Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327997 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Non-medieval and non-futuristic RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Non-medieval and non-futuristic RPGs?  (Read 2820 times)
keeperxiii

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »

Hi guys, this is my first post, I'm happy to be here XD!

So, I really like rpgs but I'm reaaaaly tired of all the medieval/futuristic/whatever-disgaea-is RPGs...

The thing is, 2 years ago I finally played FF8 from start to finish (sort of, damn rushed game >() and I loved it from start to... well, forget the OMGAUD-forgot-to-save-tha-world ending. Why did I loved it? Because it "resembled" modern times and because the emphasis was on the characters and not on the epic stories.

So, can you good guys and gals help me find some good RPGs that focus on modern times and character relations (I understand that saving the world will have to be a necessary evil -_- but still)?

I really like following TV shows and FF8 really reminded me of them. I was always rushing home to find out what happened in the latest "episode".

Mind you, I don't want soap-operas, ha.

Thank you all
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

I feel like all we ever talk about around the forums these days is Shin Megami Tensei, but you are most definiately looking for a Persona game. Character driven story, set in the present day with fantastic gameplay and a good story.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »

I feel like all we ever talk about around the forums these days is Shin Megami Tensei...
That's because the Shin Megami Tensei series consists of copious amounts of awesome. With that said I recommend anything that carries that Shin Megami Tensei surtitle wholeheartedly. It's best thing since sliced beard.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »

Shin Megami Tensei, Earthbound, and The World Ends With You sound right up your ally. There's also Freedom Fighters if you're interested in trying a Western RPG. I suppose Fallout is Sci-fi, even though it's technically retro-future/Post-apocalyptic?

Chrono Trigger also gave me a similar feeling to what you described, despite technically being Sci-fi/fantasy, it still felt very much to me like I was following a cartoon, and I kept wanting to find out what would happen in the next "episode".
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:09:33 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »

I would read some reviews before playing, but an obvious recent example is Alpha Protocol.  You should be able to get it really cheap now, too.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »

I think you would like the Shadow Hearts series considering they take place in the early 20th century.  At least try the first game if you can find it, since in my view it is the best of the lot.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is the best modern WRPG, if not one of the few.

The Dreamfall/Longest Journey games also apply, though they're graphic adventures, not RPGs per se.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:11:25 PM »

The Dreamfall/Longest Journey games also apply, though they're graphic adventures, not RPGs per se.

Hell, you should add Heavy Rain on the list then...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »

I wish I had more to add to this discussion, but I just had to say that I love that you love FFVIII for all the same reasons that I love it.  The ending was quite underwhelming, but the experience was totally worthwhile.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »

ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman is set in modern times but it is a very cartoony world with superheroes and stuff.  I know you said you're tired of Disgaea (or just the setting, not sure which) but it really isn't that similar beyond the graphics style and humor in the game.   
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:07 AM »

Uhm... Okage: Shadow King is set in a quirky, Tim Burton-esque kind of modern world?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »

Uhm... Okage: Shadow King is set in a quirky, Tim Burton-esque kind of modern world?

Why have I not heard of this game?!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »

It came out about a decade ago; one of the PS2's first RPGs.

I second Alpha Protocol.  It's got its flaws, but overall, it's got lots to like.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »

I'd just like to make a correction: I meant Freedom Force, not freedom Fighters. Freedom Force is a WRPG, Freedom Fighters is a crumby last gen TPS.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:12:14 PM »

There the whole 'it came out in 2001' thing. Also, if I recall correctly, this was the first game by some unknown developer and also their last.

It's pretty unique. The battlesystem feels ancient and clunky, but the characters, the story and some interesting design choices more than make up for it. I loved the dramatic twist somewhere around 2/3 into the game. Very original. The game isn't exactly long or difficult, so the gameplay probably won't bother you too much.

If you can get this for less than $20, go for it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: