Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:45:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330104 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Summer Wars VS. Digimon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Summer Wars VS. Digimon  (Read 8983 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:57:55 AM »

I watched Summer Wars not too long ago.  I didn't like it.
Mainly because I noticed it was nothing short of a direct rip-off of the 2000 released Digimon: Our War Game down to the very core.

I kid you not either.

Allow me.

Digimon:
- creatures called Digimon live in the DigiWorld where whatever gets done.  Let me add, the creative team decided an "orange" line art for these segments.

Summer Wars:
- Avatars live on the Oz network to get whatever done, buy, research, play, fight, etc.  Let me add, the creative team decided an "orange" line art for these segments (1 min in).

Digimon:
- Takes place during down time (might be summer, I forgot).

Summer Wars:
- Takes place during summer time!

Digimon:
- Uh oh, some little punk (named Wallace) let's out his "virus" Digimon and he's causing havoc on the net, even effecting appliances and setting off a nuclear missle to wear our heroes are so they stop interfering!

Summer Wars:
- Uh oh, our main hero solves some mystery math code that sets a "virus" AI to cause havoc on Oz, in turn effecting the net and the way shit's done... oh, and send a satellite to collide with a nearby nuclear power plant...guess where!

Digimon:
- Our heroes send their Digimon to pokemon-style fight the fucking virus, but to no avail... he's too tough!

Summer Wars:
- Our heroes try to stop the AI by sending avatars to fight the fucker, but to no avail... he's too tough!

Digimon:
- We gotta stall the guy, he moves too fast!  Let's route all email to the virus and slow him down!  Success!  Two digimon japan-fuse into a stronger being and take down virus, sending the warhead into water

Summer Wars:
- Ooookay, it's a BIT different here.  We gotta stall the guy, he like's games, so let our lead lady challenge him to Koi-Koi (a card game) to outsmart the AI while our hero tries to hack the GPS controlling the satellites collision course!  Success!  She out smarts him long enough, and japan-grows angel wings for her avatar.

Digimon Summer:
Day is saved!

Digimon gets another part to the story, and Summer Wars gets the Hollywood wrap-up (with the leading lady).
Oh, one thing Summer Wars had to prolong it was some family drama - which, IMO, fit poorly with this digital stuff.  I put this up as a rant, I was really upset to see this up as a potential Oscar grabber (though, LOLZ, American films take it 9/10 times) when it's a clear rip off.

Credit to Summer War's Oz system is it looks awesome I guess.

I don't really care if this gets responses.  I just had to say it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:59:32 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »

I'm not reading anything beyond the first few lines, but I wanted to drop the Director's Wikipedia page here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:54:32 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »

I don't get it.  Why rip on your own movie?  I didn't think ideas were that hard to come up with.  I'd get it better if it was an actual rip-off; but to take such a similar idea.... does he have Alzheimers?!

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »

Maybe he wanted to get people who wouldn't watch a Digimon movie? Have to admit it works for me, though I'll probably just rent it off Netflix when it comes out.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

Maybe he wanted to get people who wouldn't watch a Digimon movie? Have to admit it works for me, though I'll probably just rent it off Netflix when it comes out.

I personally didn't like it.  Even aside the Digimon plot line, as I mentioned before, there is a whole bunch of "family plot" that I personally found didn't fit in well to the techy aspect of the story. =/
But, hey, I'd love a counter arguement better than "It was awesome!"

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »

I liked that Digimon movie.

Omnimon was the shit.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »

Dioboromon was freaaaaky.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

I never watched anything related to digimon. I watched summer wars recently and enjoyed it, didn't know it's a ripoff.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:26:44 PM »

I never watched anything related to digimon. I watched summer wars recently and enjoyed it, didn't know it's a ripoff.

I'm the opposite of that, since i haven't seen Summer Wars but I liked (the first half of) Digimon.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »

Season 1 of Digimon was awesome. Anything after that was "wut?"

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 01:03:03 AM »

I just finished watching 20 minutes of Summer Wars so I can go to bed soon.
I like it so far.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »

I thought you were crazy at first until I read your whole post. Man that is weird. I might have to see Summer Wars now, I loved Digimon: The Movie.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:27:06 AM »

I thought you were crazy at first until I read your whole post. Man that is weird. I might have to see Summer Wars now, I loved Digimon: The Movie.

I'd have probably thought the same if I didn't look up the guy's credentials after watching The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Instead I just went to verify if it was one of his movies.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:41:57 AM »

Ah, he did "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"? I loved that film! I should watch Summer Wars...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: