Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335180 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What will bring RPGs back?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What will bring RPGs back?  (Read 6442 times)
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 06:25:16 AM »

The real question is: "What will bring JRPGs back?".
There just aren't as many. Hopefully this will change soon. :(

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »

Considering how much the mechanics of rpgs are being implemented in every type of game nowadays, I really don't see rpgs "coming back". I'm not sure I even care if they do. The last "rpg" I played was Mass Effect 2, and that can barely even be called one. Doesn't matter to me, as it was amazing, and the perfect example of the evolution of rpgs. I really don't have time or patience for "old style" rpgs anymore.
I have absolutely zero interest in anything on that list Dice put up. I'm sure I'll pick up Dragon Age 2 in the spring, but besides that I can't think of any other rpg I'm interested in. This is fine by me, as there are all sorts of games that I need to catch up on. I have yet to play Uncharted 2, Nier, Darksiders, etc.
I would like to pick up a psp so I can play the three Ys games, but that's not likely to happen.
Now back to Lords of Shadow, which I am enjoying more than any rpg in recent memory.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:47:34 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »

Yeah, in terms of new games coming out, there are none I'm interested in. Then again, I'm pretty limited, as I only have a DS. Still, there's plenty of stuff for me to dig through. I just picked up Dragon Quest IX and am having a blast. Next, I think I'll grab Chrono Trigger for it. Beyond that? Probably another DQ game or maybe something fast like Rhapsody or Magical Starsign.

I'm not sure we'll see any sort of rebirth of what I consider to be the Golden Age for this Genre (1992-2005). As others have pointed out, a lot of games have begun to borrow from the genre, but almost nothing is made that fits the bill of what we would call an RPG in the strictest sense. Honestly, this comes down to technology. Modern games are far less limited than they were 10 years ago, and anything that isn't fast-paced and full of action is likely to only have a niche appeal. How many people would rather select "attack" off a menu than just press a button?

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »

Didn't we just have a bunch of games come out?  I know I've bought like 3-4 RPG's in the past few months, and that's more than I can even play in that amount of time.  You're looking at a fairly small span of time and complaining that the genre doesn't have many releases, when if you expand the time frame even a little the number of releases more than doubles.

RPG's aren't in any more of a slump then they've been in for the last couple years.

Edit:

looks to be like Dark Cloud 2 in that the first game is a piece of crap while the second one is an outright Great game.

Huh?  The first Dark Cloud was AWESOME.  I actually liked the dungeon-exploring elements a lot better then the ones in the second game, and the town-building was simpler and more easy to fool around with.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:29:29 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »

There were actually a ton of good PSP RPGs released in the last few months.  I can't even keep up with them.  Complaining that there isn't much coming out between now and the end of the year seems kind of silly to me.

2011 is actually looking totally overwhelming.  So many great games coming, and though they're not all RPGs quite a few are.  A list of things I'm anticipating:

RPGs:
Mass Effect 2 PS3 (Haven't played it yet so I'll definitely pick this up)
Tactics Ogre PSP
Dragon Age 2
Ar Tonelico 3 (or whatever they're calling it now)
Persona 2 IS PSP (Assuming it comes here)
Yakuza 4 (I don't care what you say, the Yakuza games are friggin RPGs)
Deus Ex Human Revolution

Non-RPG:
LittleBigPlanet 2
Portal 2
Team ICO Collection
(Maybe) Last Guardian
Okamiden

I don't know how you can look at a list like that and not find something you want to play.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »

I guess my problem with jRPGs these days is that either they take themselves way too seriously, or are just dumb goofball. These days it's either a plot-twisty-tragic-emo-drama, or wannabe-clever-mindless-farse. When I think back on the heart of jRPGs, I think Final Fantasy IX or Chrono Trigger. Games that took themselves seriously to an extent, but weren't afraid to play around and have fun with themselves. I think many jRPG developers are forced to decide which direction to take, and go overboard trying to be the absolulute architypical example of what they're doing. Developers need to branch out, play with differering ideas, and surprise us along the way.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »

Ar Tonelico 3 is what will bring back jRPGs for me. I just cannot see myself hating that game.
For wRPG, I have good expectations for The Witcher 2.

I'm still skeptical about Dragon Age 2 and Deus Ex 3 (who wouldn't after Invisible Wars)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »

what is the Ar Tonelico series all about? Is it just a vehicle for cutesy rpg-ness?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »

Didn't we just have a bunch of games come out?  I know I've bought like 3-4 RPG's in the past few months, and that's more than I can even play in that amount of time.  You're looking at a fairly small span of time and complaining that the genre doesn't have many releases, when if you expand the time frame even a little the number of releases more than doubles.

RPG's aren't in any more of a slump then they've been in for the last couple years.

Edit:

looks to be like Dark Cloud 2 in that the first game is a piece of crap while the second one is an outright Great game.

Huh?  The first Dark Cloud was AWESOME.  I actually liked the dungeon-exploring elements a lot better then the ones in the second game, and the town-building was simpler and more easy to fool around with.

Yeah, Dark Cloud 1 wasn't bad at all. And I also agree that plenty of RPGs have come out recently, and heck, that list the OP made features more games that I have the money or time to play. If this is a slump, I hope we don't get out of it, otherwise I'm gonna go broke.=P

And I wasn't aware Ar Tonelico 3 was being localized. Better add that to my list of reasons to get a PS3.=P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:57:47 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »

And I wasn't aware Ar Tonelico 3 was being localized. Better add that to my list of reasons to get a PS3.=P

It's being localized under the name Ar tonelico Qoga.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »

what is the Ar Tonelico series all about? Is it just a vehicle for cutesy rpg-ness?

Is about this.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »

Is about this.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »

Didn't we just have a bunch of games come out?  I know I've bought like 3-4 RPG's in the past few months, and that's more than I can even play in that amount of time.  You're looking at a fairly small span of time and complaining that the genre doesn't have many releases, when if you expand the time frame even a little the number of releases more than doubles.

Edit:

Huh?  The first Dark Cloud was AWESOME.  I actually liked the dungeon-exploring elements a lot better then the ones in the second game, and the town-building was simpler and more easy to fool around with.

Yeah, Dark Cloud 1 wasn't bad at all. And I also agree that plenty of RPGs have come out recently, and heck, that list the OP made features more games that I have the money or time to play. If this is a slump, I hope we don't get out of it, otherwise I'm gonna go broke.=P
I remember playing the first Dark Cloud and getting bored with it towards the middle of the game. I thought about playing the second one but I won't bother with it unless it's a mark improvement over the first.

There are so many reasons to get a Playstation 3 now. I'm happy I got it. :D

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L79AzmlQy8

Warning, NSFW
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L79AzmlQy8

Warning, NSFW
What is this Sailor Moon? Either way it was...interesting to say the least. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: