Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330162 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Golden Sun Dark Dawn in 10 days (Now with possible spoilers)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Golden Sun Dark Dawn in 10 days (Now with possible spoilers)  (Read 7092 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:32:38 AM »

This comes out in 2 weeks, and I didn't see a topic on the first 4 pages about it. I deem this inexcusable and have thus created a topic.

Seriously, huge fan of the first 2, especially as gameboy advanced titles. Very well made, good music, solid story, and a very interesting premise with the whole psynergy thing. Not gonna get into specific descriptions but this one takes place a few years after the second one and follows the exploits of the original protagonists children. Very excited to see how it comes out, will be buying day one.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:33:27 PM by D. tnegA » Logged

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8064.0

If only you made it to page 5.

My comment: I will get it, it's just not a day one for me.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:16 AM »

Liked the first 2 for old school fun and was glad the game looked great but did not fall into the trap of slow game speed. The story was shit, and so was the premise, and you should feel bad for thinking it's good.

Seems like a very pedestrian sequel to me, but I'll play it. Not expecting anything bad or anything great, just some good comfort food old school JRPG. If game speed has not been kept the same heads will roll.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:29:55 AM »

Battle speed is the same.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 08:27:19 AM »

Do players stop attacking if the enemy they were targetting died?  I'm pretty sure many of my battles went on an extra turn (accumulating a ton of turns - this matters to me, life is short).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »

No, that's been fixed this time around. It didn't bother me before but it's a non-issue now.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »

I was going to pick up 999 after exams, but I completely forgot this was coming out..... :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »

This game intrigues me because of some of the puzzles and environment interaction. I'll wait for a sale, too much to play as of now.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »

I was going to pick up 999 after exams, but I completely forgot this was coming out..... :/

Admittedly I suspect 999 is going to need sales way more than Golden Sun, that at least has an established fanbase here unlike Chunsoft visual novels.

... Though I'll just ask for both for Christmas anyway.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »

I already bought 999, it's int he mail with my crummy pre-order watch.  :3

I'm also buying Golden Sun, though, because I actually liked those games.  The second one went on for longer then it was welcome though, so I hope they get the pacing better in this game.  Camelot is a pretty good dev all-around, though, so I have high hopes.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »

Liked the first 2 for old school fun and was glad the game looked great but did not fall into the trap of slow game speed. The story was shit, and so was the premise, and you should feel bad for thinking it's good.

Seems like a very pedestrian sequel to me, but I'll play it. Not expecting anything bad or anything great, just some good comfort food old school JRPG. If game speed has not been kept the same heads will roll.

You shut your filthy mouth you evil, repulsive, dastardly menace!

I will say this much about the fights. The lack of attacking when your targeted enemy dies is a bit annoying, but I liked it cuz it made me anticipate what I was doing better, setting up attacks much more efficiently and paying more attention to the fights. Not exactly a defense, but I liked that I couldn't just mash the A button when I was not paying attention.

TASTY!
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »

It feels so long since I played the first two I can hardly remember anything about their plots. I do remember battles, Djinn, summons, puzzles, and all that fun though and it is going to be one of the four games I'm planning to play during Christmas break.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »

I might as well repost this here:

I'm probably gonna give Golden Sun DS a try somewhere down the road (probably the same time I give Dragon Quest IX a try...in 2020), despite not liking the first. Ironically, the only things I disliked were the very beginning (which turned me off the story entirely, and when that happens, my interest rarely comes back. The only exception was with Final Fantasy IV, and I still can't explain that one. Probably because it was still sort of difficult and charming), and of course the utter lack of difficulty and very little need to grind. The encounter rate was also annoying and I didn't care for the puzzles either, but I could've gotten over it if there was a good reason for me to care. Seriously, all GSDS needs to do is up the difficulty and tell the story better, and I'll have no quams about playing it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

Aside from the not attacking the dead enemy you targeted, my only other pet peeve was a few rooms where puzzles had random encounters.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »

Aside from the not attacking the dead enemy you targeted, my only other pet peeve was a few rooms where puzzles had random encounters.

Yeah, I noticed a lot of people had a problem with that in Golden Sun. I never did, but I do remember being annoyed by similar occurrances in Tales of Symphonia.  Dunno why it didn't bother me in Golden Sun, maybe because the battles were over so quickly? Who knows.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: