It looks almost the same as the gba one, and it was not awful, like everyone is making it out to be - every review i've read seems to say it's the worst rpg ever. Look, there are some European Nintendo rpg fans out there (like me) who haven't been able to play ToP before, so it doesn't help if everyone gets at the remake just because it's not like the psone version and because its on the gba. Everyone who's replied to this topic has the same view about the gba version: its awful and has ruined the name of the Tales series. And now all of you are willing to play it just because it's on PSP. If that's not Sony favouritism, then I don't know what is. And I don't know if anyone remembers, but Phantasia was originally on the SNES. But then Namco, like every other rpg developer including Square, turns traitor on Nintendo and remakes their games on Sony's console just to get back at them for not using CDs to put their games on. I'm sure all these reasons are something to do with why not many people like Symphonia (except for Tales fans) - it's an rpg on a Nintendo console, and it should be on Ps2 because it's the prequel to a ps1 game, which it wasn't originally. In fact, the only reason I think it got released on ps2 as well was because so many fans said "why was it on Nintendo?". When both ToP and ToS would be good on both Nintendo and Sony consoles - though Symphonia clearly has been made for gamecube, seeing as there are four players you can have in total. And nobody has a problem with ff 3 being remade on ds, with its good graphics and also its widely known fact that it was on the NES. So there seems to be a theme with how everyone judges how good or bad a remake is: how it looks. Can at least one person please stop criticising the gba remake because it's slightly inferior to the psone remake, and because it was on a Nintendo console? Or I'll actually start complaining...

Plus Dice, is there any way you could have put more hatred into that post?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: