Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 10:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338561 Posts in 13857 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Phantasia (PSP) Screens
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia (PSP) Screens  (Read 7901 times)
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 10:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
If it was me, I would ditch the entire rule anyways.
I think that the reason SCEA does this is that many U.S. publishers will port old PS1 games to PSP, trying to make a quick profit off of an old game, without trying to add anything new.  There might be some good games mixed in, but at the same time, there will probably be a lot of bad games mixed in.  A good percentage of the PSP games on the shelves, would probably be PS1 ports; therefore, possibly hurting the sales of other games, because there's too much to choose from.  PSP already gets a lot of heat for ports, and having a ton of PS1 ports floating around (like Japan) might give it even more heat.  Although having Suikoden I & II and others might be nice, but I may not want to see an old PS1 game like No One Can Stop Mr. Domino come back (An example of a not as good PS1 game, that could be ported, if no rule existed).  

However, I do feel that Saturn ports and games that have NOT seen a stateside release, should be excepted.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 10:53:04 PM »

I'd like to ask: HAVE you played No One Can Stop Mr. Domino? Because it sounds like it's actually a pretty good game.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 12:52:34 AM »

I'm very curious as to if Sony's plans to release PS1 games via the download/emulation method has anything to do with their stance on games being ported to the PSP.  Could it be that their eliminating potential competition before they release their own ports of PS1 games?

Either way, to stay on topic I love the screens of this game.  I do hope we have a chance of seeing a NA release for this game, SCEA port rules or not.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 12:58:30 AM »

Quote from: "Amankhan"
Either way, to stay on topic I love the screens of this game.  I do hope we have a chance of seeing a NA release for this game, SCEA port rules or not.

If anyone's a hurdle, it's going to be Namco, or possibly Nintendo. I say having the /entire game/ voice acted definitely is a substanial enough upgrade to warrant OKing - it has to be, since the movies for VP were enough. As for Nintendo... Exclusivity deals and the like. Given it seems Nintendo had to go through the trouble of publishing the game themselves, and ToS was kept exclusive, I can believe it.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 03:48:45 AM »

Quote from: "Mana Knight"
I think that the reason SCEA does this is that many U.S. publishers will port old PS1 games to PSP, trying to make a quick profit off of an old game, without trying to add anything new.  There might be some good games mixed in, but at the same time, there will probably be a lot of bad games mixed in.  A good percentage of the PSP games on the shelves, would probably be PS1 ports; therefore, possibly hurting the sales of other games, because there's too much to choose from.  PSP already gets a lot of heat for ports, and having a ton of PS1 ports floating around (like Japan) might give it even more heat.  Although having Suikoden I & II and others might be nice, but I may not want to see an old PS1 game like No One Can Stop Mr. Domino come back (An example of a not as good PS1 game, that could be ported, if no rule existed).  
However, I do feel that Saturn ports and games that have NOT seen a stateside release, should be excepted.

I understand why they came up with this rule, the problem is, it is hurting them in the US. I mean seriously, if you look at the situation in Japan, there aren't that many PlayStation ports on PlayStation Portable. You have Tokimemo Forever with You (OK, that's a dating sim), Suikoden I and II, Popolocrois, Tales of Eternia, Valkyrie Profile and Breath of Fire III, that's about it. Given the number of RPGs available and announced for the system in Japan, that is not a lot. If the port/remake situation really bothered them so much, they should have tried to stop Saturn or PlayStation 2 games from being remade, because that is what many Japanese third party publishers have been doing. And that again would not be a good idea from a business point of view (not to mention that the asset sharing between PS2 and PSP games is a way to reduce the comparatively high production costs of PlayStation Portable games).

Again, my guess is that Sony Computer Entertainment aims to use a part of the PlayStation's massive library of games to push its announced pay-per-download system for PlayStation Portable.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 10:02:38 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I'd like to ask: HAVE you played No One Can Stop Mr. Domino? Because it sounds like it's actually a pretty good game.
Yes, I played a demo to the game, that came with my OPM.  I didn't like the game one bit, and so did others I know.  Well, I was trying to think of a game that probably shouldn't get remade, and that was the first thing to come to mind.
Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Again, my guess is that Sony Computer Entertainment aims to use a part of the PlayStation's massive library of games to push its announced pay-per-download system for PlayStation Portable.
I remember hearing their goal was to make every PS1 game downloadable (although I doubt it, since not every PS1 game will work on PSP), so I'm thinking that may be the case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: