Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 09:19:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle  (Read 1720 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »

Not sure if the link will work or not as it came from my NISA newsletter via email. It goes to the press release.

http://nisamerica.com/images/email/PB_PressRelease101116_PB.pdf

So...yeah...they're porting Phantom Brave again. Granted it'll be nice to have it on PSP I wonder how they're going to try and justify people buying it after they've already got the PS2 or Wii version (or both). I didn't see anything in the release that mentioned any new content, although with that strange new subtitle they've added I imagine there is probably at least something new.

So what do you all think about NIS pushing out this title again? Honestly if it's so darn popular that it requires three releases across three platforms why don't they just make Phantom Brave 2 already? XD This is starting to feel like NIS's equivalent to "Star Wars".

Edit: Strike what I said about nothing new, I somehow missed the line that says "This is the Wii version with additional character cameos."
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:44 PM »

Thank G-d I never bought the Wii version. Granted, I'd still like to get the Wii version, just so I can have something on it to play, but I do prefer portable games.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »

NISA loved burning money, huh?

Bad enough we got 14 Disgaea ports, but at least it was a good game.

Phantom Brave was... kinda weird.  It didn't really stand out anyways.  It had a story that doesn't go further than "cute", and a battle system that's a ridiculous pain in the ass at times.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »

I didn't think the battle system was too bad. Now the Title system on the other hand...*shudders*
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »

I think I could get to like Phantom Brave. The music especially.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »

I loved Phantom Brave and beat it when it was released on the PS2. The downside is that it's too freaking hard! Your phantoms have a limited number of turns so even grindind for levels takes way more time than it normally does for Disgaea, for example.

As much as I loved it, I wouldn't play it again. I needed cheats to beat it for the first time and back then I would rarely use cheats (Action Replay and the like) in a game. Well, but if it has a discount price on the PSP it could be fun.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »

Heh, PB actually has an interesting "exploit" that makes it too easy IMO. All you have to do is some minor dungeon farming (or get really lucky in the weapon shop) and find a Dark Knife (I think that's what it's called) and give it to Marona. As long as you properly maintain the thing with upgrades (and fuse it with something to give her healing magic) when necessary she and Ash can pretty much duo every primary stage in the game.

With a high-end title (not even one of the "Highest" titles) she can solo at average levels.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »

I wish I knew this back then...
I should take this as a lesson for Nippon Ichi games, as they all require some sort of farming (the SRPG ones)

I remember in Disgaea 1 a stage that every square had an invincibility trait, with just one normal. The cheat was to combine monster to get them high leveled and then throw 'em to this spot and kill them for major experience.

ALUCARDfromHELLSING

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »

I wish they released La Pucelle for PSp instead. I never played PB and I don't really want to. Disgaea was good game, but not good enough for me to buy Disgaea 2.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »

Phantom Brave is really interesting because levels are pointless.  You don't grind levels in high level Phantom Brave.  The items are what make the games great, and if you plan on doing end-game content you'll be grinding your items rather than levels.  It's not like Disgaea's item world, either.

That and the music is beautiful.  I'd say it's far and away Tenpei Sato's best work.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

I wish they released La Pucelle for PSp instead. I never played PB and I don't really want to.

They did in Japan, but I suppose that's not being brought over. I guess it's more of a pain to get the localization from Mastiff than it is for the Atlus released games, since it doesn't seem like La Pucelle's inherently more risky than Phantom Brave. Possibly less given that it'd be the second release rather than the third.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:15 PM »

I liked Phantom Brave better then La Pucelle, Disgaea, or Makai Kingdom. Wish NISA did more on thr DS.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
ALUCARDfromHELLSING

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »

^So Phantom Brave isn't anything like Disgaea or Makai?
They did in Japan, but I suppose that's not being brought over. I guess it's more of a pain to get the localization from Mastiff than it is for the Atlus released games, since it doesn't seem like La Pucelle's inherently more risky than Phantom Brave. Possibly less given that it'd be the second release rather than the third.
Yeah, I know, but I wish they released it in USA or in Europe. Maybe religion stuff in the game is also one of the reasons why they don't want to release outside of Japan? I know that both USA & European versions are censored. I read somewhere that NISA has no plans releasing it for psp outside of Japan. That's quite sad.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »

I also wish we could have gotten La Pucelle psp instead of this or we meet again, depending on if it'll get remade again or not. :(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:56:35 PM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: