Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319720 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is JRPG...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Is JRPG...  (Read 2851 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »

QUESTION.  Do I like their JRPGs...?

Nintendo DS:

7th Dragon (2009)
Luminous Arc (2007)
Luminous Arc 2 (2008)
Luminous Arc 3 (2009)
Sands of Destruction (2008)

PlayStation Portable:

Last Ranker (2010)
Fate/Extra (2010)
Criminal Girls (2010)

Wii:

Arc Rise Fantasia (2009)
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 02:08:31 PM »

QUESTION.  Do I like their JRPGs...?

Nintendo DS:

7th Dragon (2009)
Luminous Arc (2007)
Luminous Arc 2 (2008)
Luminous Arc 3 (2009)
Sands of Destruction (2008)

PlayStation Portable:

Last Ranker (2010)
Fate/Extra (2010)
Criminal Girls (2010)

Wii:

Arc Rise Fantasia (2009)
Not promising at all, I kinda like Last Ranker despite fetch quests structure, on the other hand Fate/Extra was shameless Persona clone with rock/paper/scissors combat mechanic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:11:52 PM by Alan_01987 » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »

I wonder if it'll be a "retro" game like a few particular game like Cladun or Half-minute hero.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »

I wonder if it'll be a "retro" game like a few particular game like Cladun or Half-minute hero.

That would be nice. Also, I liked most of Imageepoch's games, so I'll be sure to check out those games they intend to publish.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »

I just play what I find fun - if it's a grind-fest or just plain dull I'll usually put it down after trying to get into it.

I won't play through a JRPG or WRPG just for the sake of it - play what's fun, don't tie yourself down to one thing.
Smartest thing I've seen posted in a while!

So what exactly is this ad about? From the voice acting it seems like it may be another RPG maker trailer or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw_34U6Myos
So awesome.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »

Criminal Girls

That tells you all you need to know. Fuck these guys.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »

I thought 7th Dragon was by the Etrian Odyssey director?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 12:55:48 AM »

I thought 7th Dragon was by the Etrian Odyssey director?

He was working on it, yes, but he didn't make it by himself. Imageepoch was the core developer.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 02:14:55 AM »

Gah, I am getting sick of these 'retro' 8-bit style games.  It was cute at first but now everyone is doing it.  I guess they all realized that making pseudo 8-bit art is actually a lot cheaper.  But nostalgia can only hold my attention for so long and nobody does a serious story that way.  (I'm not saying they can't, just that they don't.  That's an interesting question, though.  Would you play a completely serious game with pseudo 8-bit graphics?)

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 02:19:55 AM »

Gah, I am getting sick of these 'retro' 8-bit style games.  It was cute at first but now everyone is doing it.  I guess they all realized that making pseudo 8-bit art is actually a lot cheaper.

I was starting to think that I was the only one who was thinking these 8-bit 'throwback' games were becoming one too many.

It's fun at first, sure, but how many times can you use this concept?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:23:04 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 02:20:50 AM »

I want a "throw back" to mid ps2 level graphics so games can be made in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable budget again.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »

I want a "throw back" to mid ps2 level graphics so games can be made in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable budget again.

I hear developers are pretty scared to make world maps (they're effing huge)... I thought Vesperia pulled it off well.  I don't understand what's so hard - I'm surprised the market is so "dried up".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »

Gah, I am getting sick of these 'retro' 8-bit style games.  It was cute at first but now everyone is doing it.  I guess they all realized that making pseudo 8-bit art is actually a lot cheaper.

I was starting to think that I was the only one who was thinking these 8-bit 'throwback' games were becoming one too many.

It's fun at first, sure, but how many times can you use this concept?

If we're just talking about RPGs here, I haven't seen that many 8-bit throwbacks, just the RPG section of Half-Minute Hero, Guadia Quest in Retro Game Challenge, Breath of Death VII (a console indie game), and ClaDun (which the style didn't actually work for the game, IMO). Other than that I can't think of too many others.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »

I actually really don't like these 8 bit throw backs...  they feel like too much of an excuse to create some cute than make anything of great quality or even much depth.  Credit to them when they're good, but they're not my style.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »

If we're just talking about RPGs here, I haven't seen that many 8-bit throwbacks, just the RPG section of Half-Minute Hero, Guadia Quest in Retro Game Challenge, Breath of Death VII (a console indie game), and ClaDun (which the style didn't actually work for the game, IMO). Other than that I can't think of too many others.

You could argue that 4 Heroes of Light is another example, while it doesn't have 8-bit or 16-bit styled sprites it has the feel of an 8-bit game and a similar design, even if it comes closer to DQ than FF. Which is something I'd generally prefer to see, though I love how Half Minute Hero's design kind of doubles as a sign of how it's simplifying and condensing the gameplay to the essentials to create a lightning fast arcade-like experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: