Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:29:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330189 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Progmetal of mine... (links fixed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Progmetal of mine... (links fixed)  (Read 1459 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »

I just finished a progmetal epic that's sort of been in the making for about a year now. I thought would be popular around here since it combines two things that everyone's into around here: progmetal and sci-fi. It's called "412-A", and my girlfriend and I will be releasing it on our upcoming album. Most of the album is more acoustic, but I just had to get this one in there.

412-A

And for the more progrock end of things, here's another good one (this is even more recent that 412-A):
Conversation

And for those who love big, crunchy orchestral scores:
Panic

Edit: Sorry about the broken links before, folks. Everything should be running okay now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:38:44 AM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »

Man, this is really sad... noone said anything. Is there still a problem with the links or something? Or do people just hate it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »

I don't remember seeing this, downloading now.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »

OK, 412-A is really good, I really like the sounds you use. The beginning is really atmospheric, then around the 3 minute mark it becomes more upbeat, I like how you handled that, the whole song flows really well.

Conversation sounds like something you'd hear on an Ayreon album, very nice song, I loved that part around 2:50 and the way it builds up, first with your vocals and then with both of you.

Panic really isn't my cup of tea. You did a nice job with the orchestration but the song didn't click with me.

The vocals are done by you and your girlfriend right? She has talent man.

I really like your work on the keyboard. You know how people say that Derek Sherinian always had the right sound for the right moment when he was in DT? That's what I mean.

412-A is definitely my favorite, great song man.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »

I didn't realize people ever said that, but I sure do! Derek is THE MAN! So that's a big compliment.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »

Is the band name a Myst reference?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »

Is the band name a Myst reference?

Yup. Both Margaret and I were playing through Cyan games at the time, we figured it worked with our style... combination of pastoral and geeky. The geeks will get the reference, and everybody else will just think it's pretty.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »

IDK if it's that geeky. A loooot of people played Myst. Granted, that was a long time ago so maybe it's more a question of memory. Also a lot of them sucked at it an never got of Myst, but regardless :P

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »

So I listened first to "Conversation" and (hope you don't mind me comparing you) I was immediately brought to Electric Light Orchestra.  You break down the tempo at about 3:00 in a dramatic way and pop back towards the end.  Of the three this was the easiest to follow in terms of the lyrics' story.  And also probably my favorite of the three.

"412-A" was very, very different.  Creepy and dark.  All sorts of industrial sounds and spacey synth that helped me envision a morbid sci-fi future.  I do think both of you are good vocalists, but I liked when your girlfriend sound in the higher register.  When she sang lower, it just didn't sound as rich.  

"Panic" I didn't like too much at all.  The lyrics were really good.  The instrumentals felt all over the place and I was really only interested in the "brighter" sections around the 2 minute mark.  I like how you blend your voices together at that point.

Overall, cool stuff you got going on here.  I don't think I could ever put out an album, so you get major kudos in my book.

Edit:  Went to bed and could not for the life of me get the "Conversation" melody out of my head.  It's quite catchy!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:10:32 PM by Alexander » Logged

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »

I did notice this, but haven't had much time to sit down and listen to this.  Soon, I promise.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »

I know this sounds bad, but I set my bar a lot lower - I'm actually really impressed (sorry, fan work can be a real hit or miss sometimes, so it's just what I've come to expect)... Conversation I think worked the best, overall worked for good flow and a different sound then the others - the most optimistic sounding as well.

I liked the orchestral piece, but the voicing doesn't always match or hit the piece right.  It's got potential, but just still a tad off.

And the prog rock one (the 1st one) was great for being what it is.  Nice instrument variety and the melody works as well. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »

I didn't elaborate on why I didn't like the orchestral piece as much as the other tracks but Dice saved me the trouble because I had exactly the same thoughts.
Thanks Dice.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »

Hmmm, don't know really what to make of the reaction to Panic, everyone I've shown it to other places seems to really love it. Not to say that your opinions aren't valid, I'm just a bit surprised, that's all. It is a very chromatic piece, not atonal, but fairly outside traditional tonality. It ended up reminding me of some Samuel Barber, but I wouldn't say that was a major inspiration. Is it more the instruments and orchestration, the vocal delivery that bothers you?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »

The vocals didn't seem to fit the song, I dunno, maybe it will grow on me with a few more spins.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: