Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:55:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335185 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is this an RPG or not?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Is this an RPG or not?  (Read 2793 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

The one thing I've never understood here is why Okami was never covered. It's the same genre as Zelda, but it actually has more RPG elements in that you're given more ways to influence your character's development. I can understand say, Darksiders being excluded (it's heavily influenced by Zelda but more action-orientated) but not Okami.

Ditto. From what I saw, it was a bit of a arbitrary decision. Two of us posted Okami topics around the same time, but someone else posted in Miscellaneous Games first... so that's where it went. It's far more an RPG than Zelda, more an RPG than Secret of Mana, and completely, 100% appeals to the RPG crowd. That said, noone really cares... they love the game, and it gets talked about a lot here. Can't wait for Okamiden!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »

Modern RPG?
- Playing as a specific character without any powers of omniscience or omnipotence (well... unless you so happen to play a god).

Simple as that.

Yes, every eroge is now an RPG.
Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »

I think nowadays that games attributes are all over the place, it's more reasonable to use a fuzzy logic approach for categorizing genres. I can't speak for cookie cutter molds, but since the definitions of things are almost solely based on their acceptance of the mass at the time, here're my 2 cents of what personally comes to mind when I think of RPGs:

-Story-oriented
-Having maps/settings that you can actually walk around in, as opposed to static images
-Has more dialogues than most if not all other genres
-Battle/leveling/equipment systems
-Character-based

To me, the label of "adventure game" seems to immediately spawn the profile of Myst and Tomb Raider. So personally, I tend to categorize games that're dialogue/story-heavy in walkable map settings without battles as more of a "non-battle RPG" than "adventure game", despite missing one of the typical elements.

I think everyone's core definition of the genres is just highly affected by their personal experiences such as the first game they played of that genre, what they liked about it, etc. So when it gets into that mixed-up fuzzy logic scenario, people have different top priority attributes when trying to weight them to be placed in a recognizable yes/no basket.

P.S. Canadian here as well.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »

P.S. Canadian here as well.

Ha, our forums need a Like option. Good thing YouTube has one. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »

Old ultima games were turned based up through seven, it's just that the really early ones faked real-timeness with really shitty auto-turn advancement (or maybe not and it just looks that way on modern, faster PCs. They STILL had turns auto-advancing, though. But were still turn based. Does that make sense?)

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »

what about the various musou warriors games by koei?

Those are action games with RPG elements.

leveling up gaining stats and new attacks are merely elements huh?

Zelda 2 is an rpg.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: