Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:13:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What will bring RPGs back?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What will bring RPGs back?  (Read 6343 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »

The genre is in serious trouble right now, IMO.
I stole a competitors list of upcoming titles...

11.29     Golden Sun: Dark Dawn       
Dec        Cthulhu Saves the World       
Dec        Epic Dungeon       
12.07     World of Warcraft: Cataclysm          
Dec        Aphelion: Episode Two – Wings of Omega       
01.04     Two Worlds II       
01.14     Kingdom Hearts Re:coded       
01.25     Lord of Arcana       
Feb        Darkspore

Um, yikes?  Two World I was crap, KH:Re is an enhanced remake, GS:Darn Dawn (I hear) offers little beyond what the initial titles did.
At least there's some WRPGs, but the big-title (ie; next gens) are completely missing.

What's gone wrong, do you think?
Or, of course, am I completely wrong?
Are we in a drought, or will there be another boom (because they finally have ideas, or because they get working again).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:39:32 PM »

I don't know about you guys but I'm really looking forward to 2011. Ar Tonelico III, Record of Agarest War Zero and possibly 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Atelier Totori, Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP. I'm excited. I'm probably missing a few too.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

Yeah for the holiday season that looks pretty weak.

Is the next big ass next gen game dragon age 2? That's a while down the road.

The only game I'm actually interested on that list is dark dawn. Cthulhu would be interesting I guess if they work the whole mythos in there. I don't play WoW. And most of the others I have no idea what they are.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »

The first Two Worlds was crap, yes, but I'm seeing a lot of praise for the sequel, looks to be like Dark Cloud 2 in that the first game is a piece of crap while the second one is an outright Great game.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »

Better RPGs will bring back RPGs. I don't think they are going anywhere, but quality RPGs are definitely rare.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

Part of it is still the economy.  Something tried and true will sell more units than something new or risky.  Even new IPs are jumping on the retro trend because people still want an escape back into the good ol' days when everything was right with the world.  Even the majority of original indie games continue to still color inside the lines.  

Even if you look at movies, a lot of movies have been remakes of classic flicks (i.e. Clash of the Titans, Karate Kid, the Rob Zombie Halloween).  Not a lot that's new or innovative.  Oh how about how that dumbass shit parody Vampires Suck made more box office money than Scott Pilgrim.  What does that say?  

I think nowadays, it's more about hooks and gimmicks than the real meat and potatoes.  I think that's why Idea Factory is still doing so well.  Even though their games are mediocre at best, they continue to lure people with their hooks and gimmicks.  And maybe some smaller scale game with no hooks/gimmicks but really good writing fell sadly under the radar in comparison.  

EDIT: I think in general gaming's in a bit of a slump.  The bestsellers are installments of preestablished series like Call of Duty.  Since people have less disposable income on luxury pleasures, they'd rather spend on what they know to be a sure thing.  Thus, I think the one thing that will revitalize gaming is overall improvement in the economy. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:06:11 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »

Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex 3 and The Witcher 2 are all out in spring, and I'll almost certainly be getting all three. I'm relieved for the sake my bank balance that there isn't much on the horizon between now and then.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »

Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex 3 and The Witcher 2 are all out in spring, and I'll almost certainly be getting all three. I'm relieved for the sake my bank balance that there isn't much on the horizon between now and then.
Pretty much this. Sucks that I need to buy a new PC to purchase this stuff though. Honestly though, Dincrest is right. I can't be spending all my money on every RPG that comes out just because it is a RPG. Nowadays, I find myself buying games I know will give me bang for my buck. It's funny how most of those games end up being Indie or 20$ games, but I ain't complaining!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/two-worlds-ii

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »

That list is missing a few games. I'm not interested in anything else this year, but in 2011 I'm hoping to get Lord of Arcana, 3rd Birthday, Mass Effect 2 PS3, maybe Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and definitely Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

A lot of other stuff looks great, like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I have a lot of time constraints.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »

Tactics Ogre and Persona 2 are day-one purchases for me, and I already have a few DS and PSP games on reserve for Christmas. Dues Ex 3 also looks good, but I've yet to finish the first two. Dragon Age 2 also requires that I get Dragon Age 1: Ultimate Edition, first, and that's assuming my computer can run it.

Otherwise, I'm too busy playing catch-up right now. RPGs can take a break for a while, just so I can get the ones I missed and finished the ones I started. These games are long, you know.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:23:39 AM »

Tactics Ogre and Persona 2 are day-one purchases for me, and I already have a few DS and PSP games on reserve for Christmas. Dues Ex 3 also looks good, but I've yet to finish the first two. Dragon Age 2 also requires that I get Dragon Age 1: Ultimate Edition, first, and that's assuming my computer can run it.

Otherwise, I'm too busy playing catch-up right now. RPGs can take a break for a while, just so I can get the ones I missed and finished the ones I started. These games are long, you know.
Dragon Age Origins is optimized pretty well, so you may be able to run it even on a oldish PC. My two year old laptop runs it well on mostly high settings, minus shadows and that other crap like Anti Aliasing.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »

I've been thinking of trying DA:O on the PS3 but it's not a high priority. It looks great though... hopefully half as good as it seems to be on a PC. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 01:01:54 AM »

Dragon Age Origins is optimized pretty well, so you may be able to run it even on a oldish PC. My two year old laptop runs it well on mostly high settings, minus shadows and that other crap like Anti Aliasing.

At the very least I've met the minimum requirements, but I still need a better processor and Graphics card if I intend to play it on anything higher than the lowest settings. Now my only fear left is that the free flash game on the Dragon Age website will turn out to be more fun than the main game.=P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:26:37 AM »

2011 is all about Project Dark, Deus Ex HR and FF Versus XIII.

Now there's an abundance of Euro RPGs and western ones in general. The real question is: "What will bring JRPGs back?".

All in all, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: