Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318971 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Phantasia (PSP) Screens
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Phantasia (PSP) Screens  (Read 7389 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 11:04:51 AM »

Whoa, dude. Paragraphs are your friends. Please don't hurt their feelings by not using them.

And yes, I'm sure you're absolutely right. Everyone here loves Sony and hates Nintendo.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 11:55:57 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Quote from: "Dice"
Loosk nice, looks like theyre trying to wash away the damage done by the GBA one.. =P

Plus Dice, is there any way you could have put more hatred into that post?

Woah, my post was THAT hate-filled?!?!  Holy lord, thank goodness I didn't put any cussing in there to emphasize my point.

All I'm trying to say is, yeah it was cool to get it; but it didn't have all the benefits that the PS1 version had (which, if I can add, I own so the difference in quality between the PS1 and GBA version are only that much more apparent to me).  The thing that annoyed me about the GBA version was that it, to me, felt like it was a step back.
Please don't smash my one-sentance post of my opinion into a paragraph of video game history.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 12:24:50 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Loosk nice, looks like theyre trying to wash away the damage done by the GBA one.. =P

Plus Dice, is there any way you could have put more hatred into that post?

Woah, my post was THAT hate-filled?!?!  Holy lord, thank goodness I didn't put any cussing in there to emphasize my point.

All I'm trying to say is, yeah it was cool to get it; but it didn't have all the benefits that the PS1 version had (which, if I can add, I own so the difference in quality between the PS1 and GBA version are only that much more apparent to me).  The thing that annoyed me about the GBA version was that it, to me, felt like it was a step back.
Please don't smash my one-sentance post of my opinion into a paragraph of video game history.

Umm, sorry about that, but it did seem like everyone was getting at the gba one. Clearly I just took your post far too literally. Right, this is another topic i'm going to stop commenting on, as this seems to be what happens when it comes to talking about whether Sony remakes are better than Nintendo ones. I personally think that the PSP one won't be much better than the gba one, as the graphics don't look that different. But of course people will say it's much better because it's on the PSP rather than the inferior gba. Now if only I could have said those two sentences rather than criticising a one-sentence post and moaning about how everyone hates Nintendo. I think I'll run away now, before everyone kills me like the overreacting n00b i am...

Plus yeah you do have a point about the videogame history paragraph thing. Sorry...
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 12:36:05 PM »

Just to inform you, the PSP one WILL undoubtedly be better than the GBA one. The reasoning for this is because the GBA version is a train wreck port of the SNES version with a lot of flaws, faulty gameplay design, and weird as hell menu organization. The PSP version will be a port of the PlayStation version which has better animated graphcis, full voice acting, and most importantly, a completely revamped battle system with better control and spell timing - I believe that in the PS version, spells don't freeze everything like they did in the GBA version. That made the already choppy gameplay even worse.

You can find my take on the game here.

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 01:10:53 PM »

Ok yeah, you may be right *grumbles because he doesn't have a PSP and doesnt want one*. But I was really talking about how it looks, because it's not that much different. And Suzu being an optional character is taken from the gba remake, so it does seem rather like it, but better in every other way probably. But it's just another remake of a game we've probably all played by now. Does it matter that much...?
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 02:10:10 PM »

out of curiosity is it true ToP takes place after ToS? or are they in seperate universes?

i recently saw gameplay footage of tales of the world 3. major wtf moment seeing ToS characters with like Farah and stuff.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 02:22:06 PM »

ZGM, the game may 'look' the same, but the sprites are much MUCH cleaner and animate much better, too. It's like watching an 80s cartoon and a recently made one. The difference is very noticeable once you see it in motion. Suzu being playable was actually the GBA version copping it from the PlayStation version, too. As an aside, your hate on for Sony isn't much differrent from what you're accusing the rest of this board of (Nintendo hating).

Alisha, yes, ToP takes place in ToS' distant future. Namco has said as such in a past interview.

Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 02:29:21 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
out of curiosity is it true ToP takes place after ToS? or are they in seperate universes?

i recently saw gameplay footage of tales of the world 3. major wtf moment seeing ToS characters with like Farah and stuff.

Yes, it takes place over 4000 years after ToS.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 05:15:27 PM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"

....wow, has the planet not moved along AT ALL in terms of technology?  Both games look practically the same in architectural standards. =P

Ah well, as everyone else has said, this will probably be THE Tales of Phantasia port to anticipate.... though it doens't seem like it'll make it over here...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"

....wow, has the planet not moved along AT ALL in terms of technology?  Both games look practically the same in architectural standards. =P

Ah well, as everyone else has said, this will probably be THE Tales of Phantasia port to anticipate.... though it doens't seem like it'll make it over here...

Why didn't the Tales of Eternia  port make it over?  Were the sales bad or did SCEA's 2D restriction rule kick in?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 05:43:39 PM »

Exactly because it was a port without any new content. Sony Computer Entertainment America however is apparently obsessed with a certain rule that demands 30% new content in any given game (hence Atlus' Princess Crown, Devil Summoner or Konami's Suikoden I and II have not been released in the US. They are all ports or remakes with a few minor changes of Saturn or PlayStation games. The stupidity is the rule becomes obvious, when you consider that the original Saturn versions of Princess Crown or Devil Summoner were never released in the US anyways). Neither Sony Computer Entertainment Japan nor Sony Computer Entertainment Europe have such a rule, though, hence why Tales of Eternia was released in Europe. By the way, the game's sales in Japan were reasonable for a first generation PlayStation Portable game. It sold about 100,000 copies. If Namco had not been happy with those sales figures, they probably would not bring three more Tales games to the platform and support it the way they do now.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 06:09:22 PM »

What a waste honestly.  I would have owned a PSP simply for Devil Summoner (there was an interview a while back were the Atlus US expressed interest in bringing it over but they couldn't).  How did Valkyrie Profile make it over?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 06:18:18 PM »

Apparantly, about 15 minutes of new movies instantly equals 30% new content. Outside of raw storage space, I really don't see why that flies, but hey. Admittedly, Devil Summoner and Princess Crown haven't even fixed their aspect ratios, and I think Logick mentioned that it may be excessively hard anyway to translate those games, further killing them.

Either SCEA is trying to 'protect the customer' to set themselves apart from Nintendo, who let several SNES ports come out that barely changed anything, or they're doing this because of their PSX download service. Nevertheless, ports of /Saturn/ games and collections should at least be excluded.

As for ToP: Uhh, yeah. This isn't some system bias crap - if anything, it's the anti-Sony sentiment that seems more widespread around here - it's just preferring whichever is the better version. I also tend to prefer getting the GC version of GC/PS2 games, and likewise prefer (or at least DID prefer) getting the XBox version over either of those. However, with the X360's flaky backwards compatibility, I'm more inclined to pick up GC or PS2 version. It helps though that the GBA port is, for reasons Leyviur listed, apparantly one of the worst ports made. I haven't really touched it though, so I can't fairly comment. Just that the original SNES version /did/ play kinda poorly (tri-Ace's fault here), and we haven't officially seen it released in the US until the GBA version came out, so Europeans are about as lucky as we were in actuality.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »

I suppose your right...  Though, like I said...

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/shin_megami_tensei_devil_summoner/devil_summoner_interview.php
(It's near the bottom)

It did seem like Atlus US had interested in bringing it over... I also don't think anyone who would actually buy Devil Summoner would care about something like the aspect ratio.[/url]
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 04:27:18 AM »

Atlus USA is not Square Enix, though. Sony Computer Entertainment America apparently makes exceptions to this rule from time to time. Valkyrie Profile being a big title and Square Enix's support being important to them was probably a reason why they have fewer trouble to get games OKed by Sony Computer Entertainment America than a smaller outfit like Atlus USA. If it was me, I would ditch the entire rule anyways.

Eusis: If you can bring Devil Summoner Kuzu no Ha Raidou and Shin Megami Tensei 3 to American PlayStation 2s then I suppose translating the first Devil Summoner game (or rather its port) should not be a big deal either (the actual question is whether it would be profitabe). Besides, Atlus actually implemented a lot of worthwile fixes in to Devil Summoner for PlayStation Portable.

Also: Whoever said everybody loves Sony and hates Nintendo around here, sorry, but for better or worse the exact opposite is the case.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: