Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327600 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Golden Sun Dark Dawn in 10 days (Now with possible spoilers)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Golden Sun Dark Dawn in 10 days (Now with possible spoilers)  (Read 6852 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2010, 03:08:04 AM »

Well again, I don't disagree with most of peoples complaints about things, cause many are justified, they just don't tend to be a problem for me, though I can see that they exist..if that makes any sense.  And someone has to play devil's advocate Dice..at least you do it respectfully and with a certain amount of tact ^_^

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 03:24:29 AM »

Don't get me wrong.  I enjoyed the game quite a bit.  It felt like Golden Sun, which is exactly what I was expecting out of it.  I just feel like people who are interested in getting the game should know of its problems. There's no point in pretending any game is perfect, even if you love it a lot.

I don't mean to sound like I'm "hating on" the game.

There is really only one thing I cannot stand in the game and it's a certain character who is trying to save his sister.  He just came off as selfish and obnoxious to me. 
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »

I don't know.  This game is weird.  There is really a lot to hate on (but hate is too strong a word), but the good, whatever it is, simply overrides it.

That's probably my final verdict on it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 07:57:07 AM »

I'm finally near the end and I must say I really enjoyed it. Like others it really DOES feel like the old Golden Sun games which was tremendous. The dungeons are designed really well and have plenty of variation. Although it is pretty damn easy (can't remember ever being below half health, let alone dying), I'd say the gameplay is exceptionally solid and definitely the strongest aspect of the game. I liked the graphics too, I reckon they did a pretty good job. Especially with some of the summons.

On the downside, the music is a little underwhelming. Not bad, just not as good as it could/should have been. The story (I haven't seen the end yet) is very slow and doesn't pick up until the last few hours. But I'd be lying if I said there weren't points I enjoyed, especially seeing/have references too characters from the first two games. My biggest disappointment was the characters. They are terrible.

Character Analysis (Later Names omitted to reduce spoilers):

Matthew - Typical silent character. Didn't particularly mind though because I expected it.
Tyrell - Worst character in the cast. Dumb, stupid, annoying and has zero redeeming factors. I'd also like to mention Garet has also become annoying.
Karis - She's okay, but not very interesting. Dull personality.
Rief - Right alongside Tyrell as the worst character. He is like ugly wallpaper. You barely notice him and, when you do, you wish he was someone else.

Second Water Adept: Best character in the cast. He's likeable, genuine and just a good guy.
Second Air Adept: Again, pretty dull. Like Karis she's okay, but nothing special. Big opportunities missed in her potential back story.
Second Fire Adept: He's not too bad. He's how Tyrell should have been, personality wise.
Second Earth Adept: Hard to judge because she's barely in it before the game ends. Her biggest issue is there is absolutely no logical reason why you'd replace Matthew for her in your main party--under the assumption you're using one adept from each type. Especially so late in the game.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:58:50 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:04 AM »

I personally barely noticed elemental weaknesses to really care who was in my party (but still stuck with it for all intensive purposes).  I'm sure my earth "Odyssey" attack still damaged any earth djinn with the near exact same damage as any other enemy.... and by then, attacking was generally stronger. 

Say what you will about Karis but I thought she was at least the best to look at, pulling off that neon green look.

This game isn't too hot, but I do love it for what it is, and the easy dungeons are still a lot of fun to play through (some of the later puzzles in WA3 had me scratching my head for a while, definitely a factor you don't want to deal with in a hand-held).

I liked the 2nd Water Adept, and yeah, I liked him a lot in part because he wasn't Rief (I wish his sister joined us instead - her story "finishes" in the stupidest way, hope we see her in [I guess?] the next game).

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »

Piers is a pedophile.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »

Piers is a pedophile.

Funny. I kept saying "Rief likes little boys" and since some of the dialogue like to run on I usually strung it into the form of a song.
"Rief likes liittle boys, tittle little boys la da dee doo doo" or what have you.
Or usually to the tune of Oingo Boingo's greatest hit "I love little girls" (thank you Danny Elfman, for yet another gem in your prestigious career!). I'd put a YouTube link but my communist iPhone will not allow it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:18:53 PM by Dice » Logged

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only Second Water Adept fan here!  He was far and away my favorite.

Also, in case anyone still has doubts
Code:
on who Amiti's father is, there is official confirmation that it is indeed, Alex. 
I thought it was incredibly obvious, but some people are stubborn and wouldn't believe it without confirmation.
http://twitpic.com/3foeq0
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:43:16 AM by Cyril » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

I'm surprised anyone needed confirmation from that, Cyril! I, like you, thought it was pretty obvious.

I knew who he was from the first moment I saw him and I'm sure it was the same for a lot of people. They didn't really try to hide it IMO.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Though obvious that doesn't mean you won't get 10 minutes of Buckley dialogue when it's time for the big 'reveal'.
Code:
In it Alex not only reveals his identity as Amiti's father, but explains [i]where baby's come from[/i].
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:51:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »

Though obvious that doesn't mean you won't get 10 minutes of Buckley dialogue when it's time for the big 'reveal'.
Code:
In it Alex not only reveals his identity as Amiti's father, but explains [i]where baby's come from[/i].

I actually didn't have it click unless I saw someone play it.  Then again, I barely played GS2 and I didn't finish GS1 - so I didn't have the same connection with all of ya.
Also - for the sake of enjoyment, my mind likes shutting out what I think and let the story do the telling. :D
Otherwise it became more obvious with that tree and when you actually see the guy.

I love this game as a throw back to old RPGs, I feel good playing it even if it isn't the most challenging.
The story loves getting itself "distracted" though....  First we were looking for a Roc feather, then we have it, it's not even used, then we have those black hole things, then we sort of forgot about them, then we're dealing the "world in peril" aspect, and collecting orbs and armor.

It's hard to find much attachment with the story when it is such a mess, and the characters (while they do have character) are fairly boring and have nothing relateable or even all too likeable about them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:00:27 AM by Eusis » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »

Code:

I know that for the most part Golden Sun's story isn't one to really care about, and that sounds like the predictable sort of twist to someone who even hasn't SEEN this character, but still, SPOILERS FOR A BARELY MONTH OLD GAME! Namely spoilers that WERE KEPT BEHIND A TAG IN THE POSTS YOU'RE RESPONDING TO!
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »

Yeah I would be avoiding this topic like the plague if I actually cared about the plot in Golden Sun DD.  It's so freaking bad that I don't care though.  

I've never played an RPG that that held my hand this much.  I feel like I've got an annoying babysitter that won't leave me alone.  I've only played the game a few hours so I hope this stops, but I'm not optimistic.  Also the encyclopedia thing (or whatever it's called) is the most obnoxious feature in the world.  Why do I have to click the name of the king's advisor to read that he is the king's advisor?  I can tell that by context.  It also seems silly that you click a name and all the sudden you know all this frivilous information the characters can't possibly know.  For example if a character named "jake" appears I can click his name and find out his favorite color is yellow.  It doesn't make any sense and it doesn't make the game more enjoyable in any way.  
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2011, 01:56:52 AM »

Also the encyclopedia thing (or whatever it's called) is the most obnoxious feature in the world.  Why do I have to click the name of the king's advisor to read that he is the king's advisor?  I can tell that by context.  It also seems silly that you click a name and all the sudden you know all this frivilous information the characters can't possibly know.  For example if a character named "jake" appears I can click his name and find out his favorite color is yellow.  It doesn't make any sense and it doesn't make the game more enjoyable in any way.  

I actually really liked this. It was a great refresher on many places and characters I couldn't really remember from the first two games. I suspect it would also help people who never played the first two. Sure, a lot of them weren't mind-bendingly useful, but I thought it was a fun little system. And, in fact, some of them were actually interesting.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2011, 03:11:55 AM »

It's like they realized how neat the idea of an in-game glossary was after playing Xenosaga, Mass Effect, and/or Final Fantasy XIII, then failed to realize those games had them BECAUSE they had a well developed (or at least highly convoluted) setting for them. Actually, the writing in general is saying a lot about nothing, as if they THINK they have an amazing story worth telling but only have about as much meat as, say, Phantasy Star II. Less actually, I half expect the characters in that game would've been far more interesting to develop than most any Golden Sun character.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: