Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319736 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Lonely Internet People - Unite!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Lonely Internet People - Unite!!!  (Read 4605 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:30 AM »

Maybe it's just me not giving others a chance either - but I find it hard to find interesting people as well.  Too much of the same old - people are almost predictable at times fitting into the archetypes the match.

Pretty much this. I'm the type of guy who like talk to people that I find interesting or fun, and is pretty hard to find someone like that nowadays.

But eh, I just have 19 yet. I have plenty of time to meet interesting people... and all the people I've had a good relationship in the past is either studying really hard to enter college, working or something along those lines, that means no time for fun and I bet a lot of those people already forgot about me anyway, but I wish them the best.

Me? I'm trying to find a job and most importantly entering in a Institute to study the career I want to do next year (hopefully). Right now, I'm waiting for the big exam in my country (Chile) is called the "PSU" not like Phantasy Star Universe more like "Prueba de Selección Universitaria" (translation: University Selection Test).

I heard that this series of exams are between easy and a nightmare. I'm not nervious since I have options for my future if I have bad luck in the exams (I'm terrible studying nowadays, my mind is fuzzy and I can't concentrate in reading something if I'm not in the mood or interested in the topic at hand).

So yeah, I'm pretty busy trying to reach my goals now. Thank god that video games exits to forget about my life for a while... the Internet? Well, is almost the same as with video games really "a fun way to waste time". Friends? I don't know, I'm not shy or anything like that but I lose interest in people really fast if I'm not interested in them.

I'm not really alone, which is pretty good. And I enjoy having my space to do my things also (that's something that some friends might not give you sometime).

...and well, I guess that's that.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 04:35:24 AM »

I just like the green and gold color scheme...

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 08:56:46 AM »

SOundtrack for this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnvZ6Dqv7Ws

I approve of this nonsense!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »

Why are there never any M&M's around when you need some. Or better yet, Minstrels.

Dare I suggest mint M&Ms? Christmas brings about the best chocolate, honestly. :P

Mmmm, mint chocolate is heavenly. I dunno if Christmas brings around the best chocolate, but it certainly brings around the cheapest.

Selection boxes ~~~~~~

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »

Say what you will about the internet and how it may or may not just be a substitute for actual human interaction, but I met one of my favorite people in the world through my computer screen so it worked just fine for me. :P

I will say that I've definitely met more cunts/jackasses/dicks online than I ever would have walking around somewhere.  I suppose that's a negative. :P

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »

The initial post doesn't really describe me. In middle school, I was actually one of the "popular kids" or whatever, but I just got sick of dealing with the drama and how mean-spirited some of those people were, so I just stopped talking to anyone for about a year. Then I entered high school and began meeting people. I'm still in touch with the majority of friends I made to this day, though I haven't lived around them for three years.

I guess I exist somewhere in the middle. I meet people easily enough and make acquanitences, but lasting friendship is something I'm more selective about. If I can't just sit around and chat with a person one on one, chances are we won't ever be really good friends.

Also, I use the internet for information. While I'll chat on facebook occasionally, more often than not I'm using it find shows, readings, and places to go. I come to RPGFan because there isn't a better place for JRPGs on the net, and I come to the forums because the community reflects that. Other than that, I maintain a blog about the about the zine I publish and check my email infrequently.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »

I'm "lonely" but I'm generally okay with it.
I rarely had any desire to make friends irl until recently because most people I met were assholes.
I mostly joined rpgfan to look at news on forums and stuff.
and because I wanted to talk about games with people
I live in a neighborhood populated mostly by assholes or "old people"

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »

Why are there never any M&M's around when you need some. Or better yet, Minstrels.

Dare I suggest mint M&Ms? Christmas brings about the best chocolate, honestly. :P

Mmmm, mint chocolate is heavenly. I dunno if Christmas brings around the best chocolate, but it certainly brings around the cheapest.

Selection boxes ~~~~~~

Everyone looks at me weird for *loving* mint chocolate.  It's probably oen of few ice cream flavours that leave you with a good breath!

I gotta add as well - I'm not lonely either.  Sometimes I have my days, but hell, I think we all do sometimes.  Much like insertnamehere, I'm pretty happy in general.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »

Another soundtrack song for this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs

(I gave my legit response, now I offer silly ones. )

I approve of this nonsense!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 12:25:48 PM »

I've never been one to have many friends. I was extremely introverted in high school, and only had a few pseudo friends then. In college I opened up a bit, and hung out with a great group of people. Since then, there has been a severe drop off in friendships, let alone time for such things.
I work full time, am married, and have a kid to take care of, so I wouldn't have time for friends even if I had any. I get plenty of social interaction with my fellow co-workers (a few I would consider actual friends) that I have no interest(or need) for further interaction with people beyond that.

I am not a lonely person. I am content in my lack of friends. Heck, all the things I love to do are solitary activities. My #1 hobby(lifestyle) is gardening. Then there's the gaming, reading, and watching of movies, all best done alone, IMHO.
I barely have time to do these things, let alone go gallivanting around with "friends".
The internet has certainly allowed me to talk to people that I ordinarily would not be able to. Through message boards like this, FB, and whatnot, I am able to "talk" to like-minded people on  a daily basis.
Plus, like DC, I am a slow thinker, and like having time to get my thoughts together. In person(or on the phone), I feel pressured, and things just never seem to come out right.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »

Selection boxes ~~~~~~

Everyone looks at me weird for *loving* mint chocolate.  It's probably oen of few ice cream flavours that leave you with a good breath!

I don't get what's so weird about mint chocolate. It's amazing! :) Christmas just seems to bring around more of it.

Oh yes, I love assorted boxes. Bit of everything, though I tend to get sick of chocolate by early January.

My favorite not-cheap quality brand is Lindt/Lindor. Godiva is great, but more pricey.

Back to the topic at hand... I'm typically not lonely. I've always had an easy time meeting people in person, but I just moved (2.5 months ago) and my social life has been quiet. Which is fine, I've got a lot of work to do - which is probably why I haven't really met anyone yet - and people will come. As a result, I've been here more. You can meet great people either way. Like DR, a few of my really good friends are here.

Perfect. I love it.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »

Mmm...I'm not technically lonely.  I have a decent amount of good friends (alot have dropped off in recent years, gettin' old sucks), but few friends who share some of my more uncommon interests, of which I have many.  I have only one friend that's into RPGs, but we don't get to hang much anymore.  I like posting here because there's a ton of people who actually care about/know what I'm talking about.  I'm myself when I hang with people I actually know, but I don't really get to completely be myself.  Hardly any of my friends care about RPGs, 50's Rockabilly and Rhythm and Blues, programming, samurai movies, old school games, anime, yadda yadda yadda.

So, it's cool to "talk" to some people about stuff that no one I know cares about.  At the same time it's not as comfortable as if we were all hangin' out havin' drinks somewhere.  I've seen people on other message boards go from really cool, to insulting the hell out of you.  Loyalty, if you can call it that, is kinda rare in internet land.  I always have a creeping suspicion that forum posters will turn on me at any second lol.    
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »

Another soundtrack song for this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh_9QhRzJEs

(I gave my legit response, now I offer silly ones.)

A totally valid response to most replies in this thread: I understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsheKpRIk1I

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »

Internet. A kind and cruel mistress.

Just had to take an online survey for a job.

They can take these questions and suck em

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

About the topic:

I enjoy face to face and internet haps about equally. In fact, a lot of my good friends I've met from previous forums (White Sox).

I use internet for more escapism stuff. I take this place a bit more seriously then other forums where I'd just post animated gifs, be obnoxious, and act the general fool.

I'm pretty similar online/real lyfe though. But in general it's easier to open up to people online. In person it's hard to be given the 2nd chance I think.

If we had a big RPGfan party and I showed up drunk, telling off color jokes I'd probably not win anyone over. If I posted drunk and something lewd it'd probably be deleted or forgotten.

I love the internet.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: