Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 08:19:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329320 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Linear and simple RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Linear and simple RPGs  (Read 2142 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »

The PSP has plenty of What he's looking for: Hexyz Force, Brave Story, Crimson Gem Saga, Star Ocean (Kind of. It's not turn-based, but I thought it wasn't that complex), Breath of Fire III if you import, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »

oh yeah FF13
that one is supposedly "linear and simple" to most people

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »

oh yeah FF13

I'm afraid he already has it and doesn't care for it much. There were some parts that were too complicated for him, and Chapter 11 wasn't very fun (I loved CH.11, personally, but I know my brother hated it. It was Chapter 12 and 13 that stopped me cold).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:36:37 PM »

oh yeah FF13

I'm afraid he already has it and doesn't care for it much. There were some parts that were too complicated for him, and Chapter 11 wasn't very fun (I loved CH.11, personally, but I know my brother hated it. It was Chapter 12 and 13 that stopped me cold).

I was gonna say it too...then I remembered the redundant weapon-building system the game had

Last Ranker is the spiritual successor to BoF...

Now I'm listening. *wag tail*

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 03:16:59 AM »

So was Megaman X: Command Mission.

@OP: If you don't mind older games then pretty much the entire FF series will do. You may just want to stick to FFs IV, X, and XIII though as they are the most linear and simple. FFs V & VI would be the worst though since they kinda open up at the end and they have yet to appear on any current system. VII opens up just a little bit during the latter half but its hardly noticeable and its really easy, VIII is so straight that it will bottleneck you at the end but it does require some thinking in playing the card game, and both are available from the PSN. I'd avoid IX since there are minigames all over the place. Name a system, and you'll like find a port of FFI which is damn linear and easy as piss (except for the NES and Origins versions which still retain much of the NES hard difficulty). You're millage may vary with II & III as they're still not current generation level of easy that FFI is yet. And finally there's FFXII and my suggestion of that is to not bother as its anything but linear or simple.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 07:05:57 AM »

Popolocrois (PSP). Sure, it didn't get any great reviews, but that's mostly because it's fairly old-fashioned and not particularly challenging. It's perfect for someone who isn't looking for something innovative and edgy and just wants a simple and fun RPG to play.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »

So was Megaman X: Command Mission.

I thought that was a Blatant Final Fantasy X rip-off with Mega Man characters inserted? That's the impression I got from playing it, at least. Not like its a bad thing, it just didn't really remind me much of BoF.

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:50 AM »

I agree with the people who said Grandia II, Riviera, and Hexyz Force.  Grandia II is by far the most linear, as you really can't change ANYTHING story related in any way and there are barely any side quests or choices of any kind.  At least Rivera and Hezyz Force have different endings you can get.  I like Rivera the best but it's not as simple as Grandia or Hexyz, mostly just because it plays a lot less traditionally than those 2 games. 
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 08:34:54 AM »

I thought that was a Blatant Final Fantasy X rip-off with Mega Man characters inserted? That's the impression I got from playing it, at least. Not like its a bad thing, it just didn't really remind me much of BoF.

It was, but it was made by the Breath of Fire development team.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:27 AM »

Imagine what BoF V would've been like without all of that moldbreaking and uniqueness and then imagine it with a MMX veneer (i.e. substitute furries with animal themed robots and transformations with hyper mode).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »

Popolocrois (PSP). Sure, it didn't get any great reviews, but that's mostly because it's fairly old-fashioned and not particularly challenging. It's perfect for someone who isn't looking for something innovative and edgy and just wants a simple and fun RPG to play.

I LOVED PoPoLoCrois. Hehe.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 07:14:33 AM »

It's a cute, sweet little game, an interactive fairytale. I really liked the little Forest Witch, Narcia. Usually I'm not too fond of RPG heroines, but that final cutscene almost made me cry ;_;
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »

Costume Quest is fun little RPG available on XBL and PSN. It's cute, easy, simple, fairly linear, has some great dialogue, but it's also pretty short. If nothing else it's a fun distraction for a few hours.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: