Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331954 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  KH2: Is Sora a racist or discriminater? dun dun dun duuuuun.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: KH2: Is Sora a racist or discriminater? dun dun dun duuuuun.  (Read 5826 times)
player assassin
Banninated

Playerassassin@a
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:10:58 AM »

when i was 13 i saw the commercial of kingdom hearts(the first one) and when i saw this, i thought, "wow u can actually go to your favorite disney places thats awsome." i was the first kid at my school to get it, thats how desperate i was. When i grew older and played KH2(iam 17 now) i noticed how mean sora was to the bad guys. yes,you may think sora was justified in what he was doing and the way he act towards the nobodies,but can you honestly tell me if you lost your heart or soul,or whatever, you woudnt want it back? and then sora talks about the nobodies shouldnt excist, what i think hes saying(in my own opinion for the player haters like me or just plain hate me) is the world is black and white and thats it.THATS IT. O.K. lets slow down, every morning when i walk outsidei see a black guy, alote,(live in the ghetto) and i see a white guy, but only one,(there rare around where i live) now i also see a mexican, i think they could be the grays of this black and white world, almost like the nobodies. what a tick iam a nobody. main thing: so answer me this, is sora a racist towards the nobodies because hes the white, in his black and white world, or does he discriminate the nobodies for a different reason?

hit me back on your comments or opinions.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:22:50 AM »

No.

God no, to this whole thing.

Are you out of your mind?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:31:45 AM »

I've not thoroughly read your post, but... Are you implying black, mexicans, etc want to attain whiteness, just as the nobodies and heartless want... Uhhh, their hearts and bodies back respectively?
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:35:30 AM »

Seems like the point, so maybe he is saying white people are the superior race?

That's racist in itself~
player assassin
Banninated

Playerassassin@a
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:43:33 AM »

look all iam trying to say is, that why cant sora and these nobodies live in peace. i mean come on, roxas had hes soul(or heart) after a while they can train the other nobodies to be like roxas, not saying its easy as 12or3 iam saying it sounded like sora hated there guts. even rikku(sigh) sided with sora, out of everbody in the game he be the last to talk about being an outcast.

sorry if your still confused.hit me back.

Thought: man i sound geeky, i dont even sound cholo anymore.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:16:03 AM »

Quote from: "player assassin"
iam

Won't find that word in a dictionary.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:18:37 AM »

What you sound is insane.

Game plot notwithstanding (IIRCC the Nobodies went around and turned more people inte heartless, just so Organization XIII could get their hearts back. Or some crap like that), it's just a freakin' game. There's no racism. There are no allusions to race. IT'S A GAME FOR GOD'S SAKE. Sora beats up Nobodies because that's what the game is about. Didn't we have enough of this OMG VIDEO GAMEHS ARE TEH RACIST crap with LocoRoco and the PSP ads?
player assassin
Banninated

Playerassassin@a
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 03:41:06 AM »

when you play, lets say Grand Theft Auto, theres alote of racist things in there, alote more than a saturday night club. But this is games something kids play like my younger brothers and sisters and yes as a mexican family it is big. It may not seem like much but it teaches him to hate people that a indeferent i mean come on sora i thought he was better than that.

hit me back.

Thought: if these people are older than 20 they need a life. Ooops!
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:52:48 AM »

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 03:52:58 AM »

Stuff like that is typical for a game - I still need to play through and beat KH2, but it seems more like just following typical game cliches more than anything else.

Ah, so now you show that you descriminate against adults playing video games, despite the fact /many/ that are over 20 are playing video games, and most have a life anyway. Yet you are arguing about non-existant racism in a video game.

Have you been here before?
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 03:54:27 AM »

hit me back.

I want to hit you with a fucking sledge hammer in the fucking face.

I hope a woman with a venerial disease fucks you and makes your dick rot off.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 04:05:04 AM »

If by "these people" you mean the people posting on this thread, you're a huge hypocrite. Age doesn't matter, friend. If you think people posting on threads "need a life," then go get one and leave us alone. I don't have any insecurity with myself or the amount of time I spent on a computer, so back off rockstar.

I'd say "I'm sorry" that others on this thread aren't giving a serious response to your posed theory/question, but I'm not sorry, because 1) no one's quite sure what it is you're trying to say, and 2) this isn't about race.

when you play, lets say Grand Theft Auto, theres alote of racist things in there.

Yeah, that's in there for humor. Race-related humor, albeit offensive to many, can be found in all kinds of venues. You said you're Mexican? Go watch Comedy Central's Mind of Mencia. The guy's entire basis for jokes relies on ethnic stereotypes (and maybe a few gay jokes). I'm not justifying GTA (I for one hate the series), but I'm just saying that all because you hear or see something "racist" in a game, that doesn't mean the creators of said game want you to take it literally. That's why it's humor...it's not meant to make a REAL point about REAL life.

It may not seem like much but it teaches him to hate people that a indeferent

I'll start by proofreading this quote to what I think it's supposed to say:

It (that is, Kingdom Hearts and my vaguely-stated contention with said title) may not seem like much {to those of you on this message board}, but {I think} it teaches him to hate people that {are different}.

Assuming that's what you were trying to say, let me start by disagreeing. Kingdom Hearts (and every action/adventure/RPG title on the market) does NOT teach your brother to hate people that are different *just because* they're different. Sora fights heartless and nobodies because 1) hello! They struck first, they're attacking innocent people!, 2) the "heartless" are by definition depraved of a heart, so they're a bit like zombies (zombies aren't a race or ethnicity, they're a fictional category of undead humans who, if they really existed, ought to be stopped from their dastardly ways), 3) nobodies, according to the game, have lost their identity.

****SPOILER ALERT****

Code:
If you finished the game, you know that Roxas is Sora's Nobody. At the end, Roxas joins back into Sora to become whole again. Namine also joins with Kairi for the same reason. This shows that not *all* Nobodies are bad. The bad ones are the ones working with Organization XIII in a plot to essentially destroy the world as they knew it.

Also, for what it's worth, KH2 allowed previous villains (the truly-revealed Ansem, Maleficent) to be redeemed this time around. They do noble deeds and aren't as truly "evil" as you had thought them to be the first time around. They just made some dumb/selfish decisions, and (for those that continue to live) will probably keep making them.

****SPOILER ALERT END****

If you're asserting that the color symbolism is trying to make a point: the Nobodies are white (well light gray, off-white) and the Heartless are black. Both are bad guys. So what's your point? If Sora is a racist, of what *race* is he a supremacist? Spikey-haired tan pre-teens? You tell me.

So yeah, anyway, the game, interpreted correctly, does NOT teach people to hate others for being different. It teaches people to stand up and fight when evil, chaos, mayhem, and injustice is being done. You may protest that Sora did not have just cause to seek out and fight Organization XIII, but if you really want to debate that, I suggest you take it to a real-life forum and talk about the War in Iraq (certainly a more suspicious situation than Sora's). Tetsuya Nomura and whoever else was involved in the plot/scenario for KH2 are definitely well-meaning individuals who are attempting to tell a story that, while using Disney characters for nostalgia, is epic and scope and traditional in social morals and ethics.

Really, whatever argument you're trying to pose could be transposed to any situation with good guys and bad guys. Use Lord of the Rings if you want. Weren't they RACIST against those orcs and goblins? Yeah, but in REAL LIFE, orcs and goblins don't exist. No human ethnic group is hell-bent on destroying all the others (at least, none that I know of...and Islamic radicals are not an ethnic group, they're a very small political-religious cult).

If you're worried that your siblings will adopt violent behaviors based on the gameplay of Kingdom Hearts, then you probably shouldn't let them play it (and be a role model: you yourself don't play it either). Otherwise, if your siblings seem to be discriminating against others for stupid reasons like the shade of another person's skin or a difference in language, or height, etc...just explain to them that such discrimination is ignorant. If they were to use Kingdom Hearts as their defense (which I doubt they would do), just refer to my previous arguments.

There, you got a real response. I "hit you back." Now you should probably go away before you get flamed to hell and back by less gentle members of our board.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 04:10:41 AM »

Ramza: Any reason you didn't use the spoiler tag, or just forgot? :P
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 04:12:49 AM »

I was thinking of making a rude comment and saying "our new board poster might not know to highlight the black area, so I didn't use the spoiler tag"...but in all honesty, I totally just forgot. Post has been edited! ^^

Ramza

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 04:37:39 AM »

This thread is gold, despite being full of nonsense by the thread author. I laughed.

Anyhow, dude....like people have said, it's just a standard RPG plot. You can break down many other things like that and come to the conclusion that it is racist or discriminatory. Again, this is why racism and discrimination won't ever go away, as people feel the need to relate them to anything, because of their paranoia.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: