Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Sigma Star Saga - is it any good?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sigma Star Saga - is it any good?  (Read 2177 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:03:57 PM »

As the topic says. I noticed that Videogamesplus (where I buy pretty much all my games) is selling the aforementioned game for just CAD$19.99. I know it's some crazy RPG/Shooter hybrid, but that's pretty much ALL I know about it. So, I'm asking you, honored RPGFans, if the game is worth 20 canadian bucks. What's your opinion?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »

Have you played a game called Guardian Legend when you were young? It's apparantly supposed to play like that, and I was fond of it back in the day. Also probably worth looking at if you like giving unknown and unique titles a shot. Plus some around here (Neal, Tony) are fans of the game, so you know everyone doesn't hate it or something.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/sigmastarsaga/index.html

Here's my review of Sigma Star Saga.  I trust you read it?  Keep in mind that of all the press reviews out there, mine was the most favorable for the game.  I love WayForward, Shantae was awesome, and I dug SSS.  

There are many aspects about the game that WILL try your patience.  

Though the gameplay is generally fun and easy to pick up, there are flaws. One flaw is with saving. The game uses a save point system, and sometimes save points can be scarce, though the good thing about them is that they heal you. Given that this game is on a handheld system and games on handhelds should be convenient for gaming on the go, a quick save feature that allows you to save any time you want would have been welcome. Another common complaint is that the random encounter rate is too high, and that there is no way to escape from battles. An escape option would have been nice for those times when you're low on health, desperately seeking a save point, and the land monsters aren't dropping health packs. Health packs during the boss stages would have been nice, especially since they run long and it's often very easy to make mistakes. Crashing into walls takes away a huge chunk of health. The game also has frequent fetch quests and a couple of timed sections, which I know can be showstoppers for many RPGers. In addition, random battles can sometimes get repetitive, but that's par for the course in any RPG.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:36:02 AM »

Yeah, I did read your review. I just like second opinions ;) Think I will give it a try. CAD$19.99 is pretty cheap, so even I hate it it won't be a huge loss.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:51:24 AM »

I may buy it someday, but man...there are too many games releasing this fall, and the Wii. (I'm not buying a PS3 at launch) This will have to wait.

Sigma Star Saga reminds me of Blaster Master - at least certain aspects of the game. Perhaps, because of the fact that there are multiple forms of gameplay, that I compare Sigma Star Saga to Blaster Master.
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »

I purchased and played it when it came out, and enjoyed it.  I'm not sure what to comment about as it was pretty much as advertised... a space-themed RPG with random shooter battles instead of random turn based battles.  It's short game length and cheap price tag definately make it worth a try.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 02:37:03 AM »

I liked what I was able to play of it, but everytime I picked up a gin data the game would lock up in the subscreen and I couldn't get out of it.  Maybe it was just a problem with the cartridge itself (I was playing a used copy, after all), but that did get annoying after a while.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
SSS
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 09:42:18 AM »

I played through a little bit of it and I enjoyed it. I kinda got distracted and put it down though. It definitly is a novel concept, and if its that cheap you may want to go for it.

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: