I watched Summer Wars not too long ago. I didn't like it.
Mainly because I noticed it was nothing short of a direct rip-off of the 2000 released Digimon: Our War Game down to the very core.
I kid you not either.
- creatures called Digimon live in the DigiWorld where whatever gets done. Let me add, the creative team decided an "orange
" line art for these segments.
- Avatars live on the Oz network to get whatever done, buy, research, play, fight, etc. Let me add, the creative team decided an "orange
" line art for these segments (1 min in).
- Takes place during down time (might be summer, I forgot).
- Takes place during summer time!
- Uh oh, some little punk (named Wallace) let's out his "virus" Digimon and he's causing havoc on the net, even effecting appliances and setting off a nuclear missle to wear our heroes are so they stop interfering!
- Uh oh, our main hero solves some mystery math code that sets a "virus" AI to cause havoc on Oz, in turn effecting the net and the way shit's done... oh, and send a satellite to collide with a nearby nuclear power plant...guess where!
- Our heroes send their Digimon to pokemon-style fight the fucking virus, but to no avail... he's too tough!
- Our heroes try to stop the AI by sending avatars to fight the fucker, but to no avail... he's too tough!
- We gotta stall the guy, he moves too fast! Let's route all email to the virus and slow him down! Success! Two digimon japan-fuse into a stronger being and take down virus, sending the warhead into water
- Ooookay, it's a BIT different here. We gotta stall the guy, he like's games, so let our lead lady challenge him to Koi-Koi (a card game) to outsmart the AI while our hero tries to hack the GPS controlling the satellites collision course! Success! She out smarts him long enough, and japan-grows angel wings for her avatar.
Day is saved!
Digimon gets another part to the story, and Summer Wars gets the Hollywood wrap-up (with the leading lady).
Oh, one thing Summer Wars had to prolong it was some family drama - which, IMO, fit poorly with this digital stuff. I put this up as a rant, I was really upset to see this up as a potential Oscar grabber (though, LOLZ, American films take it 9/10 times) when it's a clear rip off.
Credit to Summer War's Oz system is it looks awesome I guess.
I don't really care if this gets responses. I just had to say it.