Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 06:57:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329224 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is JRPG...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Is JRPG...  (Read 2928 times)
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »

I think new retro 8-16 bit games are an awesome idea.  Then again, I'm gettin' old, so it's more of a nostalgia thing.  The 8-16 bit throwback idea is actually responsible for getting me interested in programming.  I really wanted to learn how to make games, and the old school style is more approachable, from a beginners' perspective.  Outside of Megaman 9 + 10, I didn't really know it was becoming a big thing until recently.  

Now, how these new retro RPGs actually are.  That's a different story.  Half Minute Hero didn't seem like a fun concept to me, I don't have access to Breath of Death, and I haven't tried ClaDun yet (dead PSP battery).  It could very well be that the concept is better than the actual execution of it.  Still, I really like the idea and the art style.  I think it would be really interesting to do new things with 8 bit 2d graphics that weren't possible back in the day.  This is a pretty good example, it's a fan made 2.5D Megaman 2 remake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiwQtSx6zHw
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »

I have no problem with old-school games and Old-school style games. The onlything I want to see done away with in JRPGs are frequent random battles. Fighting a battle after taking a single step is as irritating as it gets.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »

I have no problem with old-school games and Old-school style games. The onlything I want to see done away with in JRPGs are frequent random battles. Fighting a battle after taking a single step is as irritating as it gets.

especially in dungeons with puzzles.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »

especially in dungeons with puzzles.

Yeah, no kidding.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »

I had a glass coffee table, then I got into one of those situations you just mentioned, you know, stupid, long, cakewalk random encounters while trying to finish a puzzle that involved lots of walking around.

Do not throw a controller at a glass coffee table...

I don't even remember what game it was. I was pretty young and it was a psone title by squaresoft. I do, however, remember how much that damn table cost since my parents made me pay for it.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »

I finally know what JRPG is
hint: it isn't unnecessary or old-fashioned

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »