Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 06:57:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334462 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Non-medieval and non-futuristic RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Non-medieval and non-futuristic RPGs?  (Read 2872 times)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »

I vote third on Alpha Protocol.Tons of different endings,interesting characters and a modern,political style tinderbox situation of an incoming global war

keeperxiii

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »

That's because the Shin Megami Tensei series consists of copious amounts of awesome. With that said I recommend anything that carries that Shin Megami Tensei surtitle wholeheartedly. It's best thing since sliced beard.

Shin Megami Tensei, Earthbound, and The World Ends With You sound right up your ally. There's also Freedom Fighters if you're interested in trying a Western RPG. I suppose Fallout is Sci-fi, even though it's technically retro-future/Post-apocalyptic?

Chrono Trigger also gave me a similar feeling to what you described, despite technically being Sci-fi/fantasy, it still felt very much to me like I was following a cartoon, and I kept wanting to find out what would happen in the next "episode".

I'm thinking about Devil Survivor and The World Ends With You for the ds but devil survivor looks like a diluted and more kiddie version of the Shin Megami games. And TWEWY looks a bit kiddie too. I'll reserve these as a last option.

Chrono Trigger IS my favorite game of all time actually XD, followed by FFVIII and Shadow of the Colossus XD and I've heard about Freedom Force (and all the other games that you guys mentioned except Okage and Ranger, THANKS A LOT for all your replies people ^__^) but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Hell, you should add Heavy Rain on the list then...

I'm actually playing Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy now ^_^! Great game and the kind of mature story rarely seen in games (which is one of the things that I want in a rpg).

I wish I had more to add to this discussion, but I just had to say that I love that you love FFVIII for all the same reasons that I love it.  The ending was quite underwhelming, but the experience was totally worthwhile.

I also endorse this pot :D! You are awesome, good sir!

As for the persona games.. I don't know if I'll be getting a PS2 in the next few months so I don't know about that but I've been meaning to try the one that came out on the PSX (is there a workaround to the horrible differences between the Jap original and the US version? My japanese is still not good enough for the original lol) or the NES/SNES ones, even with that horrible first person perspective.

The thing is.. it's hard to find a good, mature story in videogames without epic proportions(aka fareheint and FF8 pre-ending)...

Thank you all people!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 03:08:12 PM »

I'm with you, FF8 is one of my favorite games, and for the same reasons. The ending has some weirdness (whole time-distortion desert thing), but I actually really like a lot of the ending too, especially Laguna visiting the grave, and I absolutely LOVE the whole videocamera sequence, it's great to see the characters just being themselves, I really appreciated that about that game, is that you got to know who the characters were, and not just in the context of "we're here to save the world!" But yeah, the time distortion thing is wonky, you either have to just look past it, or you're not going to enjoy the game at all.

But yeah, I've been at a good loss on modern RPGs. Everyone around here loves the Shin Migami games (they never took to me), and while I see their merrit, I don't think they're anything like what you're talking about. You should still play them, because I've never seen a game more likely to be liked (did I mention I was in the extreme minority?), but even though they're modern day, the narrative is very Gothic. The two Persona games I've played were very multiple-personality: half the time you're in a completely normal world, and the other time, you're in an upside down Gothic dreamworld. But if you're going for more the lines of Final Fantasy 8 or Earthbound, where the fantasy is woven into the present-day, or not at all like Alpha Protocol, then I'm not sure what to suggest. Shadow Hearts was mentioned, and that does make sense, historical fiction/fantasy. For non RPGs Alan Wake is a good one that really hammers the "present day" feel, while maintaining it's horror/suspense fantasy. Of course, the whole Metal Gear series is very present day, but it's more like a comic book than anything else.

Bottom line is, this is an area that has been extremely under-exploited. Western developers seem much more apt to do modern day things, and even then, short of Alpha Protocol, the RPG genre doesn't get much love. Let me know if anything turns up.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm thinking about Devil Survivor and The World Ends With You for the ds but devil survivor looks like a diluted and more kiddie version of the Shin Megami games. And TWEWY looks a bit kiddie too. I'll reserve these as a last option.
I'm not exactly sure what mean by kiddie. I haven't play The World Ends With You yet but it's pretty highly regarded. Devil Survivor on the other hand is one of the most interesting and engaging strategy RPG's I've played in a while. If you get them I'm sure you won't regret it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:06:38 PM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

keeperxiii

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »

I'm with you, FF8 is one of my favorite games, and for the same reasons. The ending has some weirdness (whole time-distortion desert thing), but I actually really like a lot of the ending too, especially Laguna visiting the grave, and I absolutely LOVE the whole videocamera sequence, it's great to see the characters just being themselves, I really appreciated that about that game, is that you got to know who the characters were, and not just in the context of "we're here to save the world!" But yeah, the time distortion thing is wonky, you either have to just look past it, or you're not going to enjoy the game at all.

I understand you completely, I just didn't like that the ending (and it's gameplay) was rushed into a "we-gotta-save-the-world" part.

But yeah, I've been at a good loss on modern RPGs. Everyone around here loves the Shin Migami games (they never took to me), and while I see their merrit, I don't think they're anything like what you're talking about. You should still play them, because I've never seen a game more likely to be liked (did I mention I was in the extreme minority?), but even though they're modern day, the narrative is very Gothic. The two Persona games I've played were very multiple-personality: half the time you're in a completely normal world, and the other time, you're in an upside down Gothic dreamworld. But if you're going for more the lines of Final Fantasy 8 or Earthbound, where the fantasy is woven into the present-day, or not at all like Alpha Protocol, then I'm not sure what to suggest. Shadow Hearts was mentioned, and that does make sense, historical fiction/fantasy. For non RPGs Alan Wake is a good one that really hammers the "present day" feel, while maintaining it's horror/suspense fantasy. Of course, the whole Metal Gear series is very present day, but it's more like a comic book than anything else.

I hear you, I want something along the lines of FF8 or earthbound, Shadow Hearts looks promising.

It's hard to find a good story in gaming that involves mostly (or only) a character driven story without a specific good-vs-bad theme. Something mature and dramatic (again, like indigo prophecy).

Bottom line is, this is an area that has been extremely under-exploited. Western developers seem much more apt to do modern day things, and even then, short of Alpha Protocol, the RPG genre doesn't get much love. Let me know if anything turns up.

It's all medieval stuff xD! Can you imagine alpha protocol wth another story(non medieval and non futuristic) getting publicity?

I'm not exactly sure what mean by kiddie. I haven't play The World Ends With You yet but it's pretty highly regarded. Devil Survivor on the other hand is one of the most interesting and engaging strategy RPG's I've played in a while. If you get them I'm sure you won't regard it.

I've meant "kiddie" as in: it looks like the storyline of those 2 games is focused more on "cool" teenage stuff than the PS2 and PSone Shin Megami and FF8 cousins, if you are understanding me. Not that they're not every bit as awesome though, I'm just looking for something more mature now.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »

I've meant "kiddie" as in: it looks like the storyline of those 2 games is focused more on "cool" teenage stuff than the PS2 and PSone Shin Megami and FF8 cousins, if you are understanding me.
I really don't get what you are talking about but whatever works for you.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »

I'd steer away from Alpha Protocol if I were you, but it seems that we have a lot of people who like it here. Try it first before buying it.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 05:31:32 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what mean by kiddie. I haven't play The World Ends With You yet but it's pretty highly regarded. Devil Survivor on the other hand is one of the most interesting and engaging strategy RPG's I've played in a while. If you get them I'm sure you won't regard it.

I've meant "kiddie" as in: it looks like the storyline of those 2 games is focused more on "cool" teenage stuff than the PS2 and PSone Shin Megami and FF8 cousins, if you are understanding me. Not that they're not every bit as awesome though, I'm just looking for something more mature now.

I wouldn't describe the characters in Devil Survivor as "Cool, trendy teens", to be honest. They're just normal kids. I'm with Melancholy on this one, SMT: DS is THE most engaging SRPG I've ever played, and much of that is due to the story and characters, whom come off as being, well, natural. The characters are believable in my opinion, more so that I've seen any other game, and that includes the other SMT games, besides maybe Strange Journey. That's an impressive feat if you ask me.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
keeperxiii

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »

I wouldn't describe the characters in Devil Survivor as "Cool, trendy teens", to be honest. They're just normal kids. I'm with Melancholy on this one, SMT: DS is THE most engaging SRPG I've ever played, and much of that is due to the story and characters, whom come off as being, well, natural. The characters are believable in my opinion, more so that I've seen any other game, and that includes the other SMT games, besides maybe Strange Journey. That's an impressive feat if you ask me.

Ok, thanks guys, I'll think I'll try Devil Survivor.

And btw mickeymac92 i've never heard of Strange Journey, is it that good?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »

The Persona games may harbor around teenage casts, but they're better written and more genuine than most any RPG teenagers who act like little kids.  Some of the stuff the teenage cast talks about in Persona 2: Innocent Sin is pretty deep. 

In fact, I think in some ways, Innocent Sin is what FF8 wanted to be.  Those games have similar themes (i.e. shared childhoods, characters with father issues, navigating interpersonal relationships) but I felt like Innocent Sin handled those themes much more effectively.  Then again, I'm a huge Persona fan and I love those games because they feature darkly twisted modern settings with believable characters I could actually relate to.  Even those of us who loathe child characters in RPGs were charmed by 5 year-old Nanako in Persona 4. 

As for The World Ends With You, sure one of the themes is teenagers influencing trends (it's part of the gameplay) but it does so in a unique way.  The only caveats are that the battle system is a bit chaotic and the main character will try your patience for the first 1/3 of the game.  There's a reason why he acts like a typical JRPG prick at first and becomes more whole-hearted later, but some players may not stomach him long enough. 

And as an aside, Esthar in FF8 is one of the coolest RPG cities I've ever been in.  The only downside was that the music got a bit annoying.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »

Everything's great at your Junes! ♪

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
keeperxiii

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »

The Persona games may harbor around teenage casts, but they're better written and more genuine than most any RPG teenagers who act like little kids.  Some of the stuff the teenage cast talks about in Persona 2: Innocent Sin is pretty deep. 

In fact, I think in some ways, Innocent Sin is what FF8 wanted to be.  Those games have similar themes (i.e. shared childhoods, characters with father issues, navigating interpersonal relationships) but I felt like Innocent Sin handled those themes much more effectively.  Then again, I'm a huge Persona fan and I love those games because they feature darkly twisted modern settings with believable characters I could actually relate to.  Even those of us who loathe child characters in RPGs were charmed by 5 year-old Nanako in Persona 4. 

As for The World Ends With You, sure one of the themes is teenagers influencing trends (it's part of the gameplay) but it does so in a unique way.  The only caveats are that the battle system is a bit chaotic and the main character will try your patience for the first 1/3 of the game.  There's a reason why he acts like a typical JRPG prick at first and becomes more whole-hearted later, but some players may not stomach him long enough. 

And as an aside, Esthar in FF8 is one of the coolest RPG cities I've ever been in.  The only downside was that the music got a bit annoying.

Now I really have to try persona and the megami games...

I also found Koudelka for the psx, I've forgotten about that game.. and vagrant story, which is medieval but the story is interesting.

And you gotta love Esthar ^_^
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »

Control-F "Parasite Eve"
Shame on you.  Shame on all of you.

At least someone mentioned Shadow Hearts.

You might want to try Valkyria Chronicles, since that's something of an alternate reality Earth with some fantasy elements thrown in to make it more interesting.  I think it's what you're looking for.

Jeanne d'Arc is, erm, historical but to be taken very lightly.  Historical Fantasy is a good way to put it.

I'll personally recommend Skies of Arcadia.  It most certainly is neither futuristic or medieval.  It's stuck at the weird place in-between, but it might not be what you're looking for since it's not based on modern times.

You might be interested in some of the Wild ARMs games.  Some of them are also in the "stuck in-between" two bit, but aren't directly medieval or futuristic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:32:05 PM by Cyril » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 07:29:32 PM »

Koudelka and Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army are two games that I felt had incredible atmosphere and utilized alternate realities of time periods not often seen in RPGs.  Some of their gameplay elements were a bit disagreeable though, dare I say clunky?  Shadow Hearts improved upon Koudelka's precedent immensely and Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon improved upon its predecessor's precedent by leaps and bounds.  

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 09:42:37 PM »

Control-F "Parasite Eve"
Shame on you.  Shame on all of you.

At least someone mentioned Shadow Hearts.

You might want to try Valkyria Chronicles, since that's something of an alternate reality Earth with some fantasy elements thrown in to make it more interesting.  I think it's what you're looking for.

Jeanne d'Arc is, erm, historical but to be taken very lightly.  Historical Fantasy is a good way to put it.

I'll personally recommend Skies of Arcadia.  It most certainly is neither futuristic or medieval.  It's stuck at the weird place in-between, but it might not be what you're looking for since it's not based on modern times.

You might be interested in some of the Wild ARMs games.  Some of them are also in the "stuck in-between" two bit, but aren't directly medieval or futuristic.

I don't know how I forgot about all of those games, but I second all of that. Especially VC, Jeanna d'Arc, Skies of Arcadia, and Wild Arms.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: