Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 12:18:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332728 Posts in 13632 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV Journal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV Journal  (Read 21714 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »

Since the older general thread has deteriorated into ranting, raving and general tom foolery, I thought I'd start a new one. Since the previous Journal threads seem to be popular it might be nice to start one for FFXIV so people can see what milestones people hit and which content is reached and experienced. Please limit posts in this thread to things you've accomplished in-game and simple theorycrafting questions or helpful nuggets of information. If you feel the need to voice ire, sarcasm or nerd rage - please visit the other thread.

Arliman's Journal - Entry #1

It's been quite an up and down experience since the launch of the FFXIV service. I don't think I need to go into details as its well documented all over the web. The server population of Trabia has diminished but has seemed to have leveled out - not suprisingly the bulk of the playerbase is active in JPN prime-time. I do find it interesting of note that the Japanese this time around are alot more willing to communicate in English than they were in XI. Maybe the trimming of the server population has helped bridge the divide. There isn't much of a sense of JP-onry though I do see the rare post in search comments. Currently i'm linking up with a few other linkshells with active player populations since REUNION is on hiatus - hopefully only temporarily once the fixes and additions are in place. It's pretty nice to be able to follow several linkshell chats at once, though only being able to talk in one at a time without switching active shells is a pain. I gotta tell you though its great for organizing those SP parties.

Speaking of SP, I finally hit level 33 LNC on Wednesday and was really shocked at how fast the Fatigue tiers build once you hit active fatigue. It must have been less than 30 minutes per tier - though some folks were telling me that the Fatigue will reset itself automatically after the 5th or 6th tier, so people just press through it. To be honest the SP loss isn't really all that noticable... not at first. With SP gain on mobs being so sporadic and random its hard to tell what's the penalty and what's not. I've discovered that the SP cap for a grinding party is 500. Guildleves with Guardian's Favor is the only thing that is exempt from that cap - unfortunately getting SP in guildleves after you hit level 20 is pretty much an exercise in futility. So honestly, it's not much different that leveling in XI, only that you get better skill the more people that are in the party and the tighter the level gap. I gotta say having a full party of 15 players is pretty intense, but I do wish folks would pick on mobs other than Efts - but who am I kidding, XI shows how rooted people can be in one activity until someone finally manages to show them there are other ways lol.

So far I managed to finish the level 30 class quest for LNC and the level 30 Ul'dah misson and I wish I had the foresight to take pictures or video capture, because there were some really cool things going down. I really liked having the option of using Parley for diplomacy or just going in lance blazing. I'll have to ask some of my friends who took the route of violence if the cut scene ended up differently. I know of at least one mission where approaching the cutscene location from a different elevation resulted in a longer cutscene, which makes me hope that they add some kind of replay feature, or at least the option to switch nations.

Since i've hit 33 I'm able to do the level 40 guildleves and things are starting to get interesting. Finally some really classic monsters (Arhimans) and some boss-like encounters (the massive Dreamtoad) as well as area defense stuff. They really need to add the variety sooner rather than later. It felt like I was doing the level 20 leves for eons compared to the 30's. I've stuck to my crafting, though I find that I'm now leveling everything other than cooking and alchemy actively. Had to start botany and mining to fuel supply because like every MMO, its always a materials market. It's going along slowly, but consistently. I can't wait until the patch on Wednesday. Getting rid of the +1 and +2 items and 20 more bag and retainer slots will help a ton. Now if only they would hurry and add the delivery system and more retainers I'll be a happy crafter.

Anyway, I've saved the most exciting thing (at least for me) for last. I finally decided to spend a little of my gil stash and got my lance upgraded, my blackened scale mail restored and the rest of my plate updated. Which leaves me with a complete compliment of Rank 41-48 equipment. I was able to buy another lance on the cheap to continue leveling with and I still have my bronze cuirass set, but i'm straight till endgame. I wouldn't dare wear the stuff in combat, though I have promises from the craftsmen in question to be repaired free of charge. At the very least it gets alot of stops and stares. It amuses me to no end to have folks asking me where I bought my gil or if i'm an RMT myself. I like to think of it as being a billboard for some really great crafters - and hey, if they can cut me deals on gear for tossing business their way, how can I refuse?

Anyway I've got a bunch of screenshots to share.

If the gear looks this good now (amazing in different lighting) I can't imagine how it'll look at 99. Anyway, that's all for now. I'll try to get some screengrabs and maybe some video of the Rank 34 Uldah Mission when I get to it. Damn Fatigue ;p
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »

Not enough news to warrant a whole new entry but got some screenshots of Dreamtoad and Efts - some of the larger scale creatures i've ended up fighting in the level 40 leves. Efts are sadly the SP mob of choice for grind parties. They're cool to look at for the first hour then its like... Efts... great... more Efts... even more fabulous. Hey! a Dodo, I haven't seen one of those in a while... More Efts? Are you serious?

Anyway, here's Dreamtoad, the first real boss type leve mob I've fought outside of Faction leves. The toad model can be found around Mor'dhona but none of this size.

And here's the Eft *grumble*

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:32:37 AM »

Entry #2 Patch Day

Well the first of the two-part fix-it patch has arrived and I have to say i'm pretty impressed. Here's some of the stuff I really really loved!

1) The UI lag is pretty much eradicated and the new menus make much more sense. Navigation is easier too, though selling items require an additional confirmation screen which makes no sense.

2) The change to anima is huge. It might not seem like much, but it makes your paltry count stretch so much further. Having halved anima cost for cities as well as 3 favorites spots is awesome.

3) Combat Speed and Accuracy. I don't know if its a result of the division of server load or the increase in accuracy - its probably a mixture of both, but combat flows much more smoothly and seems faster (sometimes as much as 20%).

4) Synthesis support being increased from 5 min to an HOUR. Holy crap, crafting orgasm.

5) UI and graphics options. Having complete control over your widget placement and the addition of an on-screen SP/XP bar is godsend. By giving us more options for rendering, you can tweak the game's visuals/performance even more. Hell you can even use a different text font. The addition of transparency options and more chat filters really help the clutter. It probably also helps your calls to the server.

There's other little touches that are nice but these are basically my happy points. Still there's a couple changes that were annoying, though not unexpected.

1) Punshing Barbs got nerfed - it was inevitable. Its still a great ability on Thaum but its potency is somewhat lacking on other classes.

2) VIT and MND nerf - now everyone has about 100-400 less HP and MP due to this adjustment. Now I wouldn't complain too much since they increased the potency of some curing spells, but Shell is apparently quite broken. I was taking full on magic damage with it up on my LNC. Now I know they want to make abilities more job specific, but outright making them useless on other classes is somewhat counterproductive to the flexibility they promised with the Armory system.

3) Feint got nerfed - again, had to happen, but with the boost to accuracy this move is more strategic in nature. Even though they doubled the TP cost, I didn't notice too much difference since my opportunities to use it were less.

4) The complete revamping of the SP/EXP system. At first I was mortified about this change, since the 15 man SP parties were kind of fun in a chaotic way. Now partying for SP outside of guildleves is pointless. The con system has been fixed and this appears to be the scale. *

*This is by no means exact, this is just from my observations and what I've talked to people about.

Blue - Easy Prey - 0-60 SP - Must be able to give EXP in order to gain SP.
Green - Even Match - 80-120 SP - These seem to be the ideal mobs to solo on.
Yellow - Tough - 150-200 SP - May be decent for duoing, too long to kill to be worthwhile for SP.
Red-Red with Horns -Very Tough/Impossible to Gauge - Untested but I believe they are worth 400-500 solo, as in groups of 6 or more they are worth about 80-120 SP.

Guildleves however, ROCK. At level 34, I did 3 level 30 guildleves at 3 stars with Aspect and walked away with about 4k SP for 20 minutes of work. It might not seem huge, but before the patch I'd have gotten 0-1k for the whole thing. I haven't tried the leve-linking but I assume that's definitely a good option. Its certainly not as fast leveling as WoW but its consistent.

That's all the testing i've done so far, but feel free to discuss your own experiences or ask questions!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:25 AM »

It's been several weeks since my last entry but it hasn't been for a lack of activity. My new LS has been moving and grooving. Couple hours after the patch on 12/15 we went out and found Uraeus - one of the new world NMs (notorious monster) and kicked his ass. Here's the full story here. It was like fighting an easier version of Fafnir. Here are some action shots Arla took of the fight.

There have been some nice changes in this patch as well as a few discoveries I've made about the gameplay. Firstly, the additional free retainer was a sweet holiday treat from SE, though it didn't take me long to make my new servant a pack mule. The indefinite extension of the free trial was also awesome. Even if it's just another month, you can't beat the value. Especially since they keep polishing the game. Interface is a tad faster since patch, retainer interface is much faster too but still has room for improvement. The fixes to durability are SO incredibly welcome. We now have a percentage as well as a graphic indicator on the item stats box (looks like mobile phone bars) as well as lists what craft is actually necessary to repair the item. Also the item icon gets color coded in the inventory menu and equipment display when they get damaged. There's even a text display when you equip broken peices. Repairing is now a snap as it will automatically select the repair materials for you when you enter the repair menu.

Crafting recipes as well as repair requirements/materials were adjusted and make much more sense, e.g. Repairing a plate belt now requires armorsmithing and rivets rather than leatherwork and strips of leather. For the consummate crafter they've added a recipe book that remembers your last 8 synths and last 8 local leve orders, which saves so much time. Unfortunately the  leve recipe memory only remembers completed leves so it's only effective if you retake the same ones.

I bitched about how hard the SP gain was after rank 30, and it seems there is a better way than endlessly grinding. Guildleve linking is the way to go. Basically the more people who are on the same leve as you who link their quest to yours boosts the SP of mobs exponentially. I did 3 hours of leves with my LS mates across 2 rank 40 camps and walked away with 42k SP as well as 500k Gil. While still time consuming, it's nowhere near as tedious and there's some variety to be had.

Regarding the NMs that are fought via Factionleve, they're a bit involved. It seems that getting the actual quest for the NMs require you to complete a Factionleve chain before the real quest can be purchased. The faction point requirements are enormous. The first 2 in the chain are 100 a piece with the third and final Factionleve costing 400 points. For those that aren't familiar with faction points, these are awarded after each successful guildleve, between 4 and 12 each quest. Considering you need 600 points to even attempt one NM, your looking at at least a month before your first attempt. The one caveat you do have is that everyone who helps kill the NM gets a runestone to redeem for sweet gear. Though the stones are unique they can be traded, so I anticipate some crazy bazaar pricing.

All in all, pretty happy with the changes so far, though I'm anxiously looking forward to the new class and nation missions and the introduction of Companies. Everyone in LS is frothing at the mouth to build our ship :)

That's all for now. Will keep you all posted of new happenings and impressions as they occur. Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:45:29 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

Man, has it been busy busy lately. Some pretty noteworthy announcements in-game. They've implemented the first stage of the item search feature in the market wards. It's by actual item selection ala the AH in XI - the UI is eerily familiar. Its a little weird however, as you can search any ward, but the items have to be in the appropriate ward for them to be searchable. Ah well, its a step in the right direction - and they said there would be several upgrades to it over time. The holiday even was alot more enjoyable than I had anticipated and my LS had a HUGE holiday even in Uldah - pics will be forthcoming when I get them cropped etc.

I do have some other neat news. We took on Great Buffalo, the second of 4 new world NMs last night and took it down on the first attempt. Also got a new video of a Uraeus kill as well. Wish we could embed on the forums, but I guess links will have to do.

Great Buffalo Kill

Uraeus Kill

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »

Entry #4

It's been several weeks since the last entry. It's been a busy time crafting and ranking up. As I write this I'm close to hitting 48 on my LNC, with aspirations to hit 50 cap by next week. Just in time for the publication of the review. We've got some neat plans for it, I hope the community receives it well - it's a tremendous body of work. Anyway, enough with the self-plugs, some interesting developments in-game this week.

Firstly, we managed to defeat Dodore a few weeks back, you can view the kill video here. We also managed to kill Elder Mosshorn, but I wasn't present for that kill, and no one seems interested in farming him, so no video has yet to be published for us. As our LS has continued to grow, we've picked up some new techniques for gaining SP in leves as well as mob grinding. This week we nailed an LS first - 50K+ SP in one evening of guildleves across two camps (6 quests each person) as well as a personal best of 87K SP in one day. Fatigue be damned, 50 is just around the corner.

We did some experimentation with Battle Regimens (BR) and found them to be ungodly powerful. I was hitting R60 raptors for 1.5K damage consistently with Doomspike II - an ability that seldom breaks 500 when used on its own on ranking mobs. I managed to break 2700 damage on them last night as a 4th stack on the BR. Basically, the tutorial on lodestone is only half true - the effects can be multiplicative the more of a certain order is stacked. We found that using stacked spells from different classes before stacking weaponskills from different native combat classes gives a damage modifier of upwards of 400% damage to the last attack on the stack. For example:

CONJ spell > THM spell > PUG weaponskill (150%) >MRD weaponskill (200%) > LNC weaponskill (250%+) etc.

Now most people don't like using BR's because they lock you out of what you're using till the stack is executed. That's where macro's and voice communication comes into play. All BR's can be macro'd for a stack - its just up to everyone to communicate what they're doing and when. Even though mages have to cast their entire spell before it shows up in the BR UI, the moment they start casting they reserve that ordered spot in the stack - so everyone else can stack in their order and once the spells are finished casting, they are inserted into the proper timed order and are cast INSTANTLY once the BR is initiated. We were one shotting typical SP mobs in under 7 seconds with an average BR damage total of 5K. We even tried it on the terrifying Rank 65-69 Flame Drakes and took them out in about 15-20s each. Cannot wait to try it on Great Buffalo. Will definately have to FRAPS that.

Finally, I managed to accept and complete the FINAL Ul'dah storyline mission currently available in the game. It ends on a cliff hanger of course - but wow... I cannot wait to see what lies next. I'm uploading some videos to Youtube now, but you can view the HQ voiced cutscene from that mission's climax.

Rank 46 Ul'dah Mission - "Futures Perfect"

I hope you enjoy viewing it as much as I enjoyed playing it.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »

Congrats! Keep fighting the good fight.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 01:16:55 AM »

Journal Entry #5

Finally, just over 5 months since FFXIV's release....

DING! Rank 50 Lancer

After killing Uraeus several dozen times, we had enough skin to make pretty much everyone in the LS Silver Tricornes (the silver rimmed pirate hat). Though I wasn't the first LNC to hit R50, I was given our first Champion's Lance+1 which was an extreme honor. The thing hits like a truck, cannot wait to see the top end in 8 chain Battle Regimen. I also got the final Lancer weapon skill: Chaos Thrust, which was a bit of a rush/disappointment. It's basically penta-thrust (5 hits) that does almost double damage if the mob is at 20% HP or less, plus, like Doomspike - consumes TP over 2000 points to boost damage. What really sucks is the animation for the attack. I'll have to FRAPS a video to share, but its basically the Skewer animation (single thrust move) with a rapid rotation of illuminated spike thrust effects that rotate around the lance. I was hoping for some crazy Shaolin spear dance action. Ah well, at least it hits hella hard.

Though now that I've reached this milestone, I'm somewhat at an impasse. I've got pretty much all the other classes at 20+, but what to do next? I'm leaning toward finally laying the lance down for a bit and ranking up a craft to 50 so I can help out the tireless crafters in the LS. At the very least it'd be nice to repair my own gear, which is waaaaay above my current crafting capability lol. Still, having reached rank 50 leaves me a bit melancholy as I've already done all the endgame content they've added to the game thus far - and while I have a blast with my fellow LS brothers and sisters taking down these NMs, I can't help but want more things to do. I know its on the horizon, and there's alot of stuff to occupy myself till then, but the selfish kid in me wants it now.

In other news, my FFXIV review is done and should be up on the main page in a few days. Hopefully those who still follow this game will give it a read and find it informative.

Some late achievements, managed to bag all the Factionleve NMs last week, though the random nature of the Runestone drops for equipment sucks considering how many faction points are required to purchase the quests. I've got vids of the kills here:

Tarhbe Uisge Factionleve NM Kill
Zanig'oh Factionleve NM Kill
Deadeyes Factionleve NM Kill

Enjoy the witty banter, next time I'll dub it to Eye of the Tiger or something equally inappropriate :)

Oh, managed to nab a vid (finally!) of a Bloatbelly kill. He's the unpublicized Goblin NM they added in the last patch.

Haughtpox Bloatbelly NM Kill

This wednesday we're getting the first official numbered patch as well. Patch 1.15a is supposed to add even more UI and Market Ward streamlining (item search will now show sale prices) and revamp how group SP gain works etc. plus the usual unannounced till patch day details.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »

Journal Entry #6

Patch 1.15a dropped yesterday and for such a small patch, it's had a dramatic impact on the game. SP gain has basically been given an ungodly boost. It's rewarded now based on the rank difference between you and the mob, or you and your recipe. SP gains on guildleves last night were topping off at 890 SP.... a KILL!?!?!?!? I did five ranks in under 4 hours via guildleve links - ARC 20-24 and MRD 20-22. Crafting also, I was getting 500-600 SP per synth non-leve for recipies a few ranks above my craft. The crafting and gathering animations have also been sped up dramatically. It's almost like Abyssea XP... shit is KRAZY.

In other news - FFXIV review is now live on the front page for those who are interested in reading it.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

Nice to see the game is improving. I may eventually give it a try.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »

They still have a long way to go. The new team just put out the second Players Poll as well as added new stuff to the to-do list. They added instanced dungeon and instance raid encounters to the dev cycle but the revision of max group size is upsetting. 4-man groups, 8 man raids. I really enjoyed the 15 man beatdowns but I guess it's another bone for casuals. Hopefully they make the new content challenging for those group sizes. No clue how it's going to affect behest but it's killed alot of grouping for guildleves which means even less links and even less SP gain for even slower ranking. Personally I'm starting to think they have no clear vision for the game and the lack of direction is going to hurt them. There's only so much good will their remaining playerbase will give them.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »

Recently came into the ownership of a new laptop. The thing can just barely play XIV (Radeon HD 5650, it was rated decently online but the benchmark seemed to think otherwise), so I set on medium settings overall (Most are default, I turned shadows down a bit). I'm sure I still dip under 30 FPS every now and then, but oh well, you take what you can get. At any rate, I decided to fire up my account and give the game another shot.

Just an idea for those of you with mediocre computers what you'll get to look at if you decide to play this game.

Not too far into playing. I want to focus a bit more on gathering/crafting than on combat since I didn't do that as much my first run with the game. I'll give some general thoughts.

-It's nice they got rid a lot of the UI lag, though there is still some unneeded pauses when I flip through menus and such. Not a big deal, but it's there.
-The con system is still really misleading sometimes. I kinda wish they had the action bar default to you pressing confirm only in active mode- that way, they could've have a small menu for some basic actions like checking and bazaar browsing, like in XI. Some more information from the check system would be nice.
-I like the gathering to an extent, since it's a lot more involving than your typical "click this, get item" thing a lot of MMOs do. However, the messages I get after each attempt don't seem to tell me very much (EX You sense copper ore above where you are mining)- I just seem to get whatever random materials a given level of node will spit out.
-The crafting, too, tries to be more involving, but there's actually 0 skill involved, unlike gathering which needs both luck and skill. I would assume that bold synthesis is the key to making HQ items in case I ever attempt some high level crafts, and rapid synthesis can be used as a last-ditch effort if I'm really far from the finish line with low durability. However, everything seems to go just fine hammering normal synthesis over and over if I want to level, so it's rather dull. I'm not too sure what wait does. I was also a bit disappointed to see that all the crafts had the same minigame when they tried to make logging, mining, and fishing all a slight bit different. Ah well.

Out of the combat classes, I've leveled Gladiator the most, but I've been taking a liking to Pugilist. I'm a bit lost on how I should spread out my stats. I recently found out that apparently my base stats would affect my crafting classes, as well. I've put a ton of points into dexterity, so dunno if I should start changing that around while I'm still relatively low level.

As you can see, I'm mining, so I decided to pick up crafts related to that, namely smithing, goldsmithing, and armorsmith. I also picked up leathercraft leves since there was only 2 for each of those.

I'll stick with it a bit longer. Not sure if I'd be willing to pay for the game monthly when the time comes, though.

EDIT: Being the shallow person I am, I went to the Market Wards, determined to not leave until my character looked spiffy in battle. I managed to get some bronze haubergeon and gauntlets. Unfortunately, I ran out of money after those two purchases so now I look like a dork running around in heavy body armor and gloves with work pants and shoes.

I'm sure I got ripped off, but I don't really care that much at this point.

The armor definately looks nice. Nice that I can wear whatever armor at any level.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:25:21 AM by Hathen » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »

They still have a long way to go. The new team just put out the second Players Poll as well as added new stuff to the to-do list. They added instanced dungeon and instance raid encounters to the dev cycle but the revision of max group size is upsetting. 4-man groups, 8 man raids. I really enjoyed the 15 man beatdowns but I guess it's another bone for casuals. Hopefully they make the new content challenging for those group sizes.

It's possible, but it depends on how dedicated their team is to it I guess.  Cataclysm's first tier of raiding has a lot of content that is harder on 10 man (especially on heroic, not as much on regular).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »

To Hathen:

Glad your giving the game another go. Crafting is pretty monotonous if you keep it safe. For the best skillups you have to work with the higher level synths 3-10 above your level. HQing items is particularly dicey as your best chances for HQ are during the full moon which makes all synths harder due to elemental instability. "Wait" allows you a random chance of resetting any elemental chaos, which can explode and cost you massive amounts of durability. If your low rank crafting through local leves, you won't pick up these nuances till much later.

Sadly I'm on a bit of a hiatus from XIV till they add more content. A bunch of us decided to check out XI for a while and take in Abyssea and some of the content left unfinished for us from years back, so it's been a fun experience so far. I really wish there was some collaboration from the current XI dev team to XIV's new crew because some of the content is really enjoyable.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »

Journal Entry #7

Patch 1.19 dropped yesterday bringing a ton of new additions and adjustments to the game. It's been a loooong time since I've played, so I missed out on the first round of instanced dungeons. Hopefully i'll get a crack at those over the next few days once my LS is finished learning and farming Ifrit.

Anyway here are some of the major additions people will care about.

Airships! At most it's a 5 minute wait at each dock, and once the airship arrives, you have a departing cinematic and an arrival cinematic. There's no wandering around deck at this time, though they promised they'd add that in a future patch.

Chocobos! It only took them year. You can rent them for a small fee, but they only last for 10 minutes and are 150% run speed. The ones with the barding, as shown in this photo, is the personal chocobo you can buy with your license you gain from joining one of the three Grand Companies. Each company has a different barding, and these chocobos are 200% run speed and can be called whenever you want them, have zero timer and basically function like any other MMO mount.

Ifrit battle has two seperate encounters. Your first fight with him is a level 25 burning circle, and is a total pushover, his hyper-form level is 45+ and he's a fucking nightmare. Major splash damage via teleports and dashes, laser beams that cause the ground the explode and that's before he's even 50%, after that he's got copies, turns the ground to lava and all other kids of bullshit. We're still working on him. This pic is from his EZ mode.

There's a bunch of other stuff that hit with this patch, not all of it great. They introduced the materia system, which is basically a gem slot system that uses old equipment as the basis for materia. In true SE fashion, the system is needless complicated with major time sinks and rotten risks. They also made all the old equipment made with recipies outdated, so they can't be slotted, and some can't even be converted. Hell, even some gear stats are decreased. Its almost like starting everyone at square 1 again - not cool. The new levequest system is cool. every 12 hours you get 4 credits to spend on leves, and you can store up to 99 of them.

This patch really rolled out the Grand Companies, as there's now company uniforms and major cutscenes as well as several new quests/leves associated with them. Some of them suck, but a few are really cool. For example, one of them shows you how the leader of the Immortal Flames came into his power and you FINALLY get to meet Uldah's Sultana (she's so fucking adorable). In fact, you HAVE to do a ton of Grand Company stuff for the Ifrit quest chain, so its pretty interesting if not time consuming. The storyline is really picking up some steam. You get to meet one of the major Garlean Judges, the White Raven, who is so bad ass, it hurts.

Here's the Uldah Immortal Flames uniform... from Soviet Eorzea...

I gotta say, the game is shaping up really well, but I can't stand the auto attack system. Its incredibly slow, the cooldown timers for everything is 3 times longer than it needs to be, though the level 50 weaponskill redesigns are holy hell amazing.

Chaos Thrust, Level 50 Lancer Weaponskill

According to Yoshi-P, they're about 50% of the revisions and additions they want to add, so hopefully some more battle fine tuning will be in order. They will be adding classic jobs as advanced classes in the next few patches too. One I have a little more time and exposure to all the content i've missed there will be another review update.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:32:35 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: