Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 01:37:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335315 Posts in 13729 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Deathly Hallows
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Deathly Hallows  (Read 8619 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »

Any fellow Potter nerds here?

I was a big fan of the books but for my money the only good movies were the first 3 with the 3rd being the best. After that they took out way too much material. And in the last movie I feel they tried to overplay the teenage hormone angle too much.

I realize that the books were huge but I feel the last couple movies could've been handled better. Half Blood Prince was my favorite book because of all the questing and level grinding HP and AB had to do, digging up Voldemort's past.

that being said I'm glad they split this movie up to fit everything in. I'm just worried about pacing here.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »

Reviews I've seen so far have been pretty sub-par where pacing IS an issue I hate to say.
I've enjoyed the movies, having not read the books haha

3rd was the best, I love Alfonso ever since I was a kid (coincidentally).
(I found Goblet of Fire the worst, personally)

I'd like to see this one, gotta wrap things up, and can't wait to see how they do it. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »

Yes, I am a huge, huge Potter nerd. And I am totally looking forward to Deathly Hallows.

I came to terms with them leaving out a lot of content a few films back, so I know what to expect. Even though they have split the last book in two parts, it still won't be enough because of the amount of content simply not added in from previous books.

Example, the first part of the books takes place at Bill and Fleurs wedding, but we have never met Bill in the films, and we haven't seen Fleur since Goblet of Fire. Which will be pretty confusing.

In the end, I can't criticize them too harshly because they couldn't possibly know what was going to be important in later books, I think JK Rowling was just purposely fucking with them.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

I totally forgot they never showed bill in the movies.

Who did they have wrangle the dragons in Goblet then?

The worst victim of the whole thing was Sirius. He was an awesome character in the books but was almost nonexistent in the movies. Even thought they had most of his big moments in there it just seemed anticlimactic. And Gary Oldman as a casting choice? Fucking fantastic.

Luna is my sweetheart.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »

I don't usually get excited about the HP movies but my friends are pretty hyped about this... and that's contagious.

Don't have high expectations. I enjoyed the third and the sixth movies more than the others. Sure, it felt rushed compared to the books, but I'm with Starmongoose. There was a lot of info in the books and they were still being written when the films were being made.

Will be going to see it with some friends this Friday. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:40:12 PM »

I spilled sangria all over my slytherin tie on halloween :(
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »

I enjoyed the books quite a bit, although the last one had some serious issues.
I've had few problems with the movies up until the last one. They omitted crucial(IMO) parts of the book that really brought it down for me. I liked the movie just fine until the last half hour or so.
Deathly Hallows I am excited for, but I'm keeping it in check after HBP. Let alone the fact that we aren't even getting the whole deal yet.
This will be the first Potter movie that my son will get to see in the theater. He's 9 now, and I figure that's old enough. We'll go see it in a few weeks.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »

Sadly, the movies are too slow. I've finished the books long ago and lost pretty much all my interest in seeing the rest of the movies.

Luna is my sweetheart.

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/167/original/luna_lovegood_epic_thread.jpg

(image was too huge for forum)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:11:40 PM by Annubis » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »

Well, tough titties for you guys.

She marries Rolf Scamander ;)

(Why do I know this?)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »

I loved the books, the last one was my favorite along with goblet of fire, so I have high expectations for this movie. My favorite movie is azkaban, Alfonso is a genius. I think GoF was great too. I was a bit disappointed with HBP, the source material for DH is fantastic though, I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »

Well, tough titties for you guys.

She marries Rolf Scamander ;)

(Why do I know this?)

Actually I feel good knowing this, I had thought I had a crush on some 16 year old actress for a bit
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »

That reminds me, I'd love to get a semi-resonable set of all the HP books (price-wise). Preferably hardcover. I've been meaning to read them for YEARS but never have and I've only seen a few of the films, which I've really enjoyed.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »

You can apparently get it for about $50, used, on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Harry-Potter-Books-Book/dp/B003KVOMV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290045388&sr=8-2

Speaking of the books, I've had such a hankering to re-read them recently but my copies are all overseas. I wish Rowling would just allow digital publishing rights. It's a pain, having to drag those books around.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »

That reminds me, I'd love to get a semi-resonable set of all the HP books (price-wise). Preferably hardcover. I've been meaning to read them for YEARS but never have and I've only seen a few of the films, which I've really enjoyed.

I hope you like them. They are all page turners and they really pick up starting at the 3rd book. From then on there's some excellent history and detail in their little world.

The series as a whole probably doesn't get enough respect for how imaginative it is despite it's popularity because every time you hear of it it's "zomg harry potter! gryffindor!"

Out of all the long series of books I've read so far (Dark Tower, LOTR..and some others i can't remember right now) it's probably the one that ended the best.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 03:13:54 AM »

Wow, there's lots of bundles actually. Some paperback ones are real cheap, but I think Harry Potter really deserves hardcover treatment. :)

But yeah, from the movies I can tell it's quite a fascinating world... reading the books will only add to that.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: