Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318980 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What will bring RPGs back?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What will bring RPGs back?  (Read 6045 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »

It takes all kinds I guess.

It's not my style, that's for sure.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »

It takes all kinds I guess.

It's not my style, that's for sure.
Nothing wrong with that. :)

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

what is the Ar Tonelico series all about? Is it just a vehicle for cutesy rpg-ness?

Is about this.
what is the Ar Tonelico series all about? Is it just a vehicle for cutesy rpg-ness?

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L79AzmlQy8

Warning, NSFW

WTF?! Some of you actually like this garbage? Enough to call this a reason to get a PS3? Wow. Just wow.

Then we have the list Kevadu posted. I am not interested in any of those except Dragon Age 2, and that only halfheartedly. The Last Guardian is still wait and see.
Like I said earlier, I'll just stick with my action/adventure games with rpg elements.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

I remember playing the first Dark Cloud and getting bored with it towards the middle of the game. I thought about playing the second one but I won't bother with it unless it's a mark improvement over the first.

I haven't played the first, but 2 is a really good game.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »

Is about this.

Warning, NSFW

WTF?! Some of you actually like this garbage? Enough to call this a reason to get a PS3? Wow. Just wow.
Well yeah. It's not like NISA is going to release any games on the XBox 360 any time soon. :(

Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »

I love people who hate Ar Tonelico because it dares to be sexy.
It's so easy to call a game garbage without ever touching the controller =/
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »

I'm a huge Ar Tonelico fan, but it has nothing to do with the innuendo.  It's pretty easy to find stuff in them to object to but if you think that's all there is then you're doing yourself a disservice.

I love the Ar Tonelico universe and mythology, the music is fantastic, the combat systems tend to be fun and at least reasonably original (though also kind of easy, unfortunately), and the games explore interesting aspects of human psychology that you rarely see in a video game (in between the boob jokes, anyway).  Yeah, you're going to need a certain amount of tolerance for fanservice stuff to get through them but they really are deep and interesting games and I read enough manga and watch enough anime that I'm pretty desensitized to that kind of stuff.

For reference, Ar Tonelico got 91% here and Ar Tonelico 2 got 81%, but I think a lot of that lower score was due to the now infamous localization issues and bugs it had more than the actual gameplay.  They're good games.

If they just got rid of the fanservice crap and turned up the difficulty a bit Ar Tonelico might actually be my favorite RPG series of all time.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »

I love people who hate Ar Tonelico because it dares to be sexy.

Sexy?
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »

Ar Tonelico 2 got 81%, but I think a lot of that lower score was due to the now infamous localization issues and bugs it had more than the actual gameplay.

Between the Raki bug, the horrendous typos and the plain WTF translations (hair -> ear)... it was an awesome game.

Just go on Youtube and listen to some of the music of AT3. It has the best vocals ever made. Simple as that.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »

Just go on Youtube and listen to some of the music of AT3. It has the best vocals ever made. Simple as that.

Nier might still take that title for me, but I do love the AT music.  I already have the AT3 hymnos albums.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »

Ar Tonelico, dare to be sexy? Seriously... what RPG DOESN'T try to be sexy? Ar Tonelico was just unapologetically middle-school-humor about it's sexuality. "Tee hee, it looks like he's touching her boob!"  "*snicker* he's 'diving' INTO her!". I mean, christ, can you get anymore junior-high without watching Justin Bieber? Seriously, Junior High is not something I'd like to remember. We were stupid, our jokes were stupid, how we approached the opposite sex was awkward and stupid. It was that terrible period after the end of innocence and before maturity. Most people hated it (myself included). Why would I want to relive those values FOR FUN?

If you still find that kind of middle school humor funny, titiltating, or charming after turning 16, then you've got a serious case of arrested development, because there's no other reason I can see for enjoying that. No, I sortof enjoyed Ar Tonelico for the battle system, but everything else about it was just awkward, and made me feel dumber for watching it. The dialog was terrible, the voice acting was terrible, the innuendo's were sophomoric and terrible, the plot was contrived and terrible. I guess the setting was pretty cool though, and the music was great. That's about all the praise I can really give it though. Haven't played the second, but from everything I've heard, it goes on to emphasize the things that I disliked about the first.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »

I guess I should play the first two before the third one comes out. Next year is going to be awesome for JRPGs. :D

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »

I agree with Prime Mover on everything he has said in his two posts. He pretty much said why I haven't played too many JRPGs in this generation also.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »

I just got Rune Factory 3, which is more than enough for me.

Also, I think the days of the holiday season being jam packed with awesome games - of any genre - are pretty much over.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »

Is about this.

Warning, NSFW

Well yeah. It's not like NISA is going to release any games on the XBox 360 any time soon. :(

Yeah, as sad as it is.:( Ar Tonelico Qoga, Atelier Rorona, Disgaea 3 and 4, and a few others probably won't come to the 360 any time soon.:( In fact, all of the JRPGs on the PS3 appeal to me outside of The Last Rebellion. I just really like JRPGs, especially if they're weird and obscure. The only reason I got a 360 was for the non-RPGs, and I still don't regret it in that respect.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: